Air Suspension Problems - Page 2

Air Suspension Problems

This is a discussion on Air Suspension Problems within the Canadian General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 1500 Diesel Canadian Forum category; Thanks all for the responses. If the system is a closed system using nitrogen which is an inert gas (the gas doesn't expand or contract ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Air Suspension Problems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Long Horn Limited 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks all for the responses. If the system is a closed system using nitrogen which is an inert gas (the gas doesn't expand or contract with cold or hot weather) then there should never be any moisture in the system. If the system uses outside air then I can see the problem, if it is sucking in cold (-30c) moisture filled air which freezes that would be why these compressors are failing. I asked the dealer how these air systems work and no one can give me a straight answer. I would think that installing a desiccant filter on the air inlet of the compressor where it pulls in outside air would dry the air before entering the system which should solve the freezing problem but these filters would have to be changed constantly because they would be in atmospheric air all the time and due to their ability to absorb moisture would be full (wet) in a very short period of time probably days. I thought about trying to put the system into a vacuum using my vacuum pump and installing a vacuum gauge but if it is a closed system then there should be no air or moisture to pull out. If its an open system then I will never be able to pull a good vacuum and would introduce more moisture into the system as it went into a slight vacuum. I am not sure what suspension I would replace the air suspension with, I talked to the dealer the last time my truck was in getting fixed and they had just did a total air suspension delete for another customer so whatever they did for his will work fine for mine when the time comes. In the delete they removed the entire air suspension and put in whatever suspension comes in the other Rams, they removed all the warning lights and codes.
    Any thoughts on what i have said here would be greatly appreciated as I have a few years of warranty left (2021) before they have to come up with a fix.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 ram 1500 outdoorsman, ecodiesel
    Liked
    35 times
    I just traded off my ‘14 with air suspension partly due to the air suspension. The air system is designed as a closed system, but every time the truck is powered up the compressor brings in outside air for 15 seconds, reads the pressure, relieves for 3 seconds and reads the system pressure again to calculate the volume in the tank. I’m going by memory on the times, so they may be off. I started a different thread earlier this winter about possible fixes. The blanket and heater on the motor made it run better, but I have cracked the valve body once and had the line between the compressor and valve body freeze twice since adding the heat. I also managed to locate an air suspension delete kit online at https://www.strutmasters.com/product...ion-kit-dr14f/ that I would have used if my truck would not have had 156000 miles on it. I hope you have better luck than I did with finding a fix.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    The OEM air ride system is a closed system and it is filled with nitrogen from the factory. That is what it is designed to have in it. The issue comes about when it thinks the nitrogen is getting low, it has the ability to pull ambient air to ensure there is sufficient volume to maintain the required pressure in the system. If this happens, then you can and will have the problems people are describing in the cold for the reasons already stated (moisture in the air freezing the system). There is a connection behind the passenger side rear wheel to recharge the system with nitrogen. If you're having issues with the system freezing or blowing fuses for the compressor, then I would do as Crash suggested and have the system purged and refilled to ensure there is no air or moisture present.
    2015 Limited, 3.55 LSD, bought 1/2017 (36k miles). GDE tuned since 3/17, 73k miles and counting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok so if these are closed nitrogen systems then I need to go back to the dealer and have them either find a leak and repair it or replace the sensor that makes it think it’s low on nitrogen. This will stop the compressor from bringing in outside air. Thanks all.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 ram 1500 outdoorsman, ecodiesel
    Liked
    35 times
    My next step in mind for troubleshooting while I was chasing my possible reasons for freezing was to move the guards off of the suspension bladders and soak them with snoop then have someone move the suspension up and down while I searched for bubbles. Best of luck finding and fixing the issue. The air ride cannot be beat when it’s working properly

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree 100%. The ride is unbeatable when it’s working. Is this just a Ram issue as I have a few friends with Land Rovers with Air Suspension and they have never had a problem yet. One is 10 years old the other is 4.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SaskStrong View Post
    If the system uses outside air then I can see the problem, if it is sucking in cold (-30c) moisture filled air which freezes that would be why these compressors are failing.
    I'll have to check with my Dodge mechanic buddy but I don't think the system is capable of sucking in outside air.
    Actually the colder the air, the less moisture it is able to hold. Even if the relative humidity is 90% @ -30°C, once that air is warmed up to 20°C the relative humidity is way down in the single digits.
    It doesn't take much moisture to effect the operation of solenoid valves and pressure sensors in a sealed system.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Limited Crew Cab
    Liked
    196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SaskStrong View Post
    Thanks all for the responses. If the system is a closed system using nitrogen which is an inert gas (the gas doesn't expand or contract with cold or hot weather) then there should never be any moisture in the system. If the system uses outside air then I can see the problem, if it is sucking in cold (-30c) moisture filled air which freezes that would be why these compressors are failing. I asked the dealer how these air systems work and no one can give me a straight answer. I would think that installing a desiccant filter on the air inlet of the compressor where it pulls in outside air would dry the air before entering the system which should solve the freezing problem but these filters would have to be changed constantly because they would be in atmospheric air all the time and due to their ability to absorb moisture would be full (wet) in a very short period of time probably days. I thought about trying to put the system into a vacuum using my vacuum pump and installing a vacuum gauge but if it is a closed system then there should be no air or moisture to pull out. If its an open system then I will never be able to pull a good vacuum and would introduce more moisture into the system as it went into a slight vacuum. I am not sure what suspension I would replace the air suspension with, I talked to the dealer the last time my truck was in getting fixed and they had just did a total air suspension delete for another customer so whatever they did for his will work fine for mine when the time comes. In the delete they removed the entire air suspension and put in whatever suspension comes in the other Rams, they removed all the warning lights and codes.
    Any thoughts on what i have said here would be greatly appreciated as I have a few years of warranty left (2021) before they have to come up with a fix.
    I'd have to say I'm encouraged by the possibility that the system could be replaced with the front shock, back independent springs configuration but also discouraged at the thought of needing to do so as I feel the air system is top drawer. I've had some of the same error messages everyone else has had, but never a failure and never down on the bump stops. Also, a replacement system wouldn't have that OEM feel to it, and replacing it with front shocks and back air bags just wouldn't be the same as the factory air ride. We are all cost aware, however, and I think someone commented the replacement OEm back air shocks/bags are 1500 a piece or some such crazy number. The thought of paying that even once would go down hard. 'Honey, we need to replace the back shocks on the truck'. 'Oh yes, and how much will that be?' 'Er, um, did you do something new with your hair, it looks great!'.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1552 times
    Four vehicles now with this air suspension setup and zero problems. But while we have cold here in IL, it's not the prolonged super-deep cold of the north.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2336 times
    This is a screenshot from the WiTech the dealers use. The system is sealed, it doesn't use outside air.

I have a suspicion that techs may be using shop air instead of nitrogen to add to these systems causing problems. Even if the shop runs an air drier, it's still has a bunch of moisture in it compared to nitrogen. There is a refill tool needed to use nitrogen, basically just a pressure regulator.
    VernDiesel, Kazimodo and TwoBobs like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links