RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Running temps - 6.4L Hemi

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  01TwoForty 
#1 ·
I remember from my Eco days how surprised I was seeing the normal elevated running temps. Just for comparison sake, I took a shot of my EVIC today running fully up to temperature on an 88 degree day :) Is this still a bit different than what you guys are seeing ?

Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part

See less See more
Reactions: Diesel78
#3 ·
My coolant temp on my Eco used to get up to 226 when pulling the trailer and once saw 259 degrees for oil temp. Running the truck with the camper on it doesn't make much of a difference.

#4 ·
Mechanical fan makes a huge difference.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.

#6 ·
I think its more the turbo adding extra heat or too small a radiator. I have onwed a few vehicles with electric fans that had zero cooling issues under load. Had a 2011 and 2006 GM 5.3 with electric fans an towing loaded flat bed, 20' boat, and 30' tt the coolant temps never change much.

That said I will take an electric fan any day. Recently had to change the fan clutch on our Duramax because it was locked on and truck was getting low teens empty. The added room under the hood alone is worth it for me.

#5 ·
Does the 6.4 L hemi's equipped with the 8 speed ZF tranny?

#7 ·
Got to remember that 6.4L engine is more than twice the displacement size of the 3.0L Ecodiesel. Thermostats must be set for those temperatures. Same with the 6.7L diesel.

Now why the transmission is so cold must tell me it's not under load for this picture.

#8 ·
Yeah, like Cap says, that slide in comes nowhere near a sizeable load for that truck. It wouldn't for the Eco, either, except for the payload restrictions. Still that tranny temp is much lower than the Eco even without a load.

Reactions: El Jefe
#10 ·
I wanted more of a ‘work-truck’, so I traded a Jeep in on a 6.4 Std. cab tradesman. The thermostat must be set high since I see those temps too, however once it fully opens it cools down much better than the ED.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.