Cold weather ahead!!! - Page 3

Cold weather ahead!!!

This is a discussion on Cold weather ahead!!! within the DIY How To Section forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by Kazimodo I'll have a look at what you are saying when the time comes Bounty , but I remember those 2 tabs ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cold weather ahead!!!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    I'll have a look at what you are saying when the time comes Bounty , but I remember
    those 2 tabs that go between the grille and headlight are thin ones , they are not padded
    like the bottom ones , at least on my model , the el-cheapo Mopar gave me on R-51 program
    it has no closeable flaps , 4 holes open all the time .

there would really have to be a groove
    in that area that prevents the tab to come forward to see any benifits .
    I am not against spending an additional 1 minute to improove the install , specially if it makes it more " theft proof ".
    Yes those tabs are thin ones and if the cover is installed the proper way, the tabs will lock in and will indeed prevent the cover from coming forward as designed.
    Kazimodo likes this.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1618 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    I'there would really have to be a groove
    in that area that prevents the tab to come forward to see any benifits .
    I am not against spending an additional 1 minute to improove the install , specially if it makes it more " theft proof ".
    The end flaps lock solidly behind the grille when slid down from above. There is no apparent way to get them secure by pushing them in from the front.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Lou
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel
    Liked
    127 times
    The end flaps on mine have not locked in securely following the factory procedure.
    I have always had difficulty getting the lower tabs to tuck in.
    I have had no problems with the cover coming loose, and I make it a point to go thru a car wash at least weekly during the winter because of the amount of salt and calcium used in this area.
    The car wash I use is not one of the no touch ones it has rotating brushes that go across the front end to clean and an under body wash.
    I also have certainly not worried about someone stealing mine off the truck.
    I have used mine routinely for the two winters I have had this truck and I'll be using it again this winter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1327 times
    I am holding on to the idea that summer and fall climate is not over yet , so I will only look into this
    when the cold is here .........
    I am ready , with my block heater plug installed in the rear bumper , and my winter cover on stand by .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold weather ahead!!!-img_2306.jpg  
    dieseldoya and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The end flaps on mine have not locked in securely following the factory procedure.
    I have always had difficulty getting the lower tabs to tuck in.
    I have had no problems with the cover coming loose, and I make it a point to go thru a car wash at least weekly during the winter because of the amount of salt and calcium used in this area.
    The car wash I use is not one of the no touch ones it has rotating brushes that go across the front end to clean and an under body wash.
    I also have certainly not worried about someone stealing mine off the truck.
    I have used mine routinely for the two winters I have had this truck and I'll be using it again this winter.
    Hi: Lou... Here on the north shore rust belt... no self respecting white Ram ecoD would be seen "Bra less" in winter. I'm a fan of Krown rust control http://www.krown.com to keep the rust at bay.
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    Lou likes this.

Lou
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel
    Liked
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldragon View Post
    Hi: Lou... Here on the north shore rust belt... no self respecting white Ram ecoD would be seen "Bra less" in winter. I'm a fan of Krown rust control http://www.krown.com to keep the rust at bay.
    I know what you mean, mines not white I got the granite.
    Slipping a bit also this will be the forth winter for this truck, not the third.
    I went with the Waxoyl product it seems to be doing pretty good for me so far.
    https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/index.html

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I know what you mean, mines not white I got the granite.
    Slipping a bit also this will be the forth winter for this truck, not the third.
    I went with the Waxoyl product it seems to be doing pretty good for me so far.
    https://www.waxoyl-usa.com/index.html
    Hi: Lou...I can't believe there's people around who'd buy a vehicle at todays prices and not add $100.00 bucks anually worth of rust protection!!! They're probably ones that wouldn't bother fitting a bra either.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Dad View Post
    At what average ambient outdoor temperature should the bib be installed?
    I just put mine on a few days ago. Due to the global warming thing, it don't get cold up here in Alaska like it used to do. By now it should be froze and snow on the ground.

But instead it's been around 50 F. outside, and for light driving around town I find the Eco has no problem with overheat leaving the two upper holes open.

Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sourdo View Post
    I just put mine on a few days ago. Due to the global warming thing, it don't get cold up here in Alaska like it used to do. By now it should be froze and snow on the ground.

But instead it's been around 50 F. outside, and for light driving around town I find the Eco has no problem with overheat leaving the two upper holes open.

Cheers
    sourdo
    Hi: sourdo... Enjoy it while you can. I'm thinkin' my white EcoD. is gonna look pretty in a black bra Eh?
    DieselDragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldragon View Post
    Hi: sourdo... Enjoy it while you can. I'm thinkin' my white EcoD. is gonna look pretty in a black bra Eh?
    DieselDragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    You know what they say, "Pay back is a mofo!"

It started Sunday morning, cold hard rain, 39 F. By noon it was a wet snow, but starting to stick. By evening it's really coming down.

Monday morning, it's still hammering down, 6 inches. By noon, 8 inches when I started up the plow (700 Grizz) and 23 F. Total was about 9-10 inches of snow.

Game over, game oooooover....

I did get to try out the block heater, it works well. After a couple of hours, I started up the truck, in 5 minutes it was blowing warm air and melting the windshield, excellent! I also closed up all the holes on the grill cover. But once on the road, and everyone is going slow and poking along, I find my truck struggling to get hot, I got up to 170 F and it backed off a bit, putting in Tow/haul mode helped, but in all the Eco warmed up proper by the time I got home, 204 F. However I can start to see the issue with properly warming up the Eco engine in winter. So I'll make a bold statement, any of you running around in winter braless are asking for it. It's in the manual, they say use it, it could effect your warranty, so just use it. And if your worried about how it looks, it won't matter if it's in the shop!

Overall, and this was the first snow day, the Ram did well in the snow. But I do miss that limited slip rear end I had in my Silverado, I rarely used 4wd in it.

sourdo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links