How to save your turbocharger - Page 3

How to save your turbocharger

This is a discussion on How to save your turbocharger within the DIY How To Section forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Brings to mind a discussion at work about auto stop\start feature and my thoughts on effect to diesel engines. Hot summer day, been towing a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: How to save your turbocharger

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    146 times
    Brings to mind a discussion at work about auto stop\start feature and my thoughts on effect to diesel engines. Hot summer day, been towing a 5 to 6,000 lb travel trailer down the interstate at 65 - 70 mph. You exit the highway roll to stop at the bottom of the off ramp to stop and wait for a red light and the truck promptly shuts down and the turbo start cooking.

Lovely
    2014 Ram Outdoorsman, Tuxedo LoPro Bed Cover, Geno's Cabin Air Filter, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Geno's Garage Fuel Cap, Kats Power Cord, Plasti Dipped Emblems

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6710 times
    Kind of an old thread but this is a creative comment. Not sure they do that stop/start thing with the diesels but maybe. If they do I hope there's a temperature sensor ( oh my more computer sensors???) to turn that stop/start system off.

Engineers are not that dumb, are they?
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Bgbdwlf2500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheB2B View Post
    Brings to mind a discussion at work about auto stop\start feature and my thoughts on effect to diesel engines. Hot summer day, been towing a 5 to 6,000 lb travel trailer down the interstate at 65 - 70 mph. You exit the highway roll to stop at the bottom of the off ramp to stop and wait for a red light and the truck promptly shuts down and the turbo start cooking.

Lovely
    I very seriously doubt that feature saves fuel at all. I know I didnt lose any mpg turning the afm off on my 2010 sierra. Plus the starts on the starter, battery, etc. Seems like an aweful idea to me. We bought a pacifica as well as my truck the same day and the Pacifica has that auto start feature. You can disable it but it'll come back on the next start up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn Edition
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    I'm not sure these quality made well oiled and liquid cooled turbos won't on average last as long as the engine.
    @Vern, Did anything go wrong on your Turbo in the first 370K miles?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Kind of an old thread but this is a creative comment. Not sure they do that stop/start thing with the diesels but maybe. If they do I hope there's a temperature sensor ( oh my more computer sensors???) to turn that stop/start system off.

You would think the stop/start could be cancelled via the tow/haul mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3698 times
    Iíve never had a turbo fail. However at 341k when the cab was off due to replacement of the transmission harness the turbo was replaced by insurance as it could have been damaged by the oil fire. It wasnít imo but I wasnít going to argue.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    146 times
    When I was over in England in 2013 visiting a friend who was transferred there due to his job, he had a Mercedes Benz with the auto stop\start but I don't recall it being a diesel, do remember getting into the passenger front seat on the wrong side of the car.

But anyway are Engineers that dumb? No. Government officials? Yes
    2014 Ram Outdoorsman, Tuxedo LoPro Bed Cover, Geno's Cabin Air Filter, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Geno's Garage Fuel Cap, Kats Power Cord, Plasti Dipped Emblems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheB2B View Post

Lovely
    Old thread, I know. But i like going through old stuff. So my brother-in-law works for Ford. (Canada) He works on the sync stuff. He has a 2019 F150 with the new 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel. It uses the start/stop feature. There is a big button right beside the hazard button to shut it off. Come to think of it, I used it to pull a trailer the other day....in tow/haul mode..... and it never did the stop/start..... so maybe it's disabled in tow mode... It also has Normal mode, tow/haul mode, off-road mode, eco mode and sport mode.
    M.A.R.Z. Farm

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    422 times
    That is a lot of modes....

You would think that it definitely should be programmed off in tow/haul, when engine temps are low, or anytime outside of in-town, congested driving. I donít hate the feature, as long as itís reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by farm View Post
    Old thread, I know. But i like going through old stuff. So my brother-in-law works for Ford. (Canada) He works on the sync stuff. He has a 2019 F150 with the new 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel. It uses the start/stop feature. There is a big button right beside the hazard button to shut it off. Come to think of it, I used it to pull a trailer the other day....in tow/haul mode..... and it never did the stop/start..... so maybe it's disabled in tow mode... It also has Normal mode, tow/haul mode, off-road mode, eco mode and sport mode.
    So we need an opinion/comparison between the 3.0 PS and the 3.0 Ecodiesel….

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links