Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune

This is a discussion on Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Ok Guys and Gals, I dropped my truck off yesterday morning and didn't want or need loaner so the dealer gave me a 40 mile ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2332 times

Ok Guys and Gals,

I dropped my truck off yesterday morning and didn't want or need loaner so the dealer gave me a 40 mile one way ride home. In addition to the emissions recall I have battled P26AB for 2 years or so that came up and got canceled and I wanted the 3way valve replacement before my extended warranty ran out mid June. I also opted to get my last prepurchased oilchange about 1200 miles early to avoid another trip to the dealer soon since I expect to trade the truck when I can order a 2020 this summer and won't put enough miles on it for another change anyhow.

Also, my truck is factory stock with all work, except brakes done at the dealer and no aftermarket tune. It has the 3.55 and stock 20" wheels and a replacement set of SR-A tires. Mileage was 77345 when it was at the dealer.

Dealer called yesterday afternoon and confirmed a 3way valve replacement was ordered. This afternoon they called and said my ride to pick up the truck would be here in about 45 minutes, and it was. Got paid my $100 deductible and signed the paperwork and went to the truck with the dog. Looked at the paperwork and found the following

1-3way valve p26AB warranty repair and replacement noted

2-Prepaid oil and filter change done

3-Recall U53 performed reprogramming ORC module

4-U07 recall performed reprogrammed PCM and TCN @ current level and reprogrammed RFH per recall U07

5-Recall V08 performed. Reprogrammed PCM from 68306456AC to 68308456AH. Perform oil life data exchange. Reprogram TCM from 68234053AC to 68234053AH per recall 08.

If anyone can help decipher the gibberish in item 5 above I would appreciate it. Particularly the oil life data exchange comments.

Anyhow, I started the truck and it sounded and behaved as before. Went to check to see if the oil change screen had been reset. It had not. The dealer had always done this reliably in the past. I tried to reset it and was told I had to do it with the engine off but the ignition on. I tried that and after following the first instruction successfully the next step was 'confirm you want to reset and push>" I pushed > and it wouldn't reset. I started and stopped the truck a few times and tried to reset it but failed. This might be a bug in what was done. Can anyone else that has gotten the new emissions tune confirm whether their oil life reset works? I have to drive by the dealer tomorrow so will stop and ask them too. I did take a sample but have a few other oils to sample and will get them all sent in as one in week or so and will port results then.

I drove home about 35 miles on a road I drive many times a week. Truck accelerated and behaved as it had beforewith a couple exceptions which I will list below. Computer mileage indicator was consistent with what I had seen previously with about 700 ft elevation rise on the way home. The truck never was a drag racer off the line but was as responsive as before. As always it seems to stick in 3rd or 2nd gear too long and can feel doggy at low speeds and that hadn't changed. That said when I floored the throttle it jumped down to low gear and took off like a scared rabbit and I went to 80 mph with the throttle floored and it upshifted at about 4000-4100 rpms on the way up. No difference and it did not come apart.

My 2 cents worth is that those that report no acceleration and no downshifts and no performance either have trucks with other problems, don't recall what the original factory tune was like if they had GDE or have another motive other than honesty and their best attempt at an objective comparison.

So what was different, recognizing that the truck had been driven by the dealer and it wasn't a cold start. Water temp was 115 a bit after startup.

1-On the upshift it stayed in gears 6 and 7 longer than before. This made it feel peppier in the midrange on the highway. It will take more driving and time to confirm this and see if it affects mileage noticeably.

2-Once it got into 8th it seemed to stay there the same as it had before.

3-In my initial departure with a gradual coming up to 55 mph since there was no rush from traffic is seemed like it stayed in all the lower gears longer than before. After a couple miles I pulled off the road and stopped and then started again and it felt the same as previously. I normally start off on hilly and curvey rural roads so we will see what it is like tomorrow morning when I start from home

I have tried to be clear, diligent and objective in what I have written. I am happy to answer any specific questions about the above and, as stated, would appreciate any insight anyone has on the dealer notes for item 5. I will park the minivan for a week or two and drive the truck exclusively and see if my impressions change and what the mileage does. If I notice anything I will post it here.

Now I will pause a moment before I post this so I can put my personal armour on since it seems to me, on first impressions, that the new tune is a non event. My impressions could change and if so I will report them here.

All the best and enjoy your 3 grand and a few beers plus the added warranty!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 eco outdoorsman, 82D150 custom
    Liked
    196 times
    I got mine back today. Although mine went a step further then just a reflash. My computer shot craps on the programming and had to be replaced. Much like your truck oil life was at 0% and didn't want to reset right away. But did notice a little rougher idle at startup but smoothed out. Throttle response pretty much the same. But I like you roll into the throttle instead of treating it like I just saw a spider. Shifts where smooth. The only thing different was on starting the shutters closed and stayed that way for a while before reopening. Unlike before where they shut then reopen. All temperaturesales where the same but tomorrow is the test. Drive 90 miles round trip to work. Then go pick up camper. That's the real test.
    howie12 likes this.
    Ecodisel, drinks Satin's bathwater and emits angel's tears.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    5-Recall V08 performed. Reprogrammed PCM from 68306456AC to 68308456AH. Perform oil life data exchange. Reprogram TCM from 68234053AC to 68234053AH per recall 08.

If anyone can help decipher the gibberish in item 5 above I would appreciate it. Particularly the oil life data exchange comments.
    I know the "Reprogrammed PCM from 68306456AC to 68308456AH" is the part# change of the programming(yes the programming has a part#) for the PCM, same goes for the TCM (which is your Transmission controller).
    I can check with my neighbor but I think the oil life data exchange refers to maintaining your current oil life percentage when they do they flash the PCM.
    markcfoster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    I know the "Reprogrammed PCM from 68306456AC to 68308456AH" is the part# change of the programming(yes the programming has a part#) for the PCM, same goes for the TCM (which is your Transmission controller).
    I can check with my neighbor but I think the oil life data exchange refers to maintaining your current oil life percentage when they do they flash the PCM.
    I can confirm that it had the same 12% oil life remaining when I got it back. Unfortunately I could not reset it and I expect the garage couldn't either since they have always rest it in the past. I'll see what it is like tomorrow after it has a cold but good night's sleep outside. Thanks for the info Crash, its always useful.
    Crash68 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Ok Guys and Gals,
    3-Recall U53 performed reprogramming ORC module
    4-U07 recall performed reprogrammed PCM and TCN @ current level and reprogrammed RFH per recall U07

If anyone can help decipher the gibberish in item 5 above I would appreciate it.

...!
    look at number on module , did you look if you had a new different sticker on the ECM
    behind the Air filter box . when trucks are new they only have the sticker saying BOSCH on them .
    those long numbers are the version of tune in ECM/BCM , and in TCM ,
    6823XXXX XX on the image sticker here , was applied to the ECM , looks by your description
    that it is the software in the TCM that starts with 6823 .
    Does it make sense ???
    =====================
    For oil life , when you press to confirm , some reported they had to press twice .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune-i-one-i-purchased.jpg   Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune-rocketchip-picture-1.jpg   Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune-kijiji.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    look at number on module , did you look if you had a new different sticker on the ECM
    behind the Air filter box . when trucks are new they only have the sticker saying BOSCH on them .
    those long numbers are the version of tune in ECM/BCM , and in TCM ,
    6823XXXX XX on the image sticker here , was applied to the ECM , looks by your description
    that it is the software in the TCM that starts with 6823 .
    Does it make sense ???
    =====================
    For oil life , when you press to confirm , some reported they had to press twice .
    Yes, there is a new clean sticker over the original sticker with the Bosch on it.

Ref the oil life reset the instructions on the screen say hold > to reset. I do that and then the screen says push > to confirm. I push it once and it jumps back to the original percentage. The second screen also gives a pictogram to show you can push up or down to cancel the reset. I tried pushing it twice quickly and that makes it jump to the next screen which is voltage so noting works.

Back in 2014 on my first oilchange they did not reset it and to the best of my recollection it was easy and I just hit the > once. I think I even did it while driving so it seems to me somewhere along the line they changed the programming on the reset. That makes sense to me since I can imagine there were accidental resets happening.

I also noticed the coolant is quite low. I suspect they lost some when they changed the 3way valve and forgot to top it up. Anybody who has done this please post a comment on how much you might lose when doing this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1251 times
    suppose to lose minimal , like 1 cup , if the proper hose pinchers are used ,and , if they work correctly ,
    good thread on 3 way valve replacement , gets interesting around post # 50
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post836570
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Howie12's initial views on the emissions tune-hose-pincher.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6490 times
    Do remember that you can't have the engine running to re-set the oil life. Make that same mistake literally every time I change oil. Slow learner or worse as i keep doing it.

Lots of stickers on that ECM. Later this Summer is when I will probably get that tune. Not happy to deal with removing the water from the DEF tank and adding DEF. Then I will have to get the darn thing home, park and remove the ECM to send to GDE for another exchange. Luckily I have another car and motorcycles to use if I need to go anywhere.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    .... Then I will have to get the darn thing home, park and remove the ECM to send to GDE for another exchange. Luckily I have another car and motorcycles to use if I need to go anywhere.
    You seem to be organized Captain , once you have the date for your planned AEM , just get GDE to send you the Updated Tune in a different module
    to arrive a couple of days before the date of the AEM , when you get back home , switch , and send back present module for GDE to refund the core
    charge , you have 21 days before the value drops , usually you will see the charge on your credit card and the refund also ,
    all that activity before the credit card bill is even sent to you .
    bottom left here .:
    https://www.greendieselengineering.c...te/2_46.action

Emptying DEF tank ,
    -drive truck on a couple of stacked pieces of wood , under each wheel , for belly clearance.
    -slide under with drill and drill pump ,
    -remove tube as in video , I did it on my 2015 , easy , even with tank full , there was no DEF coming out
    I was on level ground .
    stick tube in hole and search for water to remove by moving tube around
    hole is near the back of tank , I guess you could arrange for the front of the truck to be higher
    so that your water would be and the backof the tank to get it all out .

link to pump :https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...3-HD/204667248

and video :
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 05-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 eco outdoorsman, 82D150 custom
    Liked
    196 times
    Well sounds like you're truck is going smoothere then mine now is. I went to go to work this morning and start was normal but end was horrible. It ran great till the highway then no cruise, and 2 miles later bong check engine light. Well SCR system is now bad and has to be replaced. Already usin that new Warranty.
    Ecodisel, drinks Satin's bathwater and emits angel's tears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links