Air suspension - failure = no suspension? - Page 3

Air suspension - failure = no suspension?

This is a discussion on Air suspension - failure = no suspension? within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; I had a failure with my Air Suspension. Not with the Air bladders, but with a Front left sensor. Because the Truck could not figure ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Air suspension - failure = no suspension?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Diesel
    Liked
    137 times
    I had a failure with my Air Suspension. Not with the Air bladders, but with a Front left sensor. Because the Truck could not figure out what it needed to do, it went into protection mode. It was sorta funny to look at -> the truck goes nose down (I called it the Fetal Position). Anyway the dealership said I could drive it with out issues, and I did take it home. But because we have a 2nd vehicle I decided to leave the Truck in the driveway until I could get it back in to be repaired.

I could drive it however. Little more bumpy, due to the front end being down at its lowest point. Not sure I would want to do a lot of driving however.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn
    Liked
    134 times
    No major problems in Sub-Zero for me. My only concern is that since this is a sealed system, if an air line or bag does fail, there works be no way to keep the rest of the system operable since it can't draw from the ourside air.
    Word to the wise though, if you do go blasting through snow, be sure to cycle the system from high to low so the sensor arms can clean out a travel path before the snow compacts and turns solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air suspension - failure = no suspension?-fb_img_1484060292203_1484060307142.jpg  
    VernDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Laramie w/V6 Pentastar
    Liked
    28 times
    I can tell you exactly what will happen if the air suspension fails as it happened to my son last week with his 2015 Laramie Limited 2WD with 34,000 miles on it. The front right suspension broke. He was going over a small speedbump when something on the front right corner snapped. The air suspension button light started immediately flashing. We headed to the dealer but before we could get there, the left side also broke. It seems when one side goes, the other side can't support the entire front and it snapped too. The truck rides like you have no suspension and is rough as hell.

We got to the dealer, they said two weeks to fix (my son had bought the lifetime Mopar warranty on it when he purchased the truck) and that is when my son started looking at the shiny new ones on the lot. The air suspension was nice but not necessary for his light towing so he ended up buying a new 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn 4x4. They took the busted Ram in on trade with no deduct as the parts and labor were still covered under warranty. They were going to give him a loaner but the purchase of a new truck took care of that.

The air suspension is a fantastic system unless it goes and then it's a mess - and hell on the back/ass while getting to the dealer as the ride was horrendous with metal on metal slamming with each bump on the road.
    Last edited by 6175; 01-21-2017 at 01:33 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

dub
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Big Horn, CC, 6'4"bed
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf1 View Post
    We got to the dealer, he said two weeks to fix (he had bought the lifetime Mopar warranty on it) and that is when my son started look at the shiny new ones on the lot. The air suspension was nice but not necessary for his light towing so he ended up buying a new 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn 4x4. They took the busted Ram in on trade with no deduct as the parts and labor were still covered under warranty. They were going to give him a loaner but the new truck took care of that.
    Why did he buy the lifetime warranty if he was just going to trade it in for a brand new truck the first time something broke?
    howie12 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Laramie w/V6 Pentastar
    Liked
    28 times
    He purchased it two years ago with the intention of keeping it but the failure of the suspension system coupled with the horrendous ride when it occurred and the tires tearing up the wheel well liners in the process made him decide the air suspension was a serious weak point not worth keeping. He ended up getting a refund check on the lifetime warranty so it isn't like he was out a ton of money but he certainly didn't want to risk future problems with the truck and decided to go with a conventional suspension. It's one thing to have an engine or tranny go but to have the truck dead because of the suspension is ridiculous IMO.

dub
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Big Horn, CC, 6'4"bed
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf1 View Post
    ...He ended up getting a refund check on the lifetime warranty...
    That's good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links