Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled - Page 10

Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled

This is a discussion on Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Originally Posted by Crash68 I'm sure it's a fine product too, you probably can't go wrong with either. The OBDLink MX+ has less reviews since ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    I'm sure it's a fine product too, you probably can't go wrong with either. The OBDLink MX+ has less reviews since it's a recent upgrade to the original MX and there was also the LX and MX WiFi versions.
    The OBDLink readers are usually recommended by software/app developers. It's also cost less, you noticed I didn't say it was cheaper as the company builds quality products.
    Yes. The big difference seems to be using the blue driver software to interpret the data (it doesn't speak to other software, uses its own), versus the OBDLink MX that integrates with various software programs. So, I think it becomes a question of which software program you prefer. You mentioned a couple. Blue Driver software seems to be positively reviewed. They emailed back and said they have all the complex codes for RAM 1500 trucks. On some of the others you don't get as much info or have to pay for an add-on.

Thanks

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, recovering after AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I recently retired, airline pilot for 39 years, and married to an over achieving wife for 40+. You have nothing to explain or apologize for. If my wife gets the finger, you can be sure she will reciprocate. If you really want to piss her off, call her little girl in a not so nice manner, as in men in her line of business have done in the past. We live in the south, different world. At that point I will quickly walk away, she doesn't need me to help her, lol. She also says the truck rides better than her Eco diesel Grand Cherokee. By the way, my dad was a VW and Studebaker dealer when we were kids growing up, so I like your Beetle.
    Lovelybrook likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    I recently retired, airline pilot for 39 years, and married to an over achieving wife for 40+. You have nothing to explain or apologize for. If my wife gets the finger, you can be sure she will reciprocate. If you really want to piss her off, call her little girl in a not so nice manner, as in men in her line of business have done in the past. We live in the south, different world. At that point I will quickly walk away, she doesn't need me to help her, lol. She also says the truck rides better than her Eco diesel Grand Cherokee. By the way, my dad was a VW and Studebaker dealer when we were kids growing up, so I like your Beetle.
    This makes me smile. Thanks.

But think about the phrase, "over-achieving" wife. What message does that convey? That we are aberrant from what women should be? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Obviously, you have good taste.

Studebakers are cool. I'm not a car person, but they always reminded me of the US version of a Peugeot with all the eccentricities. I'm probably complete off target here.

Happy 4th.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, recovering after AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Actually I have a good friend, male and money manager, whom I call an over achiever all the time and to his face. I also call him other not so nice names in jest.
    Lovelybrook likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel; GDE tuned
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelybrook View Post
    Apologies. This is a bit off topic but timely.

Perhaps a hidden gift in this whole mess is that I am no longer in denial and realize I have to learn everything about this truck and how to take care of it. How to interpret any "advice" from the dealer. Diving in. I know much more than I knew a month ago. That's probably good. I left off on tuning my 56 VW so this is a bit overwhelming but one step at a time.

Can anyone give me advice on an OBD reader that will display basic info without overwhelming? Not too expensive. Reliable. Able to read codes.

2015 RAM EcoDiesel

Thanks very much.
    If you decide to get an OBDII scanner, I'd also recommend this OBDII extension wire that comes with a power switch. With this, you leave it pluged in 24/7 and just hit the switch when you want it on / off.

This way you don't have to keep reaching under to plug it in and out all the time, and you don't risk forgetting it plugged in (where it'll use your battery power then the truck is off). I use VEEPEAK adapter with Torque PRO app on my phone and haven't had any issues with it. I only use it to check my DPF % so I know when my truck goes into regen and then I can complete the regen and not risk shutting it off during a regen.

https://www.amazon.ca/bbfly-A6-Split...gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-Blueto...gateway&sr=8-3

**my first veepeak broke open (the cover came off exposing the chips inside, and broke something) because it got stuck on the obdii port, I contacted veepeak and he sent me a replacement, no issues. I was pleased with the support of the product, I didn't expect them to come through but they did, unlike FCA!
    Last edited by cds13ca; 07-05-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    Lovelybrook likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cds13ca View Post
    If you decide to get an OBDII scanner, I'd also recommend this OBDII extension wire that comes with a power switch. With this, you leave it pluged in 24/7 and just hit the switch when you want it on / off.

This way you don't have to keep reaching under to plug it in and out all the time, and you don't risk forgetting it plugged in (where it'll use your battery power then the truck is off).
    This is not necessary with the OBDLink adapters as they will put themselves to sleep with the vehicle. Even with the truck being parked all week long throughout the winter and the OBDLink adapter left plugged in I had no issues with even a weak battery.
    Lovelybrook likes this.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Sponsored Links