Cold weather ahead!!! - Page 4

Cold weather ahead!!!

This is a discussion on Cold weather ahead!!! within the DIY How To Section forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by sourdo You know what they say, "Pay back is a mofo!" It started Sunday morning, cold hard rain, 39 F. By noon ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cold weather ahead!!!

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sourdo View Post
    You know what they say, "Pay back is a mofo!"

It started Sunday morning, cold hard rain, 39 F. By noon it was a wet snow, but starting to stick. By evening it's really coming down.

Monday morning, it's still hammering down, 6 inches. By noon, 8 inches when I started up the plow (700 Grizz) and 23 F. Total was about 9-10 inches of snow.

Game over, game oooooover....

I did get to try out the block heater, it works well. After a couple of hours, I started up the truck, in 5 minutes it was blowing warm air and melting the windshield, excellent! I also closed up all the holes on the grill cover. But once on the road, and everyone is going slow and poking along, I find my truck struggling to get hot, I got up to 170 F and it backed off a bit, putting in Tow/haul mode helped, but in all the Eco warmed up proper by the time I got home, 204 F. However I can start to see the issue with properly warming up the Eco engine in winter. So I'll make a bold statement, any of you running around in winter braless are asking for it. It's in the manual, they say use it, it could effect your warranty, so just use it. And if your worried about how it looks, it won't matter if it's in the shop!

Overall, and this was the first snow day, the Ram did well in the snow. But I do miss that limited slip rear end I had in my Silverado, I rarely used 4wd in it.

sourdo
    Hi: sourdo... I have the Limited Slip Dif.& 3:55 gears in my 2016 Laramie Longhorn so I should do all right this winter Eh?
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    430 times
    Good observation, unless it's moving and working it's not making heat and it's surprising how fast the temp gauge drops at idle.
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    194 times
    Drove to my deer stand yesterday morning. I have the cold front on (it's not a bra) and temps came up to normal with an outside temp of 5F. Problem is, I don't have a current bush out in the middle of the field to plug my truck into so it sits all day getting cold. By 5pm all the temps were very close to ambient temp. Got in, started up, gave it a few minutes and drove it out of the field. No big deal.
    TwoBobs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    He's doing it the wrong. way.

It slides down from the top and actually locks-in behind the headlights.

Here's the instructions that come with the cover:
    well I installed my cover today , ( I was in Florida until Dec 2 )
    and my el cheapo model that FCA gave me is not long enough to go any where behind the headlight ,
    and that part is not thick enough to grab on anything , so the video was probaly done with a cover like mine .
    the side flaps hold in there with pressure from lastic bands at the top , and outer lower cushions .
    ...so they are possibly not all made the same , it is not only the closable holes that differ.
    Next year I'll wear my glasses and try again to slide behind the grill , 2018 will be like the last winter .

Member #
    Any suggestions what should I do with my headlights..dunno why every time it's cold, it takes around 20 seconds before the light turns on.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hellograce View Post
    Any suggestions what should I do with my headlights..dunno why every time it's cold, it takes around 20 seconds before the light turns on.
    Stock???

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hellograce View Post
    Hi: hellograce... LoL, that's nothing. Sometimes for me it's the middle of the night before the "Light" comes on!!!
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links