jeep ecodiesel in the ike gauntlet torture (tow) test...well this doesn't look good - Page 7

jeep ecodiesel in the ike gauntlet torture (tow) test...well this doesn't look good

This is a discussion on jeep ecodiesel in the ike gauntlet torture (tow) test...well this doesn't look good within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Another interesting article - don't see anywhere it showing the differences between Jeep and RAM. But some pretty cool pics of the transmission all the ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: jeep ecodiesel in the ike gauntlet torture (tow) test...well this doesn't look good

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Diesel
    Liked
    155 times
    Another interesting article - don't see anywhere it showing the differences between Jeep and RAM. But some pretty cool pics of the transmission all the same:

845RE / 8R70: ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission for Chrysler cars

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3897 times

This is a picture of a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel radiator. It's a simple radiator with none of the shutters and other coolant things you have in an Ecodiesel 1500.

Now look at the engine.

That's the oil filter back there behind that "whatever". it's not mounted on the same kind of cast housing with drip pan that's on the 1500.

The entire layout of the engine is really different in the Jeep. You don't even have a battery up top and I saw no foam pads under that different cover.

This engine is supposed to the same thing as the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel but the layout and parts show changes.

I did check and the number on the transmission is the same as a Hemi but also a new Ecodiesel 1500 I saw at the dealer today had the same part number for the transmission. Guess it's the same tranny without the cooler. Not sure there.

All of this could be factors in how it runs under tow compared to a 1500 Ecodiesel.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    187 times
    That is an oil cooler in front of the oil filter in Captain's 2nd picture above.
    As soon as I come up with something cool, it will go here ->

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3897 times
    Was wondering what that was. It's along the side of the engine and not out into the air flow near the radiator.

Also noted by looking at window stickers that this Jeep had the same transmission number as a 1500 Ecodiesel they had there. Pretty certain it's 8HP70.

Member #
    Liked
    543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Was wondering what that was. It's along the side of the engine and not out into the air flow near the radiator.

That's because it's not really a "Cooler". It's a heat exchanger. Cooling water runs though part of it, and the oil in the other part. SO... the oil can never (really) be cooler than the coolant. (radiator) The transmission is the same way.

The Positive of it is:

1) It can pull more heat out of the oil and trans faster than a traditional cooler.

2) helps maintain proper running temps.

3) Warms the fluids faster for better efficancy.

The negatives are:

1) Takes longer for the antifreeze to warm up. (with a diesel it takes long enough)

2) When pushed VERY hard... you are at the mercy of ONLY the main radiator for all the cooling.

I'm really hopping that the Ram radiator is larger than the GC.

Just a thought.... if you are doing heavy towing, in the mountains, all the time... you could get a simple 1 gal water tank, and a could spray nozzles from the garden store... and mist water in front of the radiator to help cool faster.
    Tony

First EcoDiesel:
    Ordered: 2/28, (2014) Built: 3/27, Delivered: 4/17. (7 weeks total)
    1500 ecodiesel, Bighorn, 4x4, Crew, 5'7" bed. Cherry red pearl

New EcoDiesel:
    Dealer Lot, 2016 Laramie, Blue, with everything other that air ride.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '17 Laramie 4x4 Hemi
    Liked
    624 times
    or....test the ED and then we could all see for ourselves and everyone can then yell at me for bringing this entire thing up, or i can all point at you and scream nahnahnah told you so. both of which will be acceptable responses.
    Last edited by jeffjcalweb; 05-31-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    TFLtruck has already test he ED? When?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    '88 BMW 535is, Ram 1500 Laramie
    Liked
    227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    That's because it's not really a "Cooler". It's a heat exchanger. Cooling water runs though part of it, and the oil in the other part. SO... the oil can never (really) be cooler than the coolant. (radiator) The transmission is the same way.

The Positive of it is:
    1) It can pull more heat out of the oil and trans faster than a traditional cooler.
    2) helps maintain proper running temps.
    3) Warms the fluids faster for better efficancy.

The negatives are:
    1) Takes longer for the antifreeze to warm up. (with a diesel it takes long enough)
    2) When pushed VERY hard... you are at the mercy of ONLY the main radiator for all the cooling.
    Does not pull more heat out of the oil vs. a traditional cooler. Heat xfer is proportional to the temp difference. Ambient air is cooler than engine coolant so a conventional oil cooler would be more efficient. A separate oil cooler is the most common design for a reason.

Helps maintain running temp how? A thermostat could do that easily enough

Doesn't take longer for engine coolant to warm up. That's what the thermostat is for.

For those of us that tow, a real oil cooler may be called for. I bet a kit shows up on the market pretty soon.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. -E. Burke
    www.Gress.org

Member #
    Vehicle
    '17 Laramie 4x4 Hemi
    Liked
    624 times
    for what its worth,here's really why i'm interested in this test.

first, i certainly don't live 9k' above sea level... but i DO drive a 7% grade hill every day up and down, all year long. most of that time, it is just me and family ... but in the summer times, it is my family and trailer with weight around 5500lbs - certainly that's well under the tow rating of any ED model/trim.

my tundra pulled just fine but in the 3 years i had it, and only 34K miles, i had 3 front sets of brakes ... THREE f'ing total replacements of the front brakes at 8k, 18K and 32K before i finally said "enough". no it didn't have brake controller, but the trailer was equipped with surge brakes, and of course, i could literally watch my fuel gauge just drop as i drove.

there are also a couple of times a year i drive to Yosemite and there are a couple of hills that are long grades, including one called "Old Priest Grade" which is a whopping 17% grade, its no joke...

i'm driving them in dead of summer, and i've seen enough vehicles w/trailers pulled over to the side of the road.

so sure, i am confident that the ED is going to do better than the Tundra, I do believe that 100% - but my experience with the Tundra has left me ...doubting ... manufacturers claims of just how well their vehicle performs in different conditions. i'd just like to see someone else put it through some paces that will give me a little more comfort knowing when i need it, the ability is there.

Member #
    Liked
    543 times
    My Dad' last F-150 would eat breaks too. At first I figured he was driving with 2 feet, and dragging the breaks.... but he wasn't. (just a bad design)

My 2010 Ram went 40,000 mi before I changed the front pads. When I did... they still had a good 5.~8k mi left on them. And mind you... I do a lot of towing during the summer. AND... I drug my boat 600 mi once, with the brakes not working. (Truck stopped it fine)

The Ram breaks are really well built for the size of the truck.
    Tony

First EcoDiesel:
    Ordered: 2/28, (2014) Built: 3/27, Delivered: 4/17. (7 weeks total)
    1500 ecodiesel, Bighorn, 4x4, Crew, 5'7" bed. Cherry red pearl

New EcoDiesel:
    Dealer Lot, 2016 Laramie, Blue, with everything other that air ride.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links