NFLD in July!!!

NFLD in July!!!

This is a discussion on NFLD in July!!! within the Canadian General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 1500 Diesel Canadian Forum category; Hi: All... We plan on taking the EcoD. and Escape 5.0TA over to NFLD. Looking for first hand tips and must see/do places. Is it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NFLD in July!!!

Member #
    Liked
    257 times

NFLD in July!!!

Hi: All... We plan on taking the EcoD. and Escape 5.0TA over to NFLD. Looking for first hand tips and must see/do places. Is it OK to take the diesel to the island regarding fuel?
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldragon View Post
    Hi: All... We plan on taking the EcoD. and Escape 5.0TA over to NFLD. Looking for first hand tips and must see/do places. Is it OK to take the diesel to the island regarding fuel?
    I was just Gander a few weeks ago, diesel fuel was pretty much available at all gas stations if that is what you're asking.
    Not much to see as it was freaking cold and nasty.
    Lots of trees and rock...
    St Johns is a pretty big city though.
    Last edited by dieseldoya; 03-24-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: More to say
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldragon View Post
    I was just there a few weeks ago, diesel fuel was pretty much available at all gas stations if that is what you're asking.
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoya View Post
    I was just there a few weeks ago, diesel fuel was pretty much available at all gas stations if that is what you're asking.
    Hi: dieseldoya... That was one question. The others were about campsites and things not to miss!!!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hey Dieseldragon!,

I lived in Newfoundland for the last 4.5 years and just moved back to Ontario this past September! I still work in St. John's but on a 3 week on, 3 week off rotation on the oil rigs. I feel like I can offer you some good first hand tips on what to do and see!

As the others said, don't worry about diesel availability, you be fine, although you'll probably notice a price increase once you get off the ferry from NS. There is a single shell station in St. Johns, that has normal diesel plus "V Power" premium diesel. They are both the same price, so I figure they are probably just both regular diesel but the V Power usually has a "10x the airmiles" promotion or something similar. So I find its a win win lol

PS - My mileage when towing from St. Johns to Port aux Basques was noticeably worse compared to the rest of my drive to Northern Ontario (17L/100km vs 11-13 the rest of the trip) . I contribute it to rolling hills throughout the island and a tarp that may of been catching some wind. lol

As for things to do, there are tons!

1. Gros Morne - Its a must see National Park and World Heritage Site. Beautiful scenery and lots to do. Take a ferry and tour the Fjords. It is on the west coast of the island

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...ons/gros-morne

2. L'Anse aux Meadows - It is an ancient viking settlement on the northern peninsula of NL. It is the only confirmed viking settlement in North America. Bit of a drive from everything else but totally worth it! You will have a good chance of seeing some caribou .

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...se-aux-meadows

3. St. Pierre and Miquelon - It is a french colony just off the coast of NL - About 4 hours drive from St. Johns to the ferry. Small place but interesting. The ferry over wont take your vehicles though there is parking provided in NL.

4. St John's! - Lots to see and do here. Id recommend all the tourist stuff. Signal Hill Lookout (do the short north head trail) and Cape Spear (most eastern point of NA) .
    Tour boat - Depending when you come in July you'll probably get the whales, but if your lucky you'll catch the tail end of iceberg season as well. Definitely a must do regardless.
    Down town is always a blast, the restaurants are good and the beer is always cold. Lots to see and explore walking around.
    George St - A street downtown solely dedicated to pubs and bars. No car traffic allowed unless its to restock the bars. Definitely got to stumble around there for a night or 2 and get "Screeched In"!! Christians pub is the best place on George St to get screeched in. You have to book earlier in the day, or the day before but its worth it!

Quidi Vidi - Small and very nice fishing village near downtown St. Johns. They have an awesome brewery and also have a iceberg beer - brewed with iceberg water.

5. Irish Loop - About a 3 to 4 hour drive that starts and ends in St. John's . Very Scenic and a nice day trip if you want to stop for breaks and lunch. St. Vincent beach is very nice (probably too cold to swim tho lol)

Driving the Irish Loop in Newfoundland | Vacay.ca

Fun fact - It is a 80km highway, and where I usually got my best mileage (8-8.3L/100km)

Cape St. Francis Light House - Probably not too many tourists go here, but I would recommend it. North of St. Johns a bit, it is at the end of a public dirt road. It is very rugged and scenic and a great place to go for a hike or have lunch. Great place the see the whales if they are around. The light house is unmanned and you don't usually see too many people around.

Port Rexton & Trinity - Couple small towns but have started to get popular as a nice getaway place. Port Rexton has a great brewery and is scenic. Id recommend spending a night or so in that area.

Those are some things just off the top of my head, I know there are many more cool things to do in Newfoundland!

How long is your trip going to be?

Cheers,

Harls
    John Jensen likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Hi: harls_237... Thanks for the tips... very helpful. We're taking our trailer on the briney, and staying on "The Rock" for 3 weeks. Taking the long ride over and the short ride back. Booked a berth... just hope they're not upper/lower ones!!!
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.NFLD in July!!!-p1040903.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hey Dieseldragon,

3 Weeks is a good chunk of time! Youll have plenty of time to explore the island! Every time I have been on the ferry's, the berths weren't upper/lowers so you should be good! I feel sorry for you bank account for taking the short ferry back though! It aint cheap to leave the island! I hope you have a good trip!!

Cheers,

Harls

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harls_237 View Post
    Hey Dieseldragon,

3 Weeks is a good chunk of time! Youll have plenty of time to explore the island! Every time I have been on the ferry's, the berths weren't upper/lowers so you should be good! I feel sorry for you bank account for taking the short ferry back though! It aint cheap to leave the island! I hope you have a good trip!!

Cheers,

Harls
    Hi: harls_237... Nice part about it was getting a fat refund from CRA. All expense's paid. When I woke up from that dream... I found my acct. had made a mistake!!! Now I get back a "G" note + and my wife has to pay a "G" note. "Easy come easy go" Eh?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    563 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harls_237 View Post
    Hey Dieseldragon!,

I lived in Newfoundland for the last 4.5 years and just moved back to Ontario this past September! I still work in St. John's but on a 3 week on, 3 week off rotation on the oil rigs. I feel like I can offer you some good first hand tips on what to do and see!

As the others said, don't worry about diesel availability, you be fine, although you'll probably notice a price increase once you get off the ferry from NS. There is a single shell station in St. Johns, that has normal diesel plus "V Power" premium diesel. They are both the same price, so I figure they are probably just both regular diesel but the V Power usually has a "10x the airmiles" promotion or something similar. So I find its a win win lol

PS - My mileage when towing from St. Johns to Port aux Basques was noticeably worse compared to the rest of my drive to Northern Ontario (17L/100km vs 11-13 the rest of the trip) . I contribute it to rolling hills throughout the island and a tarp that may of been catching some wind. lol

As for things to do, there are tons!

1. Gros Morne - Its a must see National Park and World Heritage Site. Beautiful scenery and lots to do. Take a ferry and tour the Fjords. It is on the west coast of the island

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...ons/gros-morne

2. L'Anse aux Meadows - It is an ancient viking settlement on the northern peninsula of NL. It is the only confirmed viking settlement in North America. Bit of a drive from everything else but totally worth it! You will have a good chance of seeing some caribou .

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...se-aux-meadows

3. St. Pierre and Miquelon - It is a french colony just off the coast of NL - About 4 hours drive from St. Johns to the ferry. Small place but interesting. The ferry over wont take your vehicles though there is parking provided in NL.

4. St John's! - Lots to see and do here. Id recommend all the tourist stuff. Signal Hill Lookout (do the short north head trail) and Cape Spear (most eastern point of NA) .
    Tour boat - Depending when you come in July you'll probably get the whales, but if your lucky you'll catch the tail end of iceberg season as well. Definitely a must do regardless.
    Down town is always a blast, the restaurants are good and the beer is always cold. Lots to see and explore walking around.
    George St - A street downtown solely dedicated to pubs and bars. No car traffic allowed unless its to restock the bars. Definitely got to stumble around there for a night or 2 and get "Screeched In"!! Christians pub is the best place on George St to get screeched in. You have to book earlier in the day, or the day before but its worth it!

Quidi Vidi - Small and very nice fishing village near downtown St. Johns. They have an awesome brewery and also have a iceberg beer - brewed with iceberg water.

5. Irish Loop - About a 3 to 4 hour drive that starts and ends in St. John's . Very Scenic and a nice day trip if you want to stop for breaks and lunch. St. Vincent beach is very nice (probably too cold to swim tho lol)

Driving the Irish Loop in Newfoundland | Vacay.ca

Fun fact - It is a 80km highway, and where I usually got my best mileage (8-8.3L/100km)

Cape St. Francis Light House - Probably not too many tourists go here, but I would recommend it. North of St. Johns a bit, it is at the end of a public dirt road. It is very rugged and scenic and a great place to go for a hike or have lunch. Great place the see the whales if they are around. The light house is unmanned and you don't usually see too many people around.

Port Rexton & Trinity - Couple small towns but have started to get popular as a nice getaway place. Port Rexton has a great brewery and is scenic. Id recommend spending a night or so in that area.

Those are some things just off the top of my head, I know there are many more cool things to do in Newfoundland!

How long is your trip going to be?

Cheers,

Harls
    Great info here. Considering driving from FL to NS and NFLD in June...looks like a couple of ferry rides eh?

Question...can a car rented in Bangor be driven across the border? Also thoughts on NS...thank you.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 282k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 191k / 4,550 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Damm! Ive been there and know your pain!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links