Love the cost effectiveness of the Good YEar Wrangler SR-A tires

This is a discussion on Love the cost effectiveness of the Good YEar Wrangler SR-A tires within the RAM 1500 Diesel Wheels and Tires forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Appearance - RAM 1500 Diesel Mod Corner category; I am getting ready to take off the winter snows and need at least two new summer tires. Contrary to many people's opinion I like ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Love the cost effectiveness of the Good YEar Wrangler SR-A tires

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    1453 times

I am getting ready to take off the winter snows and need at least two new summer tires. Contrary to many people's opinion I like the standard GoodYEars for my driving. Checked on WalMart and new ones are about $128 each. Stopped at the local dealer which is a combo Ford/Ram/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer and asked him their price. Luckily they are having a tire sale this month and 4 replacement original equipment 20" Good Years are $430 plus $69 for mounting and balancing plus state sales tax of 5.5% so a total of $526.45 for a complete new set. I will have two mounted up when I swap winter for summer and the other two near the end of the summer after I get another 8or 10 thousand miles on them. Having bought the truck there, the winter tires there and now the replacements they do the twice yearly swap between summer tires/wheels with winter tires and wheels free.

For me I think it is a helluva good deal and nice to see the local guys finding a way to compete with online and box store pricing. I think this was a Ford promotion. It is buy 3 tires and get the fourth for a buck.I lucked into a similar deal the Fall of 2014 when I bought the Blizzaks and that was a Ford winter promotion. By the time I get all the originals off I will have easily averaged 42,000 miles on them without taking them down to the wear bars. With more diligent rotation and taking them to the legal wear bars I think they'd make the 50,000 advertised.

Don't throw rocks about the SR-As

Member #
    Vehicle
    14. ECD QC Tradesman
    Liked
    796 times
    In checking around in Tirerack.com....they are not an overall well rated tire. BUT if you are happy with them, who am I to tell you otherwise ?
    BlueMerleBC likes this.
    14 ECD QC Tradesman 4x4, anti - spin, full tow pkg, Dee-Zee running boards , Jeraco fiberglass topper.

Retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer . Penndot 3rd Party CDL Driver Examiner.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ecodiesel, 3.55, Crew Cab, 2wd, 20" wheels, 5.7 Bed, GDE, Coils, Timbrens
    Liked
    101 times
    I love the stock SRA's! I have 17" wheels and I am at 62,000 miles and they still have some life left according to Discount tire after measuring the thread depth. I rotate them frequently and very happy with them. I will replace mid summer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    491 times
    I have had good service out of mine. They have 24,000 miles on them and other than they are dirty, they look new. No flats, no blowouts, no leaks and have held up every load I have put them under with ease. No they are not an "E" range tire, but they are no better or worse than any other "P" tire placed on a truck or suv.

I have been buying tires for years based on cost. I search for sales, check Walmart, Costco etc. and online places like Tirerack etc. and buy the cheapest name brand tire I can find in the correct size and load range with an acceptable tread pattern. I average 60-70 thousand miles on a set, I have never had a blowout. Correct inflation and rotation are paramount to tire life... oh and no getting frisky with the go pedal.

Will I buy Goodyear SRA's again? No, ill be putting "E" range tires on it, but that's because I live in south Texas, land of thorns. ( I have also never noticed a difference in fuel mileage when switching from a P to an E tire of the same dimensions.
    Diesel78 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 Granite Crystal Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    73 times
    i have no issues with the SRA's either, now that i have a set of very good round true tires.

The factory furnished tires had to be replaced with in the first 1500 miles. The tread was separating from the tire carcass causing vibration at any speed over 35 mph. All four were defected enough to be swapped out. three trips to the dealer to no avail then to a corporate Goodyear store for complete customer satisfaction!!
    '15 Granite Crystal Laramie CC 4X2 Short Bed, Bright chrome Pkg, Heated/Cooled Leather Bucket Seats, Caynon Brown/Lt. Frost Beige, Uconnect 8.4AN, Apline Sound,Remote Start, Power Sunroof, Factory Wheel to Wheel Side Steps, Mud Flaps. 3.92 Limited Slip Rear, 20" Chrome Clad Rims.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie ED CC, 6'4", Delmonico Red
    Liked
    15 times
    I'm in the same boat and have had great success with the stock tires. I really like having good tires too so was concerned about this upon purchase. I've driven through every snowstorm NH has thrown at us this year and only had 1 "Oh $hit" moment which was my fault (excessive speed in snow). Between 400lbs in the bed and the Anti-spin rear I have to try to break traction in 2wd. I only have 20k on the truck right now but they're wearing even so far. I did pick up a set of winter wheels for cheap a few weeks ago and plan to put a snow tire or snow rated AT tire on for the subsequent winter months, but so far so good with the SRAs.

A coworker who bought an F150, 2.7EB around the same time I bought mine has the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT and said in the same road conditions his are absolutely horrible. I'm wondering if this has more to do with the weight of his truck and possibly the lack of an LSD though rather than the tires.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    146 times
    If you never leave the paved surface and you don't have to deal with snow and ice where you drive, they are a fine tire. Me, I took those pieces of crap off immediately while they were still new and had some trade-in value.
    Mcsap and Sojourner55 like this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    491 times
    I leave paved surfaces weekly. An ecodiesel isn't a rock crawler or a mud bogger they work fine.
    howie12 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    470 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel78 View Post
    I love the stock SRA's! I have 17" wheels and I am at 62,000 miles and they still have some life left according to Discount tire after measuring the thread depth. I rotate them frequently and very happy with them. I will replace mid summer.
    my only issue with the SRAs are that they are terrible in any kind of snowy conditions. other than that... not bad.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie ED CC, 6'4", Delmonico Red
    Liked
    15 times
    I've taken mine on some dirt roads, a few times with a 20' boat, and it did just fine. This was in the summer though and without any mud. Back the main point, I think they're fine tires for highway driving, light off highway and mild winter conditions.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links