Air suspension - failure = no suspension?

This is a discussion on Air suspension - failure = no suspension? within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; I'm considering the air suspension option. What happens if the air suspension fails (ie, no air in the bladders)? Are you bottomed out on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Air suspension - failure = no suspension?

Member #

I'm considering the air suspension option. What happens if the air suspension fails (ie, no air in the bladders)? Are you bottomed out on the suspension? Or is the air suspension a combination of spring and bladder so at least you have springs in the event of failure?

Sorry to sound like such a newbie, but that's what I am. Thanks for any feedback.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC Long Box in Prairie Pearl. Former 1500 EcoDiesel owner.
    Liked
    360 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_in_VA View Post
    I'm considering the air suspension option. What happens if the air suspension fails (ie, no air in the bladders)? Are you bottomed out on the suspension? Or is the air suspension a combination of spring and bladder so at least you have springs in the event of failure?

Sorry to sound like such a newbie, but that's what I am. Thanks for any feedback.
    Welcome. Good question that I had as well. There are no springs. A Ram rep told me that if the system fails it goes into "protection mode" that turns off the compressor but that the truck is still drivable. I could not find an account of anyone actually driving it in protection mode, so the question remains as to how "drivable" it would be. I'm sure the dash would be lit up with a nagging error message.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Welcome aboard. That's a good point. I think only time will tell how many problems the air suspension will have. It's been proven on big rigs for years so I wouldn't really worry about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    826 times
    Big trucks and trailers use all air ride suspension. Occasionally, they have an issue, but they are pretty durable.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Great question, as I am sure many of us will ask before we check off the box, when we are ordering.

Air suspension, bladders work great on big rigs. My concern for this system is the number of settings, and I had heard from a rep that the system has to be disconnected when the truck is put on a rack for service. I have not confirmed that 100%, but I was told by a Ram Rep.

For towing, the self leveling feature looks nifty.... the idea the truck lowers itself before you get out, and can raise in off road conditions, lowers the nose of the truck at highway speeds to reduce wind resistance and drag..... all that sounds great.

Looking at a diagram of the air lines, my question was same as yours Dan, what if an air line gets pinched or cut, OR WHAT IF THE AIR SUSPENSION DOES NOT WORK, OR FAILS ?

While I understand the advantages, for sure, and they work on big trucks, I used to drive big trucks years back, and air ride works good, some cargo requires air ride trailers.....

I know I'll get scolded by someone here... but to me the air suspension is just one more system, one more thing that has a possibility of breaking... except if it does break, and what if you are 100 miles or more from a dealer....

Each guy will have to weigh it out..... benefits of the air suspension are disputable, it works and works well...

I'll probably pass.
    Marsman....
    DJ-Gregg likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Check that, meant to say "BENEFITS OF AIR SUSPENSION ARE IN-DISPUTABLE".

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Chooch, some cargo in the high cap T Box cars uses air bladders to protect the cargo ! which is actually an air suspension, but it is acting to protect cargo in box cars from the back and forth "slack action" forces, in train motion.

LCR
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I would get an aftermarket rear for when hauling and towing but couldn't justify $1700 for factory option.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marsman View Post

I know I'll get scolded by someone here... but to me the air suspension is just one more system, one more thing that has a possibility of breaking... except if it does break, and what if you are 100 miles or more from a dealer....
    I'm slowly coming to the decision not to get it. My wife really liked the way it lowered so she could get in easier. But she still needed the step and the hand-holds. So two more inches in height won't make that much difference for her.

I'm close to retirement and plan to keep the truck fifteen years or more. The fewer doodads and gimflaps to break the better. I'm a little concerned about all the electric and electronic gizmos. But you can't buy any vehicle without them.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    826 times
    marsman is correct about one more system going wrong.

Here is what I see for towing. A 1/2 ton does not have a lot of payload. Everything added is payload. Put in the family, the bikes, firewood, and the tongue weight of the trailer, and it is easy to be over payload, gvwr, or gawr of the truck. How will the air suspension handle this situation. I would love to find out from someone who has overloaded their truck. But my opinion on this, if you are going to haul a camper, get the springs, and get firestone or air lift 1000lb air helpers.

Marsman, didn't know that about the tboxs. I guess it is something to look at if I can see it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links