NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes.

NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes.

This is a discussion on NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes. within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; US investigates one million Fiat Chrysler vehicles for roll-away crashes NHTSA now investigating newer Ram 1500 pickups equipped with dial shifter for rollaway crashes. NHTSA ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes.

  1. #1
    RAM Sr Member msp548's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    187
    Member #
    15641
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    104 times

    NHTSA now investigating dial shifter Ram 1500's for rollaway crashes.

    US investigates one million Fiat Chrysler vehicles for roll-away crashes

    NHTSA now investigating newer Ram 1500 pickups equipped with dial shifter for rollaway crashes. NHTSA recommending use of emergency brake upon exit from vehicle.

  2. #2
    RAM Professional RossCountyRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    613
    Member #
    5890
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    269 times
    So is this article implying the rotarty shifter was in Park and the vehicles still rolled? If so, yes, investigate. But I'm betting 99.9% is simply user error, IE leaving the vehicle in Drive upon exit. In that case, rollaway accidents are user error plain and simple.

    Setting the brake prior to parking on any decent grade should be common sense.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    97hmcs, malibubts, mjmck and 1 others like this.

  3. #3
    RAM Professor Sorny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    823
    Member #
    5102
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    484 times
    99.99999999999999999999999% user error.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune



  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    RAM Sr Member malibubts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    114
    Member #
    4836
    Vehicle
    '15 Ram 1500
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RossCountyRam View Post
    So is this article implying the rotarty shifter was in Park and the vehicles still rolled? If so, yes, investigate. But I'm betting 99.9% is simply user error, IE leaving the vehicle in Drive upon exit. In that case, rollaway accidents are user error plain and simple.

    Setting the brake prior to parking on any decent grade should be common sense.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    The other thing to mention is my truck is smarter than me on this. I don't know if this is true of all years or selector positions, but I once didn't shift all the way to park and turned the truck off in neutral accidentally. A message popped up on the EVIC saying the truck wasn't in park and the truck automatically shifted there. Started the truck back up and sure enough it was sitting there in park.

    Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Ransom likes this.
    2015 Tradesman CCLB EcoDiesel
    Build Thread

  6. #5
    RAM Ninja Haul N Grass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Sebring Fl
    Posts
    2,035
    Member #
    3788
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1361 times
    BS....Lawsuits are kiling this country , the small aircraft manufacturing came to a complete stop years ago because of folks making mistakes and killing them selves.
    Unfortunately our politicians are all lawyers so they don't want to pass laws to hurt their own profession, The auto industry needs to shut down completely and when workers all are sent home , then it'll get some serious attention and changes will then be made to stop BS suits , and then the workers will start getting wage increases again and possible benefit increases as well . All these class action suits hurt everyone. And this doesn't apply to the auto industry alone this applies to all businesses, you can't afford to give more money or benefits to employees with the government and attorneys taking all your profits . And my statement is from personal experiences.
    CDNLaramie likes this.

  7. #6
    RAM Professional RossCountyRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    613
    Member #
    5890
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    269 times
    Quote Originally Posted by malibubts View Post
    The other thing to mention is my truck is smarter than me on this. I don't know if this is true of all years or selector positions, but I once didn't shift all the way to park and turned the truck off in neutral accidentally. A message popped up on the EVIC saying the truck wasn't in park and the truck automatically shifted there. Started the truck back up and sure enough it was sitting there in park.

    Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    That's true for all turn dial Rams and should be the case for rotary/electronic shifters across all makes. Rollaways happen when the engine isn't shutdown....

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    RAM Veteran Layhne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    489
    Member #
    9271
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Crew Cab SLT EcoDiesel
    Liked
    142 times
    All vehicles should use the Parking Brake when not in operation. The "Park" gear is just a small hardened steel pin stopping your quarter ton steel on wheels from moving.
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 3.0L EcoDiesel
    Crew Cab, 4X4, 5.7' Bed, 3.55 Gears, 17" Wheels, Stock Tires, Spray in Liner and Debadged

    Anyone want to donate to the toy improvement fund?


  9. #8
    RAM Regular Patroller8D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Simcoe County Ontario
    Posts
    327
    Member #
    7795
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    215 times
    Can you actually get the FOB out if the vehicle isn't in park? I haven't tried it. too dam cold right now.

  10. #9
    Administrator 97hmcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Location: Location, Location
    Posts
    4,751
    Member #
    1428
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patroller8D View Post
    Can you actually get the FOB out if the vehicle isn't in park? I haven't tried it. too dam cold right now.
    I can't. The push button start would be a different story.

  11. #10
    Administrator 97hmcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Location: Location, Location
    Posts
    4,751
    Member #
    1428
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layhne View Post
    All vehicles should use the Parking Brake when not in operation. The "Park" gear is just a small hardened steel pin stopping your quarter ton steel on wheels from moving.
    How many pounds is that quarter ton steel in Canada?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Rotary Dial UPGRADE
    By dwanton in forum RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-14-2016, 11:57 AM
  2. Report Problems to NHTSA <safecar.gov>
    By wrmjk34 in forum RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 04:17 PM
  3. NHTSA reports on the big 3
    By Anomaly in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Battlefield
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 09:43 AM