AEM After GDE - Page 3

AEM After GDE

This is a discussion on AEM After GDE within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Originally Posted by infotekkie Why would a previous owner get Full amount and I as the person that has owned my 2014 EcoDiesel 1500 the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: AEM After GDE

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by infotekkie View Post
    Why would a previous owner get Full amount and I as the person that has owned my 2014 EcoDiesel 1500 the longest (4 of it's 5 years of age) get a smaller portion. Just don't understand that. In the first place they haven't gone through the headaches I've had with Dealerships trying to get it fixed correct. RAM dealership 6 times in an 18 month period for CEL and complete failure of electronic steering (supposedly had to replace steering completely). Anyway, not sure the previous owner that barely got it to 25,000 should have got anything. My incident after the AEM was they forgot to reset the Oil Change after flashing the system so next day was warned on instrument panel I needed to get oil changed as was 0% life. Reality, 49% when taken in. Dealer fixed that quickly after returning it. After AEM no take off power like before. Could easily chirp tires, now would be afraid to pull out in front of anyone closer than 2 football fields away. Seems like turbo takes a bit to kick in unlike before AEM.
    Never really studied out the AEM qualifications on that issue of compensation. Frankly, I really don't understand why we get any compensation as my truck did nothing to damage the environment and has treated me more than right. Said it often that I probably should have PAID for the experience. Look around on this topic right here to find the link that shows who is qualified for what. As for why it is that way, ask both the EPA and FCA. Sorry I cannot look into their thinking.

An informed owner simply stops the engine, turns the key on, finds the oil life page on the EVIC and then re-sets it to Zero. Then you look into your records of when you last changed the oil. Surely you and everyone keeps records in your owners' manual. Now doing simple math, you can figure out at what mileage you want to change the oil. Write that down or just remember. It does not have to be exact and 10K past the change should not be hard to remember. I did that last night after re-installing my GDE.

In the history of motorized travel for individuals, now over 120 years of it, owners had no computer until recently to do the simple things like that. Try not to rely on a computer to do basic needs. It would be a sad situation if man really needed a computer to live today after man has lived for thousands of years without one.

Good luck owning and operating your truck with success. The more you learn the better you can enjoy a positive Ecodiesel experience.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Crew Cab 4x4
    Liked
    11 times
    Why would a previous owner get Full amount and I as the person that has owned my 2014 EcoDiesel 1500 the longest (4 of it's 5 years of age) get a smaller portion. Just don't understand that. In the first place they haven't gone through the headaches I've had with Dealerships trying to get it fixed correct. RAM dealership 6 times in an 18 month period for CEL and complete failure of electronic steering (supposedly had to replace steering completely). Anyway, not sure the previous owner that barely got it to 25,000 should have got anything. My incident after the AEM was they forgot to reset the Oil Change after flashing the system so next day was warned on instrument panel I needed to get oil changed as was 0% life. Reality, 49% when taken in. Dealer fixed that quickly after returning it. After AEM no take off power like before. Could easily chirp tires, now would be afraid to pull out in front of anyone closer than 2 football fields away. Seems like turbo takes a bit to kick in unlike before AEM.
    Hey, The previous (original Owner) only gets something like $975, as the current owner, you should be getting something like $2095....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram BigHorn (Steel)
    Liked
    25 times
    Yea, its even easier than that. Todays oils are amazing, really amazing. Just regular old oil is light years advanced from just 5 years ago.

If you are using Synthetics, which of course our ED are, its even better. And, its really simple.

Unless you are towing, just change the oil at 10K. Very easy to remember. These synthetics last even longer than that, but its good to err on the side of precaution.

If you are particularly an oil junky, change the oil every 5K, sorta like in the old days. That should be good. Synthetics are getting cheaper by the month.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yep...my truck (after update) cant get out of its own way from a dead stop...especially when the motor is not quite up to temp, I mean its bad, real bad. When I reach temp it runs great but 16 miles a gal around town aint gonna cut it!
    Dropped my truck off at the dealers yesterday morning, I just got off the phone with my service writer,he says..'' they could get the truck to duplicate the problem and everything checks out normal''
    I call BS on this. as I said, when I get back from vacation this truck is outa here. It has served me well over the years with ZERO problems until this update. Only 45000 miles on it. What a shame....or sham

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    I had the AME update done at the dealer about three weeks ago on my 2016, truck. The mpg went from about 27 mpg on the highway to less than 25 mpg on the hwy. The trans shifts at a higher rpms, 2500 -3000 rpm, from a stop to take off. The truck drives HORRBLY if I didn't need the $3078.00, that ram is offering as part of the settlement I would have NEVER have got the new recall done on my truck.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome powell View Post
    I had the AME update done at the dealer about three weeks ago on my 2016, truck. The mpg went from about 27 mpg on the highway to less than 25 mpg on the hwy. The trans shifts at a higher rpms, 2500 -3000 rpm, from a stop to take off. The truck drives HORRBLY if I didn't need the $3078.00, that ram is offering as part of the settlement I would have NEVER have got the new recall done on my truck.

Same here, My dealer told me that California residents will need proof of the update prior to registering the truck, they gave me a little 3x6 card that shows proof of this and will need to be presented to the DMV at time of regeneration in 2020. My buddy has the same truck as me ...2015... he says he received no such card from his dealer.
    On a side note, my registration is due this month, I took my truck to the smog shop after the AME (and failed not once but twice) I was told to drive the truck for about 200 miles for the update to take actually update.
    I did so and it passed, buuuut there where 2 parts of the smog test that did not pass, apparently there is some leniency in calif that allowed the truck to pass and be registered.
    This whole thing is going to get uglier in a very short time. mark my words .

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Just an idea, turn off the traction control , see if that makes a difference.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    6 times
    Captain,

Thanks for posting this info. So I assume you kept your original ECM but did not put it back in prior to getting the update from the dealer? Instead you let the the dealer over-write your GDE tuned unit and sent the original unit to GDE? That's cool if you did it that way - make me wonder why I didn't think of that - only involves one swap instead of 2.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1185 times
    Easier than that Lifeson , if you ever purchased something at Lowes for exemple , put it on your credit card ,
    then return the item to Lowes for refund , when you get your credit card statement , you see the purchase in
    the list = XX, then same XX amount with " minus XX" , you do the same with GDE , knowing "when ", your credit card bill comes in every month ,
    you just have to time your actions right , contact GDE , have them send in a newly tuned Module to you around
    same date or day before your visit to the dealer for reflash , go back home , switch back to tuned ECM , send back the ECM
    on which the dealer erased your tune within 21 days for refund on credit card , No down time ....

explained bottom left of GDE site page :https://www.greendieselengineering.c...te/2_46.action

when in Canada , to avoid the border crossing of packages back-and-forth ,
    (( as someone once explained they got a phone call ,asking why they had a package cross to U.S.A. ,
    then cross back into Canada , by mysterious caller )) ,
    (( he was wise and said he had an electronics part fixed in U.S.A. for a lot less money that he was quoted in Canada , mysterious caller was satisfied )).
    it's aesier to do the double swap , GDE uses UPS for shipping , +/- $ 35.00 US for one way shipping
    then add $ 26.00 CDN for brokerage fee from UPS , it adds up .
    GDE's $ 50 for reflash turns into $ 175.00 for us in Canada .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel
    Liked
    2 times
    Not in the U.S. but. I had the AEM done. I didn't notice any degraded fuel economy. I did notice the throttle was much touchier. I just recently. (On Tuesday) drove across the border with my boy and had the fellas at GDE flash my 2015, and do the transmission.

On my way home the next day...I got 28.4 MPG. Which is 8.3L /100km. I had previously been no better than. 9.4L/100km.

Full disclosure, I have Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires. As soon as I had those installed I could not get better than 9.4. with the stock tires I could hit 8.8 on the highway...just like it's rated for.

I run a little ODBII dongle paired to a small tablet running ODB Fusion that sits on the pullout tray . Before the AEM I would watch the soot buildup readings climb incrementally, once it hit about 75 %, the reading would jump up to 100, so I knew it was doing the regen and would be at about 8 after the Regen. After the AEM I watched the reading go all over the place. The soot readings would go up and down! All over. when I set out to go see Gde...with the guage showing 100 (so should be doing a regen) I drove over 200 miles....and no Regen. The reading stayed at 100.

When updating my truck Matt said my dealer had only done half the flash! Unfortunately....with my dealer, that did not surprise me.
    Kazimodo and Captainmal like this.
    M.A.R.Z. Farm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links