AEM After GDE - Page 4

AEM After GDE

This is a discussion on AEM After GDE within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; marz , maybe your monitoring system seems to work like the Torque Pro App ,,, if your regen is aborted before being complete , the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: AEM After GDE

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1185 times
    marz , maybe your monitoring system seems to work like the Torque Pro App ,,,
    if your regen is aborted before being complete , the Torque Pro App will keep showing 100% on soot ,
    only after a completed regen will you see 9% , and then % climb again , since you wrote that you got the GDE tune ,
    you will wait a long time for the next regen , it takes +/- 7 times longer than stock tune for regen to start ,
    then add more time to go to 80% instead of 66% as in stock tune
    that conclusion comes from the fact that , like the Torque Pro App , you monitor shows you 100% of needed soot for regen to start ,
    on a Edge monitor you see it go to 66% on stock tune , or 80% with GDE tune .

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6375 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeson View Post
    Captain,

Thanks for posting this info. So I assume you kept your original ECM but did not put it back in prior to getting the update from the dealer? Instead you let the the dealer over-write your GDE tuned unit and sent the original unit to GDE? That's cool if you did it that way - make me wonder why I didn't think of that - only involves one swap instead of 2.
    NO. I never kept my original ECM. Man that would be a waste of something like $700 dollars. To me that's a lot of money to just sit useless. Of course, you could try and sell the darn thing.

I returned my original ECM for a refund years ago. The dealer flashed over my GDE unit. Interesting but I had written "GDE" in red marker on that unit. I ordered and paid for the new unit before having the AEM done. Unfortunately UPS (Brown is down) created a delay in delivery as they punted the thing from Tampa to Orlando and back. They did alert me to the "OOPS". That delay meant that I did not have it to put in for a couple days after the AEM. I just let the truck sit in the garage and refused to use it.

After installing the new GDE-tuned ECM, I put the old one ( hope they clean off that red "GDE" on the side) in their box and took it to the post office. Got a tracking and guess it got to their place yesterday. Now they will credit my Pal Pal account I think something like $650. My total expense would then be less than $100 with shipping. Also guessing the program they put in this new GDE unit is the latest and greatest as my old one was near 4 years old. Soon as I can tow something out of Florida and get on a downhill I will activate the turbo brake and see at what rpm is activates. Used to be 2,600 and I think the new ones are something like 2,200 rpm.

Always something to look forward to if you look.

Post office tried to deliver but GDE probably was not open Saturday. Only took 2 days to try that delivery and $11.95 for the postage. Way cheaper and faster than UPS. Guessing they will try again tomorrow, Monday, when GDE will most likely be open.
    Last edited by Captainmal; 06-09-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel
    Liked
    2 times
    Kazimodo

Yeah, I guess what I was trying to point out in a long winded sort of way. Was after the AEM update. The readings while driving normally would build up, and go down....without doing a regen. Completely weird, and messed up. I was so happy when I go the tune in Tuesday. I don't have to worry now.
    M.A.R.Z. Farm

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Years ago I was often criticized for describing my early impressions of GDE. I spoke of experiencing little to no power change, operation change and just a slight improvement in fuel mileage. Well my return today, with all that acceleration and speed, showed 26.5 mpg on the EVIC. Just over 28 mpg going in with GDE this morning at lesser speeds with fewer bunzi acceleration testing. I know the EGR is sooting up my engine. I know the DEF sensors are working as I put fresh DEF in the tank after draining four years of water from the tank. I KNOW there was very little change pre and post GDE. The darn thing works well after the AEM. Just not going to find out for how long. GDE goes in tomorrow if it arrives.
    I remember your post on the initial impression of GDE, and you're right, lots of GDE fan boys criticized what you wrote. I do think GDE has a good product, but just because they do doesn't mean they're perfect or exempt from any and all criticism. At that time you also mentioned they sent you the ECM with no instructions. No instructions doesn't bother me, but one would think they could at least include a card or something pointing to a link to the instructions. When my tuned ECM arrived last fall I went to their website and found the instructions not so easy to find, which was annoying. Also if not for this forum I would not have known that DEF is no longer used after the tune - don't think I ever got any info from GDE on that.

I got the AEM today, and I can't feel a significant difference between it and the way it was before the update. If anything, I think it may be just slightly more responsive off the line that it was prior to the update. In my case I had kept the original ECM, so I had put it back before taking the truck to the dealer. I can tell the difference when the GDE tuned ECM is in place - mainly throttle response when starting from a complete stop. I have not put the GDE tuned unit back in yet, and I may not get to it until the weekend.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    NO. I never kept my original ECM. Man that would be a waste of something like $700 dollars. To me that's a lot of money to just sit useless. Of course, you could try and sell the darn thing.

After installing the new GDE-tuned ECM, I put the old one ( hope they clean off that red "GDE" on the side) in their box and took it to the post office. Got a tracking and guess it got to their place yesterday. Now they will credit my Pal Pal account I think something like $650. My total expense would then be less than $100 with shipping.
    GDE sent you a second tuned ECM to trade for the first one so that you would not have to send the flashed one to them (and be stuck with no ECM in the truck for a few days)? If that's true, that's a great deal. The reason I kept the original ECM was so that I could tolerate any flash from a dealer and then put the GDE one back in, i.e not wait for round trip shipping to GDE and back of my only ECM.
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Easier than that Lifeson , if you ever purchased something at Lowes for exemple , put it on your credit card ,
    then return the item to Lowes for refund , when you get your credit card statement , you see the purchase in
    the list = XX, then same XX amount with " minus XX" , you do the same with GDE , knowing "when ", your credit card bill comes in every month ,
    you just have to time your actions right , contact GDE , have them send in a newly tuned Module to you around
    same date or day before your visit to the dealer for reflash , go back home , switch back to tuned ECM , send back the ECM
    on which the dealer erased your tune within 21 days for refund on credit card , No down time ....

explained bottom left of GDE site page :https://www.greendieselengineering.c...te/2_46.action

when in Canada , to avoid the border crossing of packages back-and-forth ,
    (( as someone once explained they got a phone call ,asking why they had a package cross to U.S.A. ,
    then cross back into Canada , by mysterious caller )) ,
    (( he was wise and said he had an electronics part fixed in U.S.A. for a lot less money that he was quoted in Canada , mysterious caller was satisfied )).
    it's aesier to do the double swap , GDE uses UPS for shipping , +/- $ 35.00 US for one way shipping
    then add $ 26.00 CDN for brokerage fee from UPS , it adds up .
    GDE's $ 50 for reflash turns into $ 175.00 for us in Canada .
    Wow, somehow I missed this reply earlier. So GDE is willing to trade a newly tuned ECM for one that has been overwritten and only charge $50 if the end-user picks up shipping costs. Cool - I always thought the over-written ECM had to be sent in and updated for 50 bucks. I kept my original ECM and have no regrets. Caught a good sale on the GDE tune last fall, and the same percent off applied to the full price without sending back the original ECM, I now have an updated "paper weight" that is fully emissions compliant, and I can deploy it if/when I ever need to.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links