For those who almost get in an accident

This is a discussion on For those who almost get in an accident within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; I'm seeing some posts about almost getting hit when pulling into traffic or getting T-boned at intersections, or having difficulty merging after the AEM. All ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: For those who almost get in an accident

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4580 times

I'm seeing some posts about almost getting hit when pulling into traffic or getting T-boned at intersections, or having difficulty merging after the AEM. All I can say after laughing a little is are you really serious? If so, I'm going to suggest a little practice driving before driving on public roads.

I don't think it's fair to share the road with other drivers under these circumstances. It's not fair to jeopardize the safety of others if you need to relearn driving skills. I'm thinking it might be as simple as anticipating your actions and pressing the accelerator pedal a little further downward. If that doesn't work perhaps a little practice driving one of the following vehicles:

Ford Fiesta 1.0L. ...
    Toyota Yaris. ...
    Toyota Prius. ...
    Chevrolet Spark. ...
    Smart Fortwo. ...
    Toyota Prius C. Here's another Prius on the list. ...
    Mitsubishi Mirage G4S

After just a few miles in one of the above referenced vehicles you will think your Ram (with the Approved Emissions Modification) is a rocket ship.
    howie12, MAS, rogermabry and 6 others like this.

Lou
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel
    Liked
    127 times
    I hear many of these talking about stomping on the pedal, all the way to the mat.
    I know that my pure stock runs and pulls stronger if I DO NOT MAT it, if I roll into the throttle,
    then backoff as I get to 3000 rpm and roll into again and repeat the truck will accelerate well.
    It's not an high rpm horsepower making motor, it is a torque producing one in the mid range,
    1500 to 2500 rpm.
    So bring it up to 3000 back out to shift back into to run up again back off to shift, it sure as heck is not a damned race truck.
    97hmcs and phprof like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Crew Cab 4x4
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    I'm seeing some posts about almost getting hit when pulling into traffic or getting T-boned at intersections, or having difficulty merging after the AEM. All I can say after laughing a little is are you really serious? If so, I'm going to suggest a little practice driving before driving on public roads.

I don't think it's fair to share the road with other drivers under these circumstances. It's not fair to jeopardize the safety of others if you need to relearn driving skills. I'm thinking it might be as simple as anticipating your actions and pressing the accelerator pedal a little further downward. If that doesn't work perhaps a little practice driving one of the following vehicles:

Ford Fiesta 1.0L. ...
    Toyota Yaris. ...
    Toyota Prius. ...
    Chevrolet Spark. ...
    Smart Fortwo. ...
    Mitsubishi Mirage G4S

After just a few miles in one of the above referenced vehicles you will think your Ram (with the Approved Emissions Modification) is a rocket ship.
    I just traded in my Spark...and let me tell you...there is nothing slower off the line than that 1.2l....lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2377 times
    I put a hundred thousand miles on my 1980 Dodge D150 regular cab 8'box plain Jane 2 wd truck with an AM radio, air conditioning and an upgrade from the 3 speed on the tree to a four speed manual and a second fuel tank. The four speed was like a 3 on the tree with third as direct and 4th was an overdrive. The engine was a single barrel 105 hp 225 cu in Slant six. I never got into a crash with it. I towed 2 vehicles from Bakersfield in California to Wisconsin with it. Both on their wheels. ONe was a Dodge Dart and one was a 1958 Power wagon. DIdn't get to use fourth at all when towing and starting on a hill was a bit of a problem but the clutch was pretty tough. I went up the Grapevine with it numerous times and learned it wasn't good to do so with both fuel tanks full since if you had to shift out of third into second you were stuck grinding up the hill at 40 or so with the engine spinning pretty fast. I will say that low powered vehicles relative to their load make you drive much more attentively.

All the best,
    97hmcs, phprof and MAS like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post

Ford Fiesta 1.0L. ...
    Toyota Yaris. ...
    Toyota Prius. ...
    Chevrolet Spark. ...
    Smart Fortwo. ...
    Mitsubishi Mirage G4S

Decided to wait until the German Enigma Machine code is cracked by the Green Team so have delayed the AEM however, after reading all the horrifying pedal post seems my truck is now another dog

Perhaps 'AEM forum placebo effect'? Seems to be creeping up like the other 'Bump In The Road - Lost a Bearing placebo' effect too...
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1080 times
    How about waiting for a slightly larger gap in traffic...
    97hmcs, howie12, phprof and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4580 times
    Babydiezel, Let me be clear. I am not questioning other people concerning any difference after the AEM. I'm simply poking fun at those who say they almost got in an accident because of it. It's all in fun and hope you understand. Please don't be annoyed. You didn't have to delete your post. I have thick skin.

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Add a 63 Chevy II 192 1bbl carb with a faulty anti-stall dashpot to your list.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Ram 1500 ED Crew 4x4 6.4
    Liked
    64 times
    I owned a 72 Peugeot 504 Diesel early on in my life. A Non-turbo diesel with a 3 speed auto that made 54 HP in a 3000 lb car. You couldn't even pull out on an uphill incline, let alone merge.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RansomT View Post
    I owned a 72 Peugeot 504 Diesel early on in my life. A Non-turbo diesel with a 3 speed auto that made 54 HP in a 3000 lb car. You couldn't even pull out on an uphill incline, let alone merge.
    I think you will win the prize in the gutless wonder category. At least the Bug and the Renault Dauphine were light weight so their meager hp has less to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links