RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

finally did it. got the "TUNE"!

6K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  kmcintyre 
#1 ·
after a whole year of reading opinions, posts, and watching videos on youtube, I've decided to get the GDE tune. sent out a spare ECM yesterday that I'd bought off of ebay from a totaled 2016 tradesman diesel. the main reason why I decided to go with Keith at GDE is when I did some personal research of his back ground. turns out he's mentioned in a few peoples thesis's and it looks like he actually worked with the development of the EcoDiesel!! His degree IS IN diesel engine engineering, so I'm thinking he knows what he's doing!!

my ECM should be there Wednesday night, probably will be tuned that evening, then shipped back, so maybe next week Wednesday, if weather is decent around here, I should be driving with a "new" truck......

what I did differently is I sent Keith my spare ECM with a return label in the box, this way all he's got to do is slap the return label on the box and tape it up.....

one thing I was wondering is if the ECM sends a speed reference signal to the uconnect telling the GPS how fast it's going? having that disabled so that the wife can put a destination address in while we're driving would be nice!! I'm sick of sitting on an on/off ramp for ten minutes while she fumbles with the darn thing...... sure, I know you can use the voice commands to set an address, but that features only worked once for me. I keep forgetting the correct command words that the computer is listening for.....

the main reason why I want a "tune" is for the EGR delete. the thought of pumping that soot into the intake manifold clogging it up with black tar. the oil is effected, the cylinders are effected, engine temp is effected, none of it in a "good" way..... my personal thought is if the EPA wanted to make a positive difference on the environment, they would allow these trucks to breath better so they can get additional MPG!!! burning LESS fuel, means LESS pollutants pumped into the atmosphere!!! (just my opinion)

so, i'll let you guys know what the final results will be, and from what I've encountered reading all the posts on here, I don't think i'll be regretting it....

Al.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to do this sometime, but......................... not really convenient for me to do at this time.

#3 ·
the main reason why I want a "tune" is for the EGR delete. the thought of pumping that soot into the intake manifold clogging it up with black tar. the oil is effected, the cylinders are effected, engine temp is effected, none of it in a "good" way..... my personal thought is if the EPA wanted to make a positive difference on the environment, they would allow these trucks to breath better so they can get additional MPG!!! burning LESS fuel, means LESS pollutants pumped into the atmosphere!!! (just my opinion)

so, i'll let you guys know what the final results will be, and from what I've encountered reading all the posts on here, I don't think i'll be regretting it....

Al.
I agree that all the info points to this being a quality product backed by some guys with the knowledge to make it happen. I'm waiting for mine to get here Friday. I'm hoping for the best for all of us.

This isn't the first time I've heard the theory on un-restricting these engines and the EPA's viewpoint on that. While at the surface getting better fuel efficiency and burning less fuel sounds good, I don't think anyone can argue that the pollutants from an untreated exhaust are even close to the same levels as from one treated with systems like those found on our trucks. So while you might burn, say 10-20% less fuel, I think the emissions would be a much higher increase. Just throwing out numbers as examples.

I do like my truck though and I'm all for anything that's going to help it live longer.

#4 ·
Keith got my ECM today (Wednesday the 15th). I enclosed a prepaid return sticker for convenience, but I don't think I'm going to get my controller back before the weekend. Believe it or not, it was a $1 cheaper to RETURN the unit then it was to send it!! Cost me $11 to send it and $10 for the return.

I was hoping to have it installed by this weekend. My nephew has a state championship basketball game in Duluth this weekend and I want to see those fuel numbers creating up to the mid twenties!!

#5 ·
Good research. Kieth is a guru in the field. You will be happy with the GDE tune.
On your Uconnect issue I'm in the same boat, hate that its not smart enough to know that a copilot could be programming in motion say from the air bag sensor in the passenger seat.

#8 ·
so, working on installing the ECM. took the EGR tube out (just to clean it to monitor if there is any additional soot build up on it after this tune). after reinstalling it I was wondering if that block of foam is for "noise suppression" or to keep the EGR tube warm? if it's to keep the tube warm, then it's no longer needed right? if it's for noise, well, i'll just turn up the radio!!

another thing, what happens to the soot that's already in the air intake? does it eventually go a way? is there a way to clean it out? (other than ripping the whole head off?)

as of this second, still waiting for the UPS guy..... tracking says it's out for delivery.....

#10 ·
another thing, what happens to the soot that's already in the air intake? does it eventually go a way? is there a way to clean it out? (other than ripping the whole head off?)[/QUOTE]

I am wondering the exact same thing. I plan on getting the tune also, but it might not be for another couple thousand miles.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Btw...how bad was your egr and the intake?

#11 ·
My EGR tube was a typical sooty pipe like any other one I've seem. My truck has 26k miles on it. I cleaned it up and will check it in several thousand miles.

My understanding is that the oil should stay clean longer since there's no soot being pumped into the engine. My oil isn't due to be changed for another 5000 miles or so.....

My initial thoughts aren't too exciting. Although, going 20 miles on the highway to clear the "regeneration" message doesn't really give me an appreciation for the "drivability" many talk about.....

I'll see if the wife wants to go on some sort of road trip tomorrow. ....

#12 ·
The 20min regen you just completed in turn will save you 220+/- regens over the course of your next 74,000 miles. (conserative estimate) Just food for thought...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Ok, here's a question for the experts.... gde tune turns off the egr...egr is what causes the soot to build up in the intake,and clog up the dpf...so after you do the tune why would you still need to do a regen if all of that bad stuff is turned off? You

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am only a two week owner of a 2015 ED, and am still new.

#16 ·
Scott D. the soot is still going to go out the exhaust, like a "normal" diesel. BUT, just like the catalytic converter in a gasoline engine uses platinum to get rid of certain exhaust gases, in our diesels the exhaust uses DEF to "neutralize" the exhaust. the GDE tune turns off the "exhaust gas return (recirculation)" aka. EGR...... this is also found in gasoline engines but a gas engine doesn't produce soot where as a diesel does...... so, the "tune" sends the soot (exhaust) that WOULD HAVE gone to the air intake manifold out the exhaust instead of to your air intake for the engine. unless you do a complete "delete" you will still need to use DEF. which really isn't a bad thing, you just have to deal with "regenerations". a regeneration uses a small amount of fuel to increase the temp in your exhaust to burn out the soot..... the DEF is introduced to counteract certain toxins..... blah, blah blah...... EPA crap.... (this is the way "I" understand it all..... if I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me!!)

now, we just got back from visiting our daughter in Winona MN. mileage went up to 23mpg on the way home, which is good considering we're running "winter blend" diesel still and you don't get very good mileage with the blended fuel. normally it's 19-20...... driving on Hwy 93 you're guaranteed to come across some older person that can't decide whether they want to do the speed limit, or just don't know what the speed limit is, or can't figure out their cruise control to keep their vehicle as a constant speed at least!! so, passing is AWESOME!!! you punch it, and you GO!!!

the main thing I'm happy about is knowing that NO SOOT went to my intake!!!

#17 ·
Thanks alph. That's the best explanation I could expect. Makes total sense. I just couldn't understand how the egr tube still got clogged if it was supposed to be turned off. I guess a small amount still gets to the tube even with it turned off. That's why with the tune you go much longer without a regen. I had to a regen after about 100 miles of city/highway today. Good thing it only takes about 4-5 miles of highway driving. Lol

#18 ·
Hey Scott,
I just wanted to make sure you understand the erg is on the side of the engine(before the intake) and should accumulate little to no soot with GDE tune shutting it off. The regens are to clean up the Diesel particulate filter (DPF)under your truck (part of the exhaust).

#21 ·
My tune will be here next week. I have about 10k miles on my truck, 90% highway so I'll be curious to check the mileage. With mostly highway driving (or not) should you clean the EGR when you get the tune or just let it be? If it's "off" now, would it matter?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.