Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune - Page 2

Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune

This is a discussion on Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Howie and Capt I've have the same problem resetting the oil indicator and always have to get the book out. After you press the steering ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED Crew Cab Big Horn
    Liked
    76 times
    Howie and Capt I've have the same problem resetting the oil indicator and always have to get the book out. After you press the steering wheel buttons to reset and ok you have to turn the key on to the run position without starting the motor, and then press the accelerator pedal three time within 10 seconds, and then turn the key off. Turn key back on and evic should show 100% on the oil indicator.
    Kazimodo and Captainmal like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED SLT Qcab
    Liked
    105 times
    FYI. My retune is working as it should now. Looks like the dealership forgot to reinitialize the ecm after performing the eco reflash. I ran through the GDE initialization steps and now the truck runs great. Wish I had thought to try that a few days ago. My truck has been in the garage with the hood up since Sunday. My GDE tuned ecm should be arriving today. Ill install it then get on with my rock hounding trip.
    My next new car will run on hydrogen.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2324 times
    My updates,

1-Oil life is now reset. I did not interpret the reset instructions correctly. First you push and hold > to reset. Then the confirm screen comes up. DO NOT GO DIRECT TO PUSH > TO CONFIRM> YOU MUST FIRST SCROLL THE SCREEN UP OR DOWN TO GET THE OK IN THE CENTER WINDOW THEN PUSH > TO CONFIRM

I am sure a gamer wouldn't have made that mistake.

2-Dealer added a quart and a half of coolant. Claimed they had topped it up but that sometimes they trap air and burp a bit.

3-I did about 90 miles today on a route that I do once a week. Truck ran great and mileage seems about the same but it was a bit windy today so hard to tell for sure. It seems like all the upshifts occur at a higher speed than before and at 55 any throttle pressure or grade drops it to 7th. Truck actually feels peppier due to the later upshifts. It seems it should negatively affect economy. DOn't see it yet but will see how it does over a longer perio5.

4-Startup was at 40 degrees F and start was normal. I have an awkward first mile with several sharp curves and short steep up and down hills. I typically do not go very fast and that trip always caught the transmission in too high a gear and didn't want to shift down. I either had to step on the accelerator a bunch or just a bit and wait for the truck to slow on the uphill and then it would make a downshift. It still did the same thing this morning and I can imagine that characteristic could frustrate people. It doesn't do it when it is warm and it downshifts easily. My SOP is to manually control the gear it is in for the first mile.

It will be interesting to hear impressions on shift points from someone with a 3.92.

All in all the new tune seems OK. I will add any significant different and new impressions here.
    Last edited by howie12; 05-22-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2324 times
    I have another 135 miles and impressions remain the same. Did some different routes and had a better chance to evaluate 7 to 8 shift points and it has definitely risen. When new it could be enticed into 8th as low as 45 but often in 8th at 50 and quite happy. With the oil spec change update I believe the shift points rose some and it had to be enticed to be in 8th at 50 but was nearlyalways there at 55. Now it has to be enticed to get into 8th at 55 and with any load increase it shifts down. FOr me the overall feeling, probably because of the shift points is slightly peppier.

Hard to tell on the cold start issue since summer is finally coming and temps below 60 in the morning are now rare. Fall will tell me more about that issue.

All the best,

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2324 times
    After another 4 weeks and about 800 miles no change in my previous observations and truck actually feels peppier since it stays in lower gears longer on the way up. I have been driving some different routes with it so hard to tell on mileage but I think it is down a tenth or two.

So far I cannot really complain on the tune compared to the previous stock condition of the truck. I really cannot figure out why individual outcomes seem so different, even for those that do not have a GDE tune.
    phprof and Captainmal like this.

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    After another 4 weeks and about 800 miles no change in my previous observations and truck actually feels peppier since it stays in lower gears longer on the way up. I have been driving some different routes with it so hard to tell on mileage but I think it is down a tenth or two.

So far I cannot really complain on the tune compared to the previous stock condition of the truck. I really cannot figure out why individual outcomes seem so different, even for those that do not have a GDE tune.
    Never overlook the obvious = The Human Factor
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    269 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post

Agreed. My first couple days were "wierd". After cold start in the morning (in the 40s and 50s), I would give it 1 - 2 minutes to roll flow and then drop it into drive. I'm easy on the throttle until an engine is warmed up so I'd go down the alleyway to our road easy. Then when pulling out onto the road, I'd give it some throttle. It would started to raise the RPMs for about 1/2 second, then stumble like it was going to stall which lasted for about 1-2 seconds, then it would rev up. The amount of throttle input didn't seem to matter much. After about 4 days of this it just went away and now the throttle input is more "normal". It is warmer out so like you I'll have to assess again when the cold weather returns.

The shift points do appear changed especially on the high end.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve49 View Post
    Howie and Capt I've have the same problem resetting the oil indicator and always have to get the book out. After you press the steering wheel buttons to reset and ok you have to turn the key on to the run position without starting the motor, and then press the accelerator pedal three time within 10 seconds, and then turn the key off. Turn key back on and evic should show 100% on the oil indicator.
    You left out the part where you then step out if the truck and face north, jump twice using only your left foot, then, twirl around twice counter clockwise and you should then be good to go.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2324 times
    I covered some familiar routes for the first time yesterday since the update. It was a route with several short but steep hills withing town limits where the speed limit was low. A couple of these hills were after making a left hand turn from a stop light. Originally the truck would shift up and pretty much roll freely down the hill and significant brake application was necessary. Now it seems to hold second gear and hold back well going down the hill.

After a bit of experimenting it doesn't seem to want to upshift at slower speeds when the accelerator position is at idle and it is clear you do not want to accelerate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links