Hemi fuel consumption - Page 2

Hemi fuel consumption

This is a discussion on Hemi fuel consumption within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; Originally Posted by Ramzaq City driving is a whole different ball of wax. The Hemi is like a cowboy in New York City, they don't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hemi fuel consumption

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman CC, 6.4L Hemi, 2WD , 6'-4" bed,
    Liked
    527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzaq View Post
    City driving is a whole different ball of wax. The Hemi is like a cowboy in New York City, they don't generally mix to well and I am generally 12 to 14 mpg. The big factor is traffic, stop lights, stop signs and slow driving, how much and how many you encounter. Starting and stopping are not the Hemi's strong suits for mileage or fuel efficiency. Those 390 horses need a lot of feed to move the weight.
    We have a 6.4L Hemi and this part of your description really hits the nail on the head
    FORMER OWNER OF: 2015 4x4 Big Horn Quad Ecodiesel, 3.55 gear, 6'-4" bed, ARE shell.
    CURRENTLY: 2016 2WD 2500HD, 6.4L Hemi, 6' - 4" bed

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzaq View Post
    Depending on road, traffic and climate conditions and depending on how well you know how to use the MDS system will determine what you can get. The biggest factor has to do with the person in front of the pedal and how heavy their foot might be.

My truck is a Hemi with a 3.55 rear and it is a 4x4. I can attain 21 mpg in perfect conditions doing 62 mph and 20 mpg doing 72 mph. those are the sweet spots for my truck with the 5 speed transmission and summer gas. My cross country trips usually averaged about 19.4 mpg when all the speed limits on I-80 were 70 or 75 mph. Since 3 states are now 80mph that has dropped down to 18.8 . This is all hand calculated.

City driving is a whole different ball of wax. The Hemi is like a cowboy in New York City, they don't generally mix to well and I am generally 12 to 14 mpg. The big factor is traffic, stop lights, stop signs and slow driving, how much and how many you encounter. Starting and stopping are not the Hemi's strong suits for mileage or fuel efficiency. Those 390 horses need a lot of feed to move the weight.

My lifetime average is about 17.2 mpg with my driving. There are tricks to getting good mileage with any truck and the Hemi is no exception, you will have to do a little work to achieve it.

Which rear end in your truck, 3.21 or 3.92?
    This sounds very similar to how my friends truck performs.... Funny though, he thinks that since he got 21 mpg on the highway one time that means that's his mpg average... LOL His normal commuting average is approximately 17 mpg.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    492 times
    My father has a '14 CC longbox laramie 4x4 with a hemi & 8 speed. Best ever highway mileage: 22MPG. His actual average MPG: 17.

My '14 Ecodiesel, CC, longbox laramie 4x4 best ever highway MPG: 29.5 (hand calculated). Average MPG: just shy of 24 according to fuelly records (towing & winter drag me down from the 26+ I average in the warm months).

Look at fuelly.com and see what real people are getting; you can filter by engine type, year, and all that good stuff.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    416 times
    What do you need the truck to do and are you basing your purchase on needs or wants. If your decision is based only on cost and you don't need to tow a lot the pentestar is a great little motor and will probably be your lowest cost option. My uncle has one in a quad cab and he pulls about a 4k lb boat with it. The boat is a load for it, but it does the job fine and he doesn't tow it often.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was thinking of getting the Pentastar as I'm just using the truck to drive up north to the cottage, but the salesman was saying that I'd prefer the Hemi, as it would go down to four cylinders on the hwy and get almost equal fuel efficiency. I was sceptical that's why I asked here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links