NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes. - Page 2

NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes.

This is a discussion on NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes. within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; Closer to 3 tons by my reckoning, but math was never my strong suit....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    454 times
    Closer to 3 tons by my reckoning, but math was never my strong suit.
    97hmcs likes this.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Liked
    1150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
    Closer to 3 tons by my reckoning, but math was never my strong suit.
    I think he was using Canadian pounds

From my perspective, this sounds like user error. Once, I absent-mindedly twisted the shifter instead of the volume knob & ended up in Reverse. Nothing bad happened, it flashed all the lights at me & gave me an error message in the EVIC & went right back to drive. That's when I felt like the shifter was pretty fool-proof for anything I would potentially do with it. I had push button start & the EVIC won't let you shut down without being in P or N. Its possible that there is a complete mechanical failure, but unlikely. The Jeep shifter is a whole other issue...
    Former Ecodiesel owner - now 2016 Lexus RX 450h

Mopar Tonneau Cover, WeatherTec Bug Deflector, Geno's Garage Cabin Filter,
    JBL GX962 6X9 Rear Speakers, Infinity REF-3002cfx Dash Speakers

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layhne View Post
    All vehicles should use the Parking Brake when not in operation. The "Park" gear is just a small hardened steel pin stopping your quarter ton steel on wheels from moving.
    you must have the really light duty model! Mine is nearly 3 tons when full of all fluids and a driver.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '16 Tradesman EcoDiesel
    Liked
    3 times
    You also have to press the brake to move the dial. The other day I put it in neutral and set the brake. When i got in i selected drive and I had to step on the brake for it to shift.

I also assume that it will ignore you if your going 80 on the highway and turned the wrong knob, fan off instead you went to reverse on the tranny knob, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't do it since the knob is an input device to a computer.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 ED, CC, 6'4", 4x4, Air Susp, Longhorn
    Liked
    657 times
    My truck, push start, won't turn off if in drive or reverse. Nice feature to prevent you from accidentally leaving it in gear. Can't remember what it does in neutral. Would think it should allow you to turn off in neutral in case of tow etc.

Edit: Just checked. Truck will not turn off if the gear selector is in anything besides park.
    Last edited by robertm; 12-21-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Crew Cab SLT EcoDiesel
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    you must have the really light duty model! Mine is nearly 3 tons when full of all fluids and a driver.
    I took all the oil out of mine so my bearings wouldn't spin and the EGR wouldn't cloud it up /s

I just meant quarter ton as in quarter ton pick-up, not actual weight :P
    97hmcs likes this.
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 3.0L EcoDiesel
    Crew Cab, 4X4, 5.7' Bed, 3.55 Gears, 17" Wheels, Stock Tires, Spray in Liner and Debadged

Anyone want to donate to the toy improvement fund?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layhne View Post
    I took all the oil out of mine so my bearings wouldn't spin and the EGR wouldn't cloud it up /s

I just meant quarter ton as in quarter ton pick-up, not actual weight :P
    Our trucks are half ton trucks.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1286 times
    Yep.... Last night it was on 6:30 world news big story 43 incidents and 9 injuries didn't report any deaths though, I thought it was pretty much idiot proof and worked really well and after I got use to it , liked it !!! Good thing we have the government and attorneys to protect us ?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There is a big difference in the FCA dial shifters and the ones put out by Ford. The FCA shifter will return to Park if you try to turn the key off if you are not in Park. Ford dials will too, but then they took it a step further. If a Ford with a dial shifter is not in Park, the seat belt unbuckled, and the door opens the trans will automatically shift to Park and the dial will rotate to Park as well so the two match position.

I 100% agree any of the FCA accidents are user error. Ford is trying to protect the dumb people from getting hurt and themselves from getting sued.

The basic function of shifting a vehicle to Park has been the same for decades when cars had mechanical cables connecting shift levers to transmissions. FCA has maintained that same mentality when they designed their new shift by wire devices. If you don't shift to Park, your vehicle will roll, which has been the case for decades.
    Patroller8D likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    201 times
    I'm sure the way society is headed it's a blame everyone else scenario except yourself for stupid chit you did and don't want to take responsibility. Of course the rats nest of money hungry lawyers of a certain group are just frothing to see how much money they can squeak out of the system. If I close the door on my finger, I'm the idiot, I don't blame FCA, VW or any other vehicle group for not putting stupid sensors to prevent me from doing stupid things.
    Merry Christmas to all on this forum.
    sheepdogtrail and CDNLaramie like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links