So you're tuned and worried about the AEM update

This is a discussion on So you're tuned and worried about the AEM update within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; This paragraph of the settlement information should be of importance to you. Pay special attention to the words "substantially affect". Anyone have a game plan ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: So you're tuned and worried about the AEM update

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1552 times

This paragraph of the settlement information should be of importance to you. Pay special attention to the words "substantially affect".

Anyone have a game plan on how to approach the dealer to get the AEM flash performed despite modifications?

If you altered the emission control system in your vehicle, you may still be eligible to receive the AEM and may still be a Class Member eligible for compensation under the Class Action Agreement. However, if the AEM cannot be installed on your vehicle because of alterations to the emission control system or if the alterations are likely to substantially affect the operation of your vehicle with the AEM installed, you may not be eligible for the AEM or compensation under the Class Action Agreement unless you first reverse the alterations, at your own expense (see Paragraph 38.e of the Consent Decree and Paragraph 2.52 of the Class Action Agreement for additional details).
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    RAM 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 Ecodiesel 2015
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    This paragraph of the settlement information should be of importance to you. Pay special attention to the words "substantially affect".

Anyone have a game plan on how to approach the dealer to get the AEM flash performed despite modifications?
    Thanks Bounty, based on this I think with external oil cooler you will be fine, but with EGR cooler removed or blocked off, it will be a problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    What kind of modifications are you meaning? Wheels and tires? Oil coolers? Cold air intake? Tune? deletes?

Honestly as long as your emissions is intact I think everyone will be fine.

If you have a tune just hope your ECM wasn’t locked by the tuner. My old T&K ECM was locked and the dealer could not flash over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1552 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lucskoj View Post
    If you have a tune just hope your ECM wasn’t locked by the tuner. My old T&K ECM was locked and the dealer could not flash over it.
    I've never heard of this being an issue, or even possible, with our ECM's.

I'll remove my Stage 1 EGR delete and reinstall the EGR diffuser tube. I'm on the fence about reversing the GDE oil pressure sensor kit. Leaving the kit will throw a CEL after the AEM.

I'm not the least worried about the external oil cooler as I've had warranty work completed in the past with the cooler installed.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Only concern I would have about oil kit would be the CEL it throws after the AEM. Dealer might not like that. Make sure you start filling up with DEF if you have been running distilled water. I’m sure a lot of people will forget about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dieselfever likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    [QUOTE=lucskoj;954078]Only concern I would have about oil kit would be the CEL it throws after the AEM. Dealer might not like that. Make sure you start filling up with DEF if you have been running distilled water. I’m sure a lot of people will forget about that.

The dealer can flash over a GDE Hot Tune, speaking from experience. This paragraph would be of concern if you went for an Off Road Tune and eliminated emission system hardware or full delete.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    177 times

I wonder if I’ll throw any codes when they update because the sensors have been shut off for a couple years. Who knows if they will work! If they don’t, maybe they will want me to fix at my cost before I’m eligible for the settlement?
    2015 Laramie
    Crew cab

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Dealer should be able to install the tune without starting or driving the truck. So any deleted parts would be irrelevant. Just flash the ECU and give the truck back to the owner!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1552 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lucskoj View Post
    Only concern I would have about oil kit would be the CEL it throws after the AEM. Dealer might not like that. Make sure you start filling up with DEF if you have been running distilled water. I’m sure a lot of people will forget about that.
    An external oil cooler will not throw any codes, stock tune or otherwise.

I ran my distilled water down during winter and replaced with DEF so I should be good there.

If imagine it will be standard practice after the AEM to start the truck to verify the program and to check for CEL.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2335 times

It seems to e another key statement is the following one-

(2) operable (i.e., capable of being driven under its own engine power lawfully and safely) as of the date the vehicle is brought in for the Approved Emissions Modification.

I don't know enough about individual state emissions laws or the Federal laws to have a knowledgeable opinion but I would question if an emissions non compliant vehicle can operate lawfully on the public roads in the US and/or every individual state. If the answe is no then the question is what, if anything, will the dealer do to determine it is operating lawfully.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links