Air Suspension Problems

Air Suspension Problems

This is a discussion on Air Suspension Problems within the Canadian General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 1500 Diesel Canadian Forum category; I have had nothing but problems with this air suspension every winter, it freezes up and in all different configurations from the rear end of ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Air Suspension Problems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Long Horn Limited 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1 times

Air Suspension Problems

I have had nothing but problems with this air suspension every winter, it freezes up and in all different configurations from the rear end of the truck being in off road 2 and the front in aero mode, or the passenger side of the truck being in off road 2 and the driver side being in normal mode, or the entire truck being stuck in the lowest (enter/exit) mode. All three times the compressor had to be changed. The dealership says FCA has no fix for this problem. The last time I had to get it fixed in Feb 2019 I had to wait almost 2 weeks to get it in for service because of all the Air Suspension problems. The dealership no longer orders trucks with the Air Suspension I was told by the service manager. The Suspension is awesome in summer and the worst thing ever in winter, which makes my 4x4 truck a great 8 month of the year vehicle. I bet there are very few problems with this system in the warmer climates but the northern states and Canada these are useless to the point they shouldn’t even be sold here in Canada until they find a fix. Has anyone heard of a class action lawsuit against FCA for these Air Suspensions or has anyone found a fix for this problem. The only fix I see is having the Air suspension removed and have just a regular suspension installed. Thanks for all your comments in advance.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Limited ED Crew Cab "loaded"
    Liked
    37 times
    I have heard nothing about any lawsuit. I plan to remove suspension before December. Every time I haul my trailer in the winter the suspension failed.

Jerry

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Limited Crew Cab
    Liked
    196 times
    What do you plan to replace your air suspension with?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2336 times
    I'm wondering since the air suspension failures are cold related and the system "freezes" up if it would be possible to do a triple evacuation of the system similar to a refrigeration system.
    Let all the nitrogen out of the system and pull it down in a vacuum, see if you can get it under 1000 microns(for refrigeration systems it's 500). Refill the system with nitrogen. Drive around for a month and repeat. A tank of nitrogen is cheap, do this procedure a couple of times. Between the system being evacuated and the dry nitrogen any moisture should be absorbed.
    dieseldoya likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Limited ED Crew Cab "loaded"
    Liked
    37 times
    No idea. I am leaving the decision up to my mechanic. He is currently researching the possibilities.

Jerry

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    I'm wondering since the air suspension failures are cold related and the system "freezes" up if it would be possible to do a triple evacuation of the system similar to a refrigeration system.
    Let all the nitrogen out of the system and pull it down in a vacuum, see if you can get it under 1000 microns(for refrigeration systems it's 500). Refill the system with nitrogen. Drive around for a month and repeat. A tank of nitrogen is cheap, do this procedure a couple of times. Between the system being evacuated and the dry nitrogen any moisture should be absorbed.
    does the system have a drier in it like an AC system does? Perhaps there should be one if there isn't or it might need replacing if there is one.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Limited Crew Cab
    Liked
    196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grover_yyz View Post
    No idea. I am leaving the decision up to my mechanic. He is currently researching the possibilities.

Jerry
    Can you please respond to this string when you decide, it will give many of us food for thought. Thanks.
    grover_yyz likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    does the system have a drier in it like an AC system does? Perhaps there should be one if there isn't or it might need replacing if there is one.
    I don't think it does, I don't even think the compressor has oil in it. Without oil in the compressor and the design of the system(sealed nitrogen system), there's not much reason to have some form desiccant built in.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1260 times
    I don't remember the thread I read this from ,,,,,,, but wasn't it mentioned that when the system loses some of the Nitrogen ,
    it replaces it with outside air , and that is when the humidity is introduced in the system , compressor making air warmer
    , then cooling down ,not as much humidity can be contained in colder air , gets deposited on cold
    surfaces , later freezing and creating problems .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited 4x4, Crew Cab, 6'4" box, 3.55 limited slip, Leer 100XQ
    Liked
    45 times
    We just had one of the coldest winters in Chicago and I have never had an issue with my air suspension...I love it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links