AEM After GDE

AEM After GDE

This is a discussion on AEM After GDE within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Listen to me. I will not BS you on this one. Had my dealer do the AEM today. Set a fuel trip for the 25+ ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: AEM After GDE

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6375 times

AEM After GDE

Listen to me. I will not BS you on this one.

Had my dealer do the AEM today. Set a fuel trip for the 25+ miles to the dealer this morning. Just over 28 mpg with GDE. Took note of any hesitation and power by accelerating briskly from both stops and slower speeds, like in a traffic merge. Wanted that fresh in my experience. Wife was with me and thought I was nuts. That's what she thinks all the time.

Dealership took the truck and set me up with a rental Jeep Cherokee. Also looked at the new Wrangler trucks. Kind of tiny inside both cab and bed. MSRP was exactly $60,000 on one. Silly. We talked about that and this stop/start mess on this rental Cherokee all the way to a local Tractor Supply. Shopped, had fun and headed home. Never made it. They were done doing that AEM and another recall in just a couple hours. Turned around and went back for my truck. Free rental adventure was included.

Wife wanted lunch. Figures. I was afraid the truck would not run at all since the DEF sensors and tank have not had DEF and been operable in something like 4 years. Same can be said for the EGR. I could not get on the highway but had to go to a restaurant with lots of idling and sitting. I am aggravated as I expect total breakdown any moment without GDE.

Nothing.

Finally out of that damnable restaurant and heading home. NO HESITATION that I can induce. Set the "B" fuel mileage indicator and watched. Expected to see a mess. Still in the city I saw initial fuel ratings in the first couple miles over 30 mpg. Slammed the throttle from stop. Darn thing took off. Tried a merge onto Interstate 75 to get in front of a truck. 85 mph with nothing I could feel different than when I had GDE just a couple hours earlier. Wife bitching at my speed on I 75. Did go over 90 mph as a passing test from about 75 mph. No issues. Later pulled out in front of an oncoming truck ( small one) at a stop sign. Wanted a "death test" of any hesitation. Zero to maybe 75 mph just like normal. Got yelled at, just like normal.

Truck is now parked in the garage. Never saw any CEL's. GDE has a shipping confirmation that shows I will get their new programmed ECM tomorrow. Great service as usual from them.

Years ago I was often criticized for describing my early impressions of GDE. I spoke of experiencing little to no power change, operation change and just a slight improvement in fuel mileage. Well my return today, with all that acceleration and speed, showed 26.5 mpg on the EVIC. Just over 28 mpg going in with GDE this morning at lesser speeds with fewer bunzi acceleration testing. I know the EGR is sooting up my engine. I know the DEF sensors are working as I put fresh DEF in the tank after draining four years of water from the tank. I KNOW there was very little change pre and post GDE. The darn thing works well after the AEM. Just not going to find out for how long. GDE goes in tomorrow if it arrives.

Oh. GDE told me the new AEM program would make my transmission shift a lot while towing. Wish it would shift when not towing today. Mine wanted to cruise along at rpm's as low as 1,200 at about 50 mph and NOT shift into 7th. That is too low for me to be comfortable running this motor. I hope I can be aware of that issue and manually downshift unless the adaptive transmission feature does some shifting. I do think running that low an rpm, lugging it in my book, is bad for these motors. Gonna watch that when I next run with GDE.

Another "OH". You get a three-page packet of information on the warranty added to your vehicle. I was shocked to see included on my truck, with way over 100,000 miles, a warranty for the cylinder head, valves, cam bearing caps, thermostat, turbo, all sensors, all DEF and DPF parts, the EGR system, fuel rails, injectors and more. Wife read all that and said I better keep it. Crazy thing is FCA is going to actually PAY ME for all these benefits. Pay me????

I should be paying them.
    JimboAnz, MAS, MR. TED and 6 others like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    If you didn't sense much difference from stock to GDE, I suspect going back to stock wouldn't be of any shock either.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6375 times
    You are right on. GDE keeps my engine running clean and the DEF sensors OFF to avoid all those CEL's. Worth its' weight in gold for that alone.

Did notice a little drop in normal ECM voltage monitored by my Ultra Gauge. Could be coincidence with the battery as it is the original, over 5 years old. Going to watch that a bit more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1367 times
    Thanks for the review capt. I share your sentiments. I haven't had the AEM done yet, but didn't notice a big difference between stock and tuned either. It did help my fuel mileage a little though.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 GCD
    Liked
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Listen to me. I will not BS you on this one.

Had my dealer do the AEM today. Set a fuel trip for the 25+ miles to the dealer this morning. Just over 28 mpg with GDE. Took note of any hesitation and power by accelerating briskly from both stops and slower speeds, like in a traffic merge. Wanted that fresh in my experience. Wife was with me and thought I was nuts. That's what she thinks all the time.

Dealership took the truck and set me up with a rental Jeep Cherokee. Also looked at the new Wrangler trucks. Kind of tiny inside both cab and bed. MSRP was exactly $60,000 on one. Silly. We talked about that and this stop/start mess on this rental Cherokee all the way to a local Tractor Supply. Shopped, had fun and headed home. Never made it. They were done doing that AEM and another recall in just a couple hours. Turned around and went back for my truck. Free rental adventure was included.

Wife wanted lunch. Figures. I was afraid the truck would not run at all since the DEF sensors and tank have not had DEF and been operable in something like 4 years. Same can be said for the EGR. I could not get on the highway but had to go to a restaurant with lots of idling and sitting. I am aggravated as I expect total breakdown any moment without GDE.

Nothing.

Finally out of that damnable restaurant and heading home. NO HESITATION that I can induce. Set the "B" fuel mileage indicator and watched. Expected to see a mess. Still in the city I saw initial fuel ratings in the first couple miles over 30 mpg. Slammed the throttle from stop. Darn thing took off. Tried a merge onto Interstate 75 to get in front of a truck. 85 mph with nothing I could feel different than when I had GDE just a couple hours earlier. Wife bitching at my speed on I 75. Did go over 90 mph as a passing test from about 75 mph. No issues. Later pulled out in front of an oncoming truck ( small one) at a stop sign. Wanted a "death test" of any hesitation. Zero to maybe 75 mph just like normal. Got yelled at, just like normal.

Truck is now parked in the garage. Never saw any CEL's. GDE has a shipping confirmation that shows I will get their new programmed ECM tomorrow. Great service as usual from them.

Years ago I was often criticized for describing my early impressions of GDE. I spoke of experiencing little to no power change, operation change and just a slight improvement in fuel mileage. Well my return today, with all that acceleration and speed, showed 26.5 mpg on the EVIC. Just over 28 mpg going in with GDE this morning at lesser speeds with fewer bunzi acceleration testing. I know the EGR is sooting up my engine. I know the DEF sensors are working as I put fresh DEF in the tank after draining four years of water from the tank. I KNOW there was very little change pre and post GDE. The darn thing works well after the AEM. Just not going to find out for how long. GDE goes in tomorrow if it arrives.

Oh. GDE told me the new AEM program would make my transmission shift a lot while towing. Wish it would shift when not towing today. Mine wanted to cruise along at rpm's as low as 1,200 at about 50 mph and NOT shift into 7th. That is too low for me to be comfortable running this motor. I hope I can be aware of that issue and manually downshift unless the adaptive transmission feature does some shifting. I do think running that low an rpm, lugging it in my book, is bad for these motors. Gonna watch that when I next run with GDE.

Another "OH". You get a three-page packet of information on the warranty added to your vehicle. I was shocked to see included on my truck, with way over 100,000 miles, a warranty for the cylinder head, valves, cam bearing caps, thermostat, turbo, all sensors, all DEF and DPF parts, the EGR system, fuel rails, injectors and more. Wife read all that and said I better keep it. Crazy thing is FCA is going to actually PAY ME for all these benefits. Pay me????

I should be paying them.
    I agree ! Ownership of these just keeps getting better and better
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    859 times
    I suspect one reason yours is running ok now is because the engine and especially the intake is not half plugged up with soot. Thanks for the update and Good to hear everything is working ok until you get your tune back in.
    Captainmal likes this.
    2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    551 times
    1. Does GDE have an updated tune or you just decide to get the AEM anyway for the warranty?

2. How many GDE miles until this reflash back to functional EGR?

3. I-75 is suicidal down there...she would complain regardless of speed on that 'death stretch'.

I went 68,000 miles on GDE (50,000 - 118,000) and dealer reflashed due to warranty electrical work. Drove stock for 2,000 miles w/o issue then replaced ECM at 121,000. That was another 65,000 miles ago.

Mopar 73340 nailed why we have no issues..at 187,000 I have 52,000 worth of soot build up.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 280k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 188k / 4.460 hrs and counting

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6375 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    1. Does GDE have an updated tune or you just decide to get the AEM anyway for the warranty?

2. How many GDE miles until this reflash back to functional EGR?

3. I-75 is suicidal down there...she would complain regardless of speed on that 'death stretch'.

I went 68,000 miles on GDE (50,000 - 118,000) and dealer reflashed due to warranty electrical work. Drove stock for 2,000 miles w/o issue then replaced ECM at 121,000. That was another 65,000 miles ago.

Mopar 73340 nailed why we have no issues..at 187,000 I have 52,000 worth of soot build up.
    Don't get #1. Got AEM both for the warranty and the $3,075. Was not going to do it so soon but my trip got delayed and is still delayed as we deal with helping a family member.

#2. Guessing around 85,000 miles since I had a working EGR and DEF sensor system. Was not aware of GDE or it did not really exist when the first Ecodiesels like mine were sold.

#3 is I 75. Incredible speeds and most always unregulated. Just not enough State Police to cover it and rarely if at all do you see a Sheriff or local police working the interstate.
    shawclan5 and TwoBobs like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1185 times
    Thanks for the review Captain , nice to see all the sensors getting revived for a brief moment
    all worked , after years of being tuned out , still sending numbers within Stock tune acceptable parameters .
    I agree with Mopar73340 about the good results explained by : ""the intake not half plugged up with soot "" theory .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Black 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel CC 4x4 Air Suspension
    Liked
    89 times
    Captain glad to hear your experience with the AEM hasn't been terrible. The hesitation I experience with the AEM has only been when the engine oil/trans/coolant temps are cool, it seems once they are over 150F the hesitation is removed. I'm curious if you will have the same review with a cold engine. After first my truck didn't feel a whole lot different when I pick it up from the dealer after AEM update (engine was warmed and running), it was a couple days later that really noticed the throttle response was only an issue first thing in the morning. Please keep up updated if your experience post-AEM changes before you get the GDE tune installed.
    Captainmal likes this.

Mods: Cabin filter, Bakflip F1 and BakBox, Kat's block heater cord, Tinted front windows, Ram stainless steel door sill plates, Amp Research PowerSteps PNP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links