ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!! - Page 2

ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!!

This is a discussion on ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!! within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter I'll add this info since this has the potential to be a good informative thread for GDE customers with the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I'll add this info since this has the potential to be a good informative thread for GDE customers with the trans tune. Trans tune customers should have received an email from GDE with the following instructions:

As many of you might be aware, FCA’s Approved Emissions Modification campaign for these vehicles is under way. This update action will install new engine and transmission software to your vehicle.

Some customers might already have embarked upon this update adventure already before this note was received.

If you have our GDE flash tool used to deploy the trans tune to your vehicle, it is highly suggested to perform the following steps before you go to the dealer to have the AEM update performed:

Connect the tool to your vehicle, enter the Tuning menu, and write the ORIGINAL (stock) file back into the transmission
    Once the transmission is flashed back to stock, connect the tool to your PC and open the console software used to communicate with it.
    Select “Erase Data” on the left side menu, then click START in the main window. Follow all prompts to complete the process of clearing the tool.

With the tool cleared out, you will now be able to make a read of the new software installed by the dealer and submit to us for re-building.

If the above steps are not followed and the dealer updates your transmission while the tune was still installed, the tool will be locked and the only recovery is to purchase a new tool.

I appreciate your post, Bounty. I did not receive an email from GDE (and I'm not upset about that - I'd rather they invest their time poring over the AEM code than worry about emailing me) but I've stored your post in my Ram notes in preparation for the AEM update.

I've been going back and forth with getting the update and depositing a check vs waiting a couple of months and doing the update and a quick turnaround with the refreshed GDE tune. We have a bunch of camping trips planned for this summer and I like the turbo brake and tranny tune too much to not have them when pulling the trailer. But cash is very attractive...

Thanks again for your post.

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    552 times
    Could you have waited until later to have the AEM installed?
    Yes but would not have the extended warranty.
    97hmcs and Houser like this.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 280k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 188k / 4.460 hrs and counting

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I got the email AFTER I called GDE about my problem. They said my box was now a brick, so I repurchased the tune. They apparently remembered me after the purchase, and refunded me all but the cost for a new flash box. So thankful! Getting the tune reinstalled was a no-brainer. The tranny tune along with the engine tune has really transformed my ecodiesel. Best thing I could have done for my truck short of removing all the environmental crap.
    97hmcs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Has GDE updated or improved the transmission tune now that AEM has came out?

I ask because I already have GDE trans tune file thats about a year old.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Does the trans tune make a noticeable difference? I am just curious as I have a 2017 and wonder what the difference would be like as I like how the truck shifts now but I imagine it would only be better? Does it shift quicker, hold gears longer, etc?

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1493 times
    Quote Originally Posted by justind View Post
    Does the trans tune make a noticeable difference? I am just curious as I have a 2017 and wonder what the difference would be like as I like how the truck shifts now but I imagine it would only be better? Does it shift quicker, hold gears longer, etc?
    Night and day difference. For me, the trans tune was a more noticeable improvement than the hot tune was over the stock tune. Really wakes up the lazy transmission and makes the truck fun to drive. Highly recommend.

The trans tune really shines when towing.
    TwoBobs and Blacky68 like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Night and day difference. For me, the trans tune was a more noticeable improvement than the hot tune was over the stock tune. Really wakes up the lazy transmission and makes the truck fun to drive. Highly recommend.

The trans tune really shines when towing.
    Appreciate the response, I will be ordering!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My problems just keep growing. Got a call from the dealership stating the new AEM tune was not complete, and they need to hook back up to my truck to pull some data? I can only imagine that it is some type of confirmation that the tune was complete. All this after I have purchased another GDE tune and installed the ECU. Told the dealership not to flash anything until they talk to me. Waiting in the lounge now for the news

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    gmills60, are they installing the aem flash from under the hood of the truck or under the dash?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigt88 View Post
    gmills60, are they installing the aem flash from under the hood of the truck or under the dash?
    OBD2 port under the dash.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links