AEM After GDE - Page 2

AEM After GDE

This is a discussion on AEM After GDE within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Test AEM throttle response for hesitation after a cold start with temperatures below 30 F....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: AEM After GDE

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED CCSB Bighorn 4x4
    Liked
    77 times
    Test AEM throttle response for hesitation after a cold start with temperatures below 30 F.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1516 times
    Might take years to test that in florida.
    Kazimodo, Captainmal and Blanchman like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6670 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mw243 View Post
    Test AEM throttle response for hesitation after a cold start with temperatures below 30 F.
    Just got in from a motorcycle ride. Actually one of the cooler days the past month or so. 96 degrees in the shade. Most days it's above that at times. Have not had any rain of any consequence since maybe last November. Literally nothing since maybe early April when there was a shower for an hour. Do not think I saw any frost this winter but possible I missed it some morning. Do not want to see 30*F outside around here. Ever. Orange trees would be a mess as well as other plants.

I will NOT be doing any update on operation without the GDE. I got my truck home and will not even start it until the GDE gets here and I put it in. No way will I operate my motor with a working EGR system trashing it each turn of the crankshaft. Now I will just run out the DEF in my tank and get it filled with water soon as I can.

Would be working on all that right now but the tracking I got from GDE for their UPS shipment shows a problem. Seems it got to Tampa and was somehow misdirected to Orlando where it is ??? Things read "Delay". I will not delay upon arrival. Never run your Ecodiesel without getting that EGR off...GDE, delete or whatever.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Eco diesal Big Horn
    Liked
    4 times
    Oh Captain, you had me laughing. In fact I had to read your post to my wife as she said this is you. I haven’t responded since getting my issue hopefully finally resolved. After a few on going CEL lights and the infamous P0245 code. After replacing my EGR actuator valve the code came back. As I stated previously back in it went and EGR cooler was replaced. Asked what the issue with the cooler and was told a leak was detected. I never saw any drop in coolant and condition of coolant was clean. My suspicion is that EGR cooler and swirl valves were clogged with soot. This was evidenced when I had taken defuser tube out and cleaned. What I saw with soot build up was not pretty. Long story short my GDE Tune arrives Friday. I can’t wait. My reluctance to drive truck is mirrors your thoughts as I certainly want to keep this new EGR soot free. I guess it won’t matter after Friday.

And by the way received notification from FCA that settlement Ck. To be sent within 6 weeks.
    Last edited by oa[email protected]; 06-05-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    excuse me for my complete ignorance here... not a car/truck guy per se. I had my emmisions update done on my 2015 eco, after driving approx 200 mile the update actually updated.
    I went from 18 mpg city to 16 mpg...Im not happy, anyone else?
    when i get back vacation this thing is outa here.

thanks
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabitz View Post
    excuse me for my complete ignorance here... not a car/truck guy per se. I had my emmisions update done on my 2015 eco, after driving approx 200 mile the update actually updated.
    I went from 18 mpg city to 16 mpg...Im not happy, anyone else?
    when i get back vacation this thing is outa here.

thanks
    I believe at 18mpg (US) you had a preexisting condition. For that mileage you may as well be driving a gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Agreed, One would think that the service would catch that, I spose Ill take it back in and have them look at it

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6670 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabitz View Post
    Agreed, One would think that the service would catch that, I spose Ill take it back in and have them look at it
    Agree. That fuel mileage is horrible. Something must be wrong.

Today, after a delay by UPS, the GDE tune came at 7 PM. By 7:45, after losing a little blood replacing the darn airbox, all was back together with GDE. Went through the set-up. Did note the amount of DEF was showing higher than before even after the proper procedure. No matter as I will fill with water tomorrow. Did the rest of the procedure and went out for the regeneration test. WOW. It took a long, long ride watching the % screen on the EVIC and comparing that to the CAT temperatures shown on my gauge. Kept running 1,250-1,300*F in that DPF for a maybe 15 minutes. Quite a surprise it took so long. as I locked the thing in 6th gear doing over 2,000 rpm the whole time on a rural road. Even did a fast "U" turn after a while so it would finish on the return. Just drop the gears down to 1 and keep the rpm's over 1,500 until the regeneration ends.

It did. I did. Checked the cruise at about 16 mph and all was well. Made no attempt to do any testing. Just assume it will run like it always did. Home was a cold beer and re-boxing of the old ECM. That will go out to GDE in the morning. All is well with the world.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #

Don't Understand..

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Listen to me. I will not BS you on this one.

Had my dealer do the AEM today. Set a fuel trip for the 25+ miles to the dealer this morning. Just over 28 mpg with GDE. Took note of any hesitation and power by accelerating briskly from both stops and slower speeds, like in a traffic merge. Wanted that fresh in my experience. Wife was with me and thought I was nuts. That's what she thinks all the time.

Dealership took the truck and set me up with a rental Jeep Cherokee. Also looked at the new Wrangler trucks. Kind of tiny inside both cab and bed. MSRP was exactly $60,000 on one. Silly. We talked about that and this stop/start mess on this rental Cherokee all the way to a local Tractor Supply. Shopped, had fun and headed home. Never made it. They were done doing that AEM and another recall in just a couple hours. Turned around and went back for my truck. Free rental adventure was included.

Wife wanted lunch. Figures. I was afraid the truck would not run at all since the DEF sensors and tank have not had DEF and been operable in something like 4 years. Same can be said for the EGR. I could not get on the highway but had to go to a restaurant with lots of idling and sitting. I am aggravated as I expect total breakdown any moment without GDE.

Nothing.

Finally out of that damnable restaurant and heading home. NO HESITATION that I can induce. Set the "B" fuel mileage indicator and watched. Expected to see a mess. Still in the city I saw initial fuel ratings in the first couple miles over 30 mpg. Slammed the throttle from stop. Darn thing took off. Tried a merge onto Interstate 75 to get in front of a truck. 85 mph with nothing I could feel different than when I had GDE just a couple hours earlier. Wife bitching at my speed on I 75. Did go over 90 mph as a passing test from about 75 mph. No issues. Later pulled out in front of an oncoming truck ( small one) at a stop sign. Wanted a "death test" of any hesitation. Zero to maybe 75 mph just like normal. Got yelled at, just like normal.

Truck is now parked in the garage. Never saw any CEL's. GDE has a shipping confirmation that shows I will get their new programmed ECM tomorrow. Great service as usual from them.

Years ago I was often criticized for describing my early impressions of GDE. I spoke of experiencing little to no power change, operation change and just a slight improvement in fuel mileage. Well my return today, with all that acceleration and speed, showed 26.5 mpg on the EVIC. Just over 28 mpg going in with GDE this morning at lesser speeds with fewer bunzi acceleration testing. I know the EGR is sooting up my engine. I know the DEF sensors are working as I put fresh DEF in the tank after draining four years of water from the tank. I KNOW there was very little change pre and post GDE. The darn thing works well after the AEM. Just not going to find out for how long. GDE goes in tomorrow if it arrives.

Oh. GDE told me the new AEM program would make my transmission shift a lot while towing. Wish it would shift when not towing today. Mine wanted to cruise along at rpm's as low as 1,200 at about 50 mph and NOT shift into 7th. That is too low for me to be comfortable running this motor. I hope I can be aware of that issue and manually downshift unless the adaptive transmission feature does some shifting. I do think running that low an rpm, lugging it in my book, is bad for these motors. Gonna watch that when I next run with GDE.

Another "OH". You get a three-page packet of information on the warranty added to your vehicle. I was shocked to see included on my truck, with way over 100,000 miles, a warranty for the cylinder head, valves, cam bearing caps, thermostat, turbo, all sensors, all DEF and DPF parts, the EGR system, fuel rails, injectors and more. Wife read all that and said I better keep it. Crazy thing is FCA is going to actually PAY ME for all these benefits. Pay me????

I should be paying them.
    Why would a previous owner get Full amount and I as the person that has owned my 2014 EcoDiesel 1500 the longest (4 of it's 5 years of age) get a smaller portion. Just don't understand that. In the first place they haven't gone through the headaches I've had with Dealerships trying to get it fixed correct. RAM dealership 6 times in an 18 month period for CEL and complete failure of electronic steering (supposedly had to replace steering completely). Anyway, not sure the previous owner that barely got it to 25,000 should have got anything. My incident after the AEM was they forgot to reset the Oil Change after flashing the system so next day was warned on instrument panel I needed to get oil changed as was 0% life. Reality, 49% when taken in. Dealer fixed that quickly after returning it. After AEM no take off power like before. Could easily chirp tires, now would be afraid to pull out in front of anyone closer than 2 football fields away. Seems like turbo takes a bit to kick in unlike before AEM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ecodiesel 4x4 laramie
    Liked
    5 times

good stuff

Watching and reading with great anticipation.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links