Hemi fuel consumption

Hemi fuel consumption

This is a discussion on Hemi fuel consumption within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; Hi For those with a 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie or Sport model Hemi equipped Ram 1500, could you please share what your EVIC says is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hemi fuel consumption

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hemi fuel consumption

Hi
    For those with a 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie or Sport model Hemi equipped Ram 1500, could you please share what your EVIC says is your average fuel consumption, when travelling at 100km/hr (60 mph) in cruise control for an extended period of time?
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HamiltonGuy; 10-03-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    3791 times
    Doubt there are many here that can tell you that. Look up the combination of Fuelly for comprehensive answers.

Now I have a friend that thought he was buying what I have. He actually did not know I had the diesel and bought a Hemi. His first 10,000 miles were in the mid-teens riding around here where I get high 20's. Well just a few days ago he stopped and told me his fuel mileage is improving. Sometimes he can get 21 mpg. Mostly now he is in the high teens riding these near-rural roads. He likes the engine for the power yet when we raced (yes we had a go) he had more acceleration. Not much as we compared but he did pull ahead a bit. Our top speeds are identical. Neither is faster because both are governed at the same top speed.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2009 Big Horn CC 4x4 Hemi
    Liked
    283 times
    Depending on road, traffic and climate conditions and depending on how well you know how to use the MDS system will determine what you can get. The biggest factor has to do with the person in front of the pedal and how heavy their foot might be.

My truck is a Hemi with a 3.55 rear and it is a 4x4. I can attain 21 mpg in perfect conditions doing 62 mph and 20 mpg doing 72 mph. those are the sweet spots for my truck with the 5 speed transmission and summer gas. My cross country trips usually averaged about 19.4 mpg when all the speed limits on I-80 were 70 or 75 mph. Since 3 states are now 80mph that has dropped down to 18.8 . This is all hand calculated.

City driving is a whole different ball of wax. The Hemi is like a cowboy in New York City, they don't generally mix to well and I am generally 12 to 14 mpg. The big factor is traffic, stop lights, stop signs and slow driving, how much and how many you encounter. Starting and stopping are not the Hemi's strong suits for mileage or fuel efficiency. Those 390 horses need a lot of feed to move the weight.

My lifetime average is about 17.2 mpg with my driving. There are tricks to getting good mileage with any truck and the Hemi is no exception, you will have to do a little work to achieve it.

Which rear end in your truck, 3.21 or 3.92?
    Last edited by Ramzaq; 10-03-2016 at 06:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzaq View Post
    Depending on road, traffic and climate conditions and depending on how well you know how to use the MDS system will determine what you can get. The biggest factor has to do with the person in front of the pedal and how heavy their foot might be.

My truck is a Hemi with a 3.55 rear and it is a 4x4. I can attain 21 mpg in perfect conditions doing 62 mph and 20 mpg doing 72 mph. those are the sweet spots for my truck with the 5 speed transmission and summer gas. My cross country trips usually averaged about 19.4 mpg when all the speed limits on I-80 were 70 or 75 mph. Since 3 states are now 80mph that has dropped down to 18.8 . This is all hand calculated.

City driving is a whole different ball of wax. The Hemi is like a cowboy in New York City, they don't generally mix to well and I am generally 12 to 14 mpg. The big factor is traffic, stop lights, stop signs and slow driving, how much and how many you encounter. Starting and stopping are not the Hemi's strong suits for mileage or fuel efficiency. Those 390 horses need a lot of feed to move the weight.

My lifetime average is about 17.2 mpg with my driving. There are tricks to getting good mileage with any truck and the Hemi is no exception, you will have to do a little work to achieve it.

Which rear end in your truck, 3.21 or 3.92?
    Thanks for the informative reply.

I'm looking at a 3.55 rear end likely.
    The sales guy was saying that since I'm mostly doing hwy driving, the Hemi would be better than the Pentastar and may be less worrisome than the diesel.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    1180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    He likes the engine for the power yet when we raed (yes we had a go) he had more acceleration. Not much as we compared but he did pull ahead a bit. Our top speeds are identical. Neither is faster because both are governed at the same top speed.
    You need to race your buddy in his Hemi between gas stations....that are 700 miles apart, rules of the race, both of you are only allowed 26 gallons of fuel, truck must pull into the gas station on it own power or the driver pushing it

...hope your buddy can push really fast!!
    LOL
    Captainmal and pqw3413 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 Ram Big Horn EcoD 4x4
    Liked
    35 times
    Doesn't the Hemi/8 speed only come with 3.21 and 3.92?

Quote Originally Posted by HamiltonGuy View Post
    Thanks for the informative reply.

I'm looking at a 3.55 rear end likely.
    The sales guy was saying that since I'm mostly doing hwy driving, the Hemi would be better than the Pentastar and may be less worrisome than the diesel.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hemi fuel consumption

Oh. I'll have to find out.

Yep. I checked. It doesn't come in 3.55. The diesel does.

Which is preferred?

Last edited by HamiltonGuy; 10-03-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 Ram Big Horn EcoD 4x4
    Liked
    35 times
    If you want mpg, get the 3.21. It still gets up and goes pretty good thanks to the 8 speed. If you want to tow heavy or put on larger tires, get the 3.92.

Quote Originally Posted by HamiltonGuy View Post
    Oh. I'll have to find out.

Yep. I checked. It doesn't come in 3.55. The diesel does.

Which is preferred?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    1453 times
    If you are looking for mileage and no worries and stay under 85 mph seems like you want the Pentastar unless you are a boy racer. This forum had a poster (I forget his name but someone will post it up here and you can look at his posts too)that had one and pulled a trailer around the country and said it did fine, bought an Ecodiesel for mileage and loved it but got rid of his big trailer and went back to the Pentastar. By all accounts a very good engine and combo in the truck if it is available in the trim and configuration level you want.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman CC, 6.4L Hemi, 2WD , 6'-4" bed,
    Liked
    530 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    If you are looking for mileage and no worries and stay under 85 mph seems like you want the Pentastar unless you are a boy racer. This forum had a poster (I forget his name but someone will post it up here and you can look at his posts too)that had one and pulled a trailer around the country and said it did fine, bought an Ecodiesel for mileage and loved it but got rid of his big trailer and went back to the Pentastar. By all accounts a very good engine and combo in the truck if it is available in the trim and configuration level you want.
    Might have been me Howie. Drove the Pentastar sedately (50 to 65 mph) one trip of 6840 miles (no trailer) and averaged (hand calc) 22.4 mpg. Of the trip distance, only about 220 miles were Interstate. Then we pulled a 3500 lb travel trailer 8600 miles with it averaging 14.6 mpg. Then bought a 6000 lb TT and the Eco to pull it. Sold the TT and Eco and went back to a Pentastar. Then decided we wanted a truck camper so now driving a 2500

The Pentastar was always efficient, smooth and quiet and pulled 3500 lbs effortlessly with a couple exceptions with a couple grades in Utah where it labored just a tad. Otherwise I loved that engine. We have our first Hemi (6.4L) and I'm getting used to that puppy now. I've come to realize that the engine should match the application. The Pentastar in 2WD has the highest payload of any of them.
    FORMER OWNER OF: 2015 4x4 Big Horn Quad Ecodiesel, 3.55 gear, 6'-4" bed, ARE shell.
    CURRENTLY: 2016 2WD 2500HD, 6.4L Hemi, 6' - 4" bed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links