Horrible throttle response after new Software - Page 13

Horrible throttle response after new Software

This is a discussion on Horrible throttle response after new Software within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Got mine done today. No adverse effects. Drives as good or better than it did before....

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Horrible throttle response after new Software

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 CC 4x2
    Liked
    273 times
    Got mine done today. No adverse effects. Drives as good or better than it did before.
    TwoBobs and 97hmcs like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    2 times
    I had the AEM done in May 2019 at about 36,000 miles and immediately noticed three changes: First, there is now an acceleration "lag" under specific conditions. This lag never happened before the engine and transmission control units were flashed. The lag happens only when the engine was not fully warmed up and only when I climb the approximate 15% grade 1/2 mile from our house to the top of the hill. I do always start the engine and allow it to idle approximately 2 minutes before climbing the hill but I never warm it up to full temperature before taking off. The lag feels like the turbo is not spooling up fast enough. There is also the possibility that the transmission control module software mod now causes the engine to upshift sooner than before when climbing. During this climb, my transmission is shifting to third too soon and lugging down because it shifts from second to third at about 1500 rpm. To compensate, I am now regularly forcing the engine to stay in second until the crest of the hill where I remove the shift restriction. The second change following the AEM is substantially poorer fuel economy as displayed by the onboard computer as well as by an actual mathematical calculation. I have not yet gone on an extended road trip at highway and freeway speeds...only around town. My "city" mileage is now down from 16-17 average to 13-14 mpg. Those of you who have had the AEM done received the same documents from FCA as I did. One of the "disclosures" in the documents states, "...The AEM may, under sustained low speed driving (e.g. under 21 mph) with frequent stops, decrease your fuel economy...." That is exactly what I am experiencing. The third change is that the dash DPF regeneration display message appeared (80%) for the first time ever in over 35,000 miles. Ironically, the message displayed approximately 50 miles following the dealer AEM where, according to the dealer service record, the AEM procedure included a force regen. How can I get an 80% message only 50 miles following a forced regen?? The settlement check I am going to get for $3075 will be helpful, but not truly compensate for the lower than claimed mileage my truck gets.
    Your comments about my AEM experience are welcome.
    boocoodinkydow and Podestam like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ecodiesel
    I had my AEM done a couple of weeks ago...definitely notice the lag when first starting off and up inclines. Scared me the first time it happen, I was pulling out onto a highway and it lagged for 2 to 3 seconds before taking off...very dangerous. Also my tow mileage went down 2 mpg. I towed a trailer to Phoenix from Northern California in March and received 14.5 mpg on the trip. Last week after the AEM was installed I pulled the trailer to Fort Bragg, Ca. about a 700 mile trip, received 12.4 mpg. Really disappointed in the performance, If the dealer can't do anything I guess I'll take some of the $3075 and buy the Pedal Commander.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Big Horn ED Crew Cab
    Liked
    6 times
    Update on AEM
    Well truck was good till I went out and it was 56 degrees a day later.......Runs like a dawg. Even when fully warmed up sometimes lag is poor.
    They also reset my oil too 100%, so warning kept flashing on the radio for oil change.
    I will stop by and let them know when I get a chance.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel, 2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
    Liked
    17 times
    So far I have noticed an improvement after extensive driving since the flash. Still a dog from stop until the turbo kick in. About a 3 to 4 sec delay and then wham. Before the update I would burn the tires just tapping the throttle. Fuel mileage was 22 - 23 city & 28 - 33 hwy. City is still close but hwy has dropped about 2mpg. My issue is towing; WTF! I normally average about 14 - 15 mph pulling a 4000lb toy hauler in Texas hill country with a headwind and 17- 19 mpg on the return trip. Stayed mostly in overdrive with exception of steep hill. This past weekend I towed empty (3000lb) and it was horrible! Constantly hunting for 6 - 7th gear, no OD and fuel mileage dropped to 13 mpg both way. 30 gal fuel over 360 miles. I've already sent a nasty gram to FCA...good me to take it back to the dealer. The tech that flashed the truck stated he has seen same problem on all the vehicles.
    Yesterday after researching the available options I pulled the trigger on SKT ECU/TCU flash. From the dyno printouts and reviews I'm thinking this is the easier rout and most economical. $900 for both + I get OBII port PC interconnect.
    I will update with real world reviews as I'm heading out July for a 3000 mile road trip to Sturgis hauling my 2016 Wolf Pup (3000lb empty weight) loaded with my 17 HD Ultra Limited Low. Santa Fe, Durango, Layton UT, Sturgis and back to TX.
    Abilene TX
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel
    2017 HD Ultra Limited Low

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I had the upgrade completed near the end of May and noticed as soon as I pulled out into traffic something was amiss. Normally 20-25% of throttle is more than enough to get out in front of 40mph traffic without any tire spin - just moderate normal acceleration. Once the truck is warmed up it's better, but throttle response is still not what it should be. There have been a couple occasions since where I forgot, pulled out thinking I had plenty of time to get going and the damn thing barely moved above idle for about two seconds before it came to life. Even if you mash the pedal it will take the same amount of time and then you end up with wheel spin before the traction control backs it off. I sent Chrysler an email last night notifying them this is a serious and potentially deadly problem that could cost them as much or more than the original EPA settlement if they didn't fix it pretty quick. BTW, the dealers are useless in addressing the issue. Your best bet is to call the attorneys looking into a possible class action lawsuit - 414.956.1000.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Your best bet is to call the attorneys looking into a possible class action lawsuit - 414.956.1000.
    Minor correction: 415-956-1000

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, recovering after AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I wouldn't do it until you see on the forum that Chrysler has addressed and corrected the issue we are having.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ms14796 View Post
    So far I have noticed an improvement after extensive driving since the flash. Still a dog from stop until the turbo kick in. About a 3 to 4 sec delay and then wham. Before the update I would burn the tires just tapping the throttle. Fuel mileage was 22 - 23 city & 28 - 33 hwy. City is still close but hwy has dropped about 2mpg. My issue is towing; WTF! I normally average about 14 - 15 mph pulling a 4000lb toy hauler in Texas hill country with a headwind and 17- 19 mpg on the return trip. Stayed mostly in overdrive with exception of steep hill. This past weekend I towed empty (3000lb) and it was horrible! Constantly hunting for 6 - 7th gear, no OD and fuel mileage dropped to 13 mpg both way. 30 gal fuel over 360 miles. I've already sent a nasty gram to FCA...good me to take it back to the dealer. The tech that flashed the truck stated he has seen same problem on all the vehicles.
    Yesterday after researching the available options I pulled the trigger on SKT ECU/TCU flash. From the dyno printouts and reviews I'm thinking this is the easier rout and most economical. $900 for both + I get OBII port PC interconnect.
    I will update with real world reviews as I'm heading out July for a 3000 mile road trip to Sturgis hauling my 2016 Wolf Pup (3000lb empty weight) loaded with my 17 HD Ultra Limited Low. Santa Fe, Durango, Layton UT, Sturgis and back to TX.

Have the same problems, but today I ran for 140 miles on flat roads (SC low country) and no wind, both ways. I figured out why my mpg has dropped: the truck NEVER shifted out of 7th gear into 8th. On the return trip, I even went up in speed and then let it coast and still no 8th. gear; and no, I was not pulling anything and did not have the TOW/HAUL selected. It appears that 8th gear is gone. Just jumps between 6-7th. The road is so flat most of the way, and straight that you can see 3-4 miles ahead without any problem. Cruise ctl set at 60 mph. Not good!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    681 times
    No updates for me until some of this stuff gets addressed. I know there are some that are happy with the update and have noticed no changes, but there are far too many negative stories. I'll wait till the end of the 21 month period if necessary.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links