Are you slowly loosing coolant? Possible EGR cooler leak. - Page 2

Are you slowly loosing coolant? Possible EGR cooler leak.

This is a discussion on Are you slowly loosing coolant? Possible EGR cooler leak. within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; Hi Gang new to the the site was doing some searching and found this thread. I have a 2015 ed big horn that has lost ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Are you slowly loosing coolant? Possible EGR cooler leak.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ram eco diesel big horn
    Hi Gang
    new to the the site was doing some searching and found this thread.
    I have a 2015 ed big horn that has lost coolant slowly over time , first 1000 miles 1 quart, and has slowly droped till the 6000 mile range, now at 8300 miles driving 14 mile round trip to and from work in 5 days 1/2 gallon, took it into the dealer at 6k they found nothing, I dont think they ever checked it because the tech said he was told I was spilling it, the service wrighter dropped the ball big time on that visit, now at 8300 I take it back in missing on cold starts but clears up after a 1/4 drive on Oct 12th guess what they find it, EGR cooler after being there 3 days it leaking into the intake not external, and now I am told the part is on its way comming on a slow boat from some where, wont be here till Nov 23rd, I have talked to Chryler customer servive with no answers on them getting the part quiker or taking it off a new truck or a engine at the assembly plant, so now I am with out my truck, the dealer has tried everything to get the part and so have I, I have a loaner 2500, and Chrysler is making payments on my truck to keep me happy, I did pull the 30 days out of service lemon law on them and they are doing what ever it takes to keep me happy, what burns me is no one can get the part faster and Chysler will not give any answers on shipping it UPS, so the only ones to be had are on a slow boat from some where, I love the truck just dont like waiting 7 weeks for them to get parts for it...

oh PS you will get more flys with honey, I have held my tongue for now and it seems to be paying off.
    Last edited by muskyhound; 10-24-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Larmie
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by muskyhound View Post
    I have a loaner 2500, and Chrysler is making payments on my truck to keep me happy, I did pull the 30 days out of service lemon law on them and they are doing what ever it takes to keep me happy.
    Really good that you got Chrysler to make your payments never heard that one before but seems right to me

Have heard of other EGR cooler leaks.

Hope all turns out well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, Laramie, ECODIESEL, Granite crystal metallic, RAM Box, Towing Package, Scanguage II, GDE Hot tune.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Tradesman 3.92 4x4 Quad
    Liked
    33 times
    i've got the same stain on my egr cooler as the picture in the first post. i've also been losing coolant very slowly. i check this stain ofter and never once noticed it wet. it never gets bigger either. and i believe i read on the forum once before that it may be some sort of grease from the assemble process....anyone know more on this or have the same findings? i dont think this is where the coolant is disapearing too...but i cant seem to find a leak anywhere...suggesting its internal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1524 times
    Usually if you have an internal coolant leak if you look on the bottom of the oil filler cap you will see a milky fluid on it .
    If It's leaking in the combustion chamber steam out the exhaust.
    Now this is the tricky part slightly leaking in combustion chamber use a die fluid kit from an auto part store that will change colors if exhaust gas present in radiator fluid while the engine is running.

Member #
    Vehicle
    I have spent hours on the phone with Chrysler customer service and the dealer as well, I have been in the auto repair biz for over 40 years, so for now I am staying clam, and have been thanked by customer service and the dealer as well for keeping my cool,and I think thats the best way for now. I just cant believe that they have no EGR coolers in stack any where in the world other then this slow boat from somewhere, customer service is giving me daily up dates of what are no more then I knew when the dealer told me the week of Nov 23rd on Oct 21st, I am hoping they get the part sooner but not betting on it, I told them to pull sales of these jeeps and trucks till they can service them quiker, yea like that will happin..

on a good note I get 31 mpg running 70 mph 8 hour trip all high wayohio to New york, 23 mpg city and 23 mph pulling a 3400 lb boat running 70, most all my mile on the truck are towing miles that is why I bought it, love the truck just not the B.S. I am going through right now...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie ecodiesel
    Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by muskyhound View Post
    Hi Gang
    new to the the site was doing some searching and found this thread.
    I have a 2015 ed big horn that has lost coolant slowly over time , first 1000 miles 1 quart, and has slowly droped till the 6000 mile range, now at 8300 miles driving 14 mile round trip to and from work in 5 days 1/2 gallon, took it into the dealer at 6k they found nothing, I dont think they ever checked it because the tech said he was told I was spilling it, the service wrighter dropped the ball big time on that visit, now at 8300 I take it back in missing on cold starts but clears up after a 1/4 drive on Oct 12th guess what they find it, EGR cooler after being there 3 days it leaking into the intake not external, and now I am told the part is on its way comming on a slow boat from some where, wont be here till Nov 23rd, I have talked to Chryler customer servive with no answers on them getting the part quiker or taking it off a new truck or a engine at the assembly plant, so now I am with out my truck, the dealer has tried everything to get the part and so have I, I have a loaner 2500, and Chrysler is making payments on my truck to keep me happy, I did pull the 30 days out of service lemon law on them and they are doing what ever it takes to keep me happy, what burns me is no one can get the part faster and Chysler will not give any answers on shipping it UPS, so the only ones to be had are on a slow boat from some where, I love the truck just dont like waiting 7 weeks for them to get parts for it...

oh PS you will get more flys with honey, I have held my tongue for now and it seems to be paying off.
    At least somebody addressing this issue. I have been in the same boat for a while dealer can't find it just top it off and keep an eye on it.
    Beside the stain when u guys come to a stop open up the hood and smell around the passenger side u will see that it smells like antifreeze
    Edit welcome to the site and thanks

Member #
    Vehicle
    I wish mine was leaking external, it was getting into the intake and burning it, I was worried that it was going to hydrolock one day, thank goodness oil is clean and so is coolant, but now that is sitting I am wondering about cylinder wall rust with the coolant entering them..
    My next request for them is a lifetime drive train warranty to ez my pain and suffering

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    1524 times
    This is a kit to test your coolant system to see if your coolant is going into the exhaust system and out the exhaust not necessarily an external leak of engine components, because if your loosing coolant it's not normal. I used this kit for many years to find head gasket leaks and casting cracks in heads from factories defects. And whenever I buy a used diesel I always have it die tested for internal leaks. This kit comes from NAPA for 43.00 worth every penny!!!!Are you slowly loosing coolant?  Possible EGR cooler leak.-image.jpg
    Anomaly, Piney and VernDiesel like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Crew Cab Limited
    Liked
    467 times
    Great forum! With just about 30,000 miles on my ED, this weekend I noticed that the coolant was low. I grabbed a gallon jug of distilled water and started adding it to the overflow bottle. Damn thing took about 1/2 gallon. I have been scratching my head ever since - wondering where the heck that coolant went. I think I now have my answer!! (As long as it doesn't get any worse, I can live with 1/2 gallon every 30K miles!!)

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Before everyone goes hunting for a leak in the wrong place, did anyone read the video comments?

"Hey AJ, glad to see your still enjoying your truck. I remember when you drove down to get your tune done.
    Please don't think im trolling your video, but I want to help you with your coolant issue.
    I own two of these engines, I have a brand new crate engine never touched, when I was looking over my crate engine, as new the EGR cooler ports your talking about actually have a yellow assembly grease to push the cooler into the block, there is actually a big glob of it around those ports, Now as on my engine when I bought my truck, I also noticed the same marks on my egr cooler, when the egr cooler gets really hot over and over, that grease starts melting, collecting dust, and looks like yours.
    If you pressure wash that area of your engine, youll never see that again.
    I have 134000 miles on my ecodiesel and its still not back.
    So now that's out of the way, when I hit 105000 miles, I consumed 5 gallons of OAT coolant.
    @103000 miles I finally saw the first drip and leak!! it took that long for me to find where all the coolant was going. I swear I look at everything every day under my hood, and I modify everything, and I never saw it.
    I thought it was from boil off, or evaporation, NO it was my radiator.

Go look at your radiator with a powerful LED flashlight, and look at where your plastic tanks meet your aluminum core along the passenger side, first then driver side, you might see the seepage.
    I made a video about it, and youll see why you cannot see unless you remove the fan shroud.
    As a side note, GDE just released a new tune for Oil separator code tolerance reduction."
    Then the Video Creator Responded:

"The Canadian Car Review Show 3 weeks ago
    hey Shawn,

the leak was coming from my thermostat housing. it's fixed."
    Last edited by g00fy; 11-18-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links