Air Suspension Problems - Page 4

Air Suspension Problems

This is a discussion on Air Suspension Problems within the Canadian General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 1500 Diesel Canadian Forum category; This has been a great post with lots of good information. Thanks all for your input. I think the next time it fails around January ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Air Suspension Problems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Long Horn Limited 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1 times
    This has been a great post with lots of good information. Thanks all for your input. I think the next time it fails around January I will have have them look for a leak and hopefully find one as this is getting ridiculous, the air line antifreeze sounds like a good quick fix, possibly put this antifreeze in every winter and maybe that will eliminate the problem.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Diesel
    Liked
    193 times
    Totally makes sense now why I had freezing problems (initially). There were leaks in my system that allowed Air/Moisture in. The problems started last year (Up until then the system had worked flawless). The dealer kept telling me that it was just because it was cold - but I advised if that was the case, why did it work fine the first two winters? (The first winter I had the truck, it was a pretty cold winter).

The dealer does have a procedure for drying out the system, but I believe they have to go to Head Office, before they are authorized to do it (at least that is what happened in my case). But when that did not work - and I lost all the Nitrogen for the 2nd time - it pointed to yet another leak.

One thing that was helpful is that I continued to deal with the same Service Adviser, and she would request a technician who was the most experienced. I think it also helped that I did not lose it on her (though it was tempting). At the end of the day they were trying their best to assist, and recognized this was not just a "cold" issue. But it was a pain to track down (there were at least 3 separate leaks, before they could finally diagnose the small leaks from the rear shocks).

Will see how it goes next winter.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Limited Crew Cab
    Liked
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
    Totally makes sense now why I had freezing problems (initially). There were leaks in my system that allowed Air/Moisture in. The problems started last year (Up until then the system had worked flawless). The dealer kept telling me that it was just because it was cold - but I advised if that was the case, why did it work fine the first two winters? (The first winter I had the truck, it was a pretty cold winter).

The dealer does have a procedure for drying out the system, but I believe they have to go to Head Office, before they are authorized to do it (at least that is what happened in my case). But when that did not work - and I lost all the Nitrogen for the 2nd time - it pointed to yet another leak.

One thing that was helpful is that I continued to deal with the same Service Adviser, and she would request a technician who was the most experienced. I think it also helped that I did not lose it on her (though it was tempting). At the end of the day they were trying their best to assist, and recognized this was not just a "cold" issue. But it was a pain to track down (there were at least 3 separate leaks, before they could finally diagnose the small leaks from the rear shocks).

Will see how it goes next winter.
    Can you share a little more about your leaks? How did you become aware of them? Was it messages on the EVIC? Did you hear the compressor running continually? Also, did your truck drop to the bump stops? Just curious as I wonder at what point the system would no longer attempt to supply additional air and if the compressor just continually run to accomodate a leak? There must be a point where it will no longer be willing or able to supply the additional air and send messages to the EVIC.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I had mine freeze up once when it was 30 below. I put a heater underneath it replaced the fuse and been fine since. Semi trucks use dryer systems and have to believe it can be done on the ram system! 3 winters so far all good and love the truck!

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by POOKY View Post
    Semi trucks use dryer systems and have to believe it can be done on the ram system! 3 winters so far all good and love the truck!
    Semi's also use alcohol or other liquid to keep their lines from freezing because they use outside air, not nitrogen.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 1500 SLT 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    95 times
    Yeah they have a desiccant cartridge on an air dryer and as bounty stated use outside air.. We sell a lot of air brake anti-freeze here at KW when the temps start to plummet.. Their braking systems depend on a fully functioning air system as well so definitely super important for the big rigs to have it!
    2017 RAM 1500 SLT 3.0 EcoDiesel 3.92

Member #
    Vehicle
    '17 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 ED
    Before I ordered my 2017, I read about multiple problems with air suspensions in cold weather. Thus I skipped on my order sheet.
    Still have room for 34" tires on factory suspension if I put 2" blocks on front, which I will do on next tires.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Diesel
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RudolfDiesel View Post
    Can you share a little more about your leaks? How did you become aware of them? Was it messages on the EVIC? Did you hear the compressor running continually? Also, did your truck drop to the bump stops? Just curious as I wonder at what point the system would no longer attempt to supply additional air and if the compressor just continually run to accomodate a leak? There must be a point where it will no longer be willing or able to supply the additional air and send messages to the EVIC.
    My truck was in the dealership 5 or 6 times. First started out with EVIC Messages, generally that I had a payload problem or service immediately. I would be down on the Front Left Shock (could be seen clearly) - at first when it warmed up, it would fix itself, pointing to a Valve Block freezing issue and/or compressor problems.

Once those two items were replaced (on separate visits) I thought the problem was fixed. The day I got the Truck back from the dealer, I parked it on the road to clear my driveway. By the time I was done, the Truck was down on all 4 sides to the bump stops (Maybe 20 minutes max). When the dealer looked at it again, I was informed that all the Nitrogen had leaked out (there was a service air suspension message in EVIC).

Each time one leak was fixed, it would last a little longer, but eventually would be flat on all 4 corners (it was really fun driving with full shocks on the right side, and nothing on the left side). Each time the diagnosis would be the same - no Nitrogen in the system, and another leak tracked down.

In answer to your questions on these leaks:
    1) No I did not hear the compressor running constantly. I would hear it come on/off as per normal, at least until the system was empty. Then the compressor would not run.
    2) Truck went to the bump stops, as there was nothing left in the system to inflate the bags. This would indicate it did not take in outside air to replace what was lost.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links