Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled - Page 5

Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled

This is a discussion on Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Originally Posted by John Bartley Whooaaaa !! Thin skin or what? I said nothing, absolutely nothing about male or female in my post. Maybe if ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 96
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled

  1. #41
    RAM Jr Member Lovelybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    59
    Member #
    40594
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Whooaaaa !! Thin skin or what? I said nothing, absolutely nothing about male or female in my post. Maybe if you're having such a tough time, quit being a victim, sell two of your three (or more) vehicles and get on with life. As far as not knowing what you've been thru' ...... you really have no idea about what any of us have been thru' that we don't whine about.

    cheers
    Cheers to you too.

    I didn't call you a scam. You called me a scam. Be responsible for your messages. I have empathy for what everyone has been through or I wouldn't put in 12 hour days in the hospital. Everyone deserves kindness and support. Including you. Not whining. Just defending against the scam allegation.

    I wouldn't change a thing. But that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed when some corporate insanity messes things up. Or when people mis-characterize me in a rude way and completely change the topic of the discussion. That is called a personal attack and it is not very nice.

  2. #42
    RAM Jr Member Lovelybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    59
    Member #
    40594
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    34 times

    Red face Wednesday Update

    Well, they seemed to be avoiding my calls at the dealer yesterday so I called this am to say I was going to be dropping the truck off today.

    Meanwhile I took my son to the bus, about a 25 mile each way round trip. My poor computer is going up, down and all around. Gas dropping like a rock. Again, could barely get up my hill. I am learning that things are the worst at slow speed and when going up any type of a grade in terms of mileage and crazy computer read outs. I went up a minor grade on the freeway between two towns, about 6 miles, and the range dropped 30 miles.

    So I took the truck to the dealers and was afraid to go in because I was really annoyed on the phone on Monday. But they were nice. They have another truck just like mine that has "moved in" and is waiting to figure this same set of symptoms also. Yesterday they repeated his AEM update and it didn't make a difference. They said they are "waiting on corporate."

    I basically handed them the key fob and said keep it until it is fixed, I don't want to see it anymore, it just makes me mad. The Mini and I are about to become reacquainted.

    I have had a lot of really great advice here and lots of support and thanks from the bottom of my heart. I am keeping a sharp eye on all this information. There are some options. My biggest priorities are great gas mileage, ability to tow, and reasonable driving performance, in that order. I don't need to be first out of the gate! But it would be nice to feel like the engine is humming in a good healthy way and that parts are not being stressed to an early death.

    I will update what the dealer does. For now, its time to stop sparring with John Bartley and let all this info to settle in. I hope those considering this recall update are very careful. I would not do it if I could reverse time.

    Happy Wednesday

  3. #43
    Administrator 97hmcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Location: Location, Location
    Posts
    7,864
    Member #
    1428
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4562 times
    Probably time for all to put the emotions on the back-burner and get back to rational advice.
    Lovelybrook and RudolfDiesel like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #44
    RAM Jr Member Lovelybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    59
    Member #
    40594
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    34 times
    Update. The dealer confirmed my truck is not right. At least I don't have to argue that point. They have 4 like mine very messed up. One is so bad it lost all power in the middle of an intersection and was a big safety issue. So they are on our side but not much corporate support it seems. One day at a time.
    Manofmeyham likes this.
    ************************

    2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, recovering after AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)


  6. #45
    RAM Silver Member howie12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,266
    Member #
    1600
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelybrook View Post
    Update. The dealer confirmed my truck is not right. At least I don't have to argue that point. They have 4 like mine very messed up. One is so bad it lost all power in the middle of an intersection and was a big safety issue. So they are on our side but not much corporate support it seems. One day at a time.
    If things have gone haywire on the upgrade for this dealer 4 times I would be suspicious of his capabilities or if they are a big dealer and have done many more perhaps it is one technician that did them all wrong.

    I have a small dealer that also sells Fords and claims to have only sold 2 Ecodiesels which I believe. Few people special order trucks here and he keeps his lot well stocked with Bighorns and sells from stock. Anyhow, when I called to schedule my update the service advisor said he needed to check if they had everything they needed and if the tech had done the training. He called me back and said they would have the paperwork packge from FCA the following week and we scheduled an appointment. When I got there he said they had done one Ecodiesel and I would be the second. He said they had test driven the first one and it was fine and the owner was happy with it also. Mine was done and a a few other outstanding recalls and a 3way valve warranty replacement so I left the truck and got it the next day and it was fine. Truck holds gears longer before the upshift and therefore it feels peppier to me than before. No change I can discern in the mileage.
    TwoBobs and Ram1 like this.

  7. #46
    RAM Jr Member Lovelybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    59
    Member #
    40594
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelybrook View Post
    Update. The dealer confirmed my truck is not right. At least I don't have to argue that point. They have 4 like mine very messed up. One is so bad it lost all power in the middle of an intersection and was a big safety issue. So they are on our side but not much corporate support it seems. One day at a time.
    If things have gone haywire on the upgrade for this dealer 4 times I would be suspicious of his capabilities or if they are a big dealer and have done many more perhaps it is one technician that did them all wrong.

    I have a small dealer that also sells Fords and claims to have only sold 2 Ecodiesels which I believe. Few people special order trucks here and he keeps his lot well stocked with Bighorns and sells from stock. Anyhow, when I called to schedule my update the service advisor said he needed to check if they had everything they needed and if the tech had done the training. He called me back and said they would have the paperwork packge from FCA the following week and we scheduled an appointment. When I got there he said they had done one Ecodiesel and I would be the second. He said they had test driven the first one and it was fine and the owner was happy with it also. Mine was done and a a few other outstanding recalls and a 3way valve warranty replacement so I left the truck and got it the next day and it was fine. Truck holds gears longer before the upshift and therefore it feels peppier to me than before. No change I can discern in the mileage.
    Seems we are at the beginning of the puzzle. Bad software? Bad technician? Something unique about your truck?

    It is so variable across the forum. They finally admitted they doubt a quick software fix with the epa involved. Would have to be approved. Im giving them 3 weeks then doing something myself.

    Ironically i had planned the first truck trip vacation ever for August.

    There are bigger problems in life but really didn't need this.
    ************************

    2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, recovering after AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)


  8. #47
    RAM Silver Member howie12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,266
    Member #
    1600
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelybrook View Post
    Seems we are at the beginning of the puzzle. Bad software? Bad technician? Something unique about your truck?

    It is so variable across the forum. They finally admitted they doubt a quick software fix with the epa involved. Would have to be approved. Im giving them 3 weeks then doing something myself.

    Ironically i had planned the first truck trip vacation ever for August.

    There are bigger problems in life but really didn't need this.
    Nothing unique with my truck. It is bog standard with no after market additions except a tonneau cover on the box which is unlikely to affect this discussion. Many people on this forum report no problems and many do but many that do (not all) had the GDE tune and it seems to me it is more difficult for them to remember what the truck was like before the tune. Regardless of what you think about the EPA, lawyers and FCA it seems to me there has to be some evidence to allow them to say the updated tune does not materially affect the operation of the vehicle in terms of power, driveability, economy and durability.

    I think it is highly unlikely that the dealer or FCA is going to come up with a new tune. We do have evidence posted here that some dealers have not done the update properly.

    It seems to me the only real things the dealer can do is to retry installing the update being very careful to follow all the steps carefully and check for other codes. If that doesn't work he will have to see what FCA can tell him to do. If I were you I'd ask them if they have performed any of the V08 recalls successfully. If he hasn't then he has a problem. If he has then he should be able to figure out the issue.

    Relative to this update my service order says Recall V08 performed. Reprogrammed PCM from 68306456AC to 68306456AH. Perform oil life data exchange. PReprogram TCM from 68234053AC to 68234053AH per recall V08.
    Last edited by howie12; 06-13-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo

  9. #48
    RAM Professor patriot07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    702
    Member #
    9343
    Vehicle
    2016 CC 4x2
    Liked
    273 times
    Obviously something going on at that dealer. I dropped mine off for the update yesterday and it was in and out very quickly, and since the update included something for the TCM as well, I think my truck might be driving even better than it did before. Seems to shift smoother, although I never had an issue with the 8-speed before now.

    Good luck getting it straightened out - hopefully the dealer can take care of it so you don't have to extend the hassle and stress you're going through.

  10. #49
    RAM Jr Member Lovelybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    59
    Member #
    40594
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelybrook View Post
    Seems we are at the beginning of the puzzle. Bad software? Bad technician? Something unique about your truck?

    It is so variable across the forum. They finally admitted they doubt a quick software fix with the epa involved. Would have to be approved. Im giving them 3 weeks then doing something myself.

    Ironically i had planned the first truck trip vacation ever for August.

    There are bigger problems in life but really didn't need this.
    Nothing unique with my truck. It is bog standard with no after market additions except a tonneau cover on the box which is unlikely to affect this discussion. Many people on this forum report no problems and many do but many that do (not all) had the GDE tune and it seems to me it is more difficult for them to remember what the truck was like before the tune. Regardless of what you think about the EPA, lawyers and FCA it seems to me there has to be some evidence to allow them to say the updated tune does not materially affect the operation of the vehicle in terms of power, driveability, economy and durability.

    I think it is highly unlikely that the dealer or FCA is going to come up with a new tune. We do have evidence posted here that some dealers have not done the update properly.

    It seems to me the only real things the dealer can do is to retry installing the update being very careful to follow all the steps carefully and check for other codes. If that doesn't work he will have to see what FCA can tell him to do. If I were you I'd ask them if they have performed any of the V08 recalls successfully. If he hasn't then he has a problem. If he has then he should be able to figure out the issue.

    Relative to this update my service order says Recall V08 performed. Reprogrammed PCM from 68306456AC to 68306456AH. Perform oil life data exchange. PReprogram TCM from 68234053AC to 68234053AH per recall V08.
    Mine was as standard as they come. I never even heard of after market tunes. Dealer has done many successfully.

    They are scratching their heads. “We have to fix your truck but we don't know how.”

    I think there is a case to revert it back. I did not give informed consent. True risks benefits not disclosed. Keep the rebate. I want my truck back.

    Seems unless they try to enforce everyone to do this, you should have choice and that includes reverting it back.

    One note to all you who think it is driver perception. The service manager is driving all these cars. She is very clear. “This one is fine. This one is really bad. This one is bad (mine). This one is off a bit. “

    So I trust all you drivers out there. I think there are mixed results.
    Last edited by Lovelybrook; 06-13-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    ************************

    2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, recovering after AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)


  11. #50
    RAM Jr Member Tracman63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    65
    Member #
    33161
    Vehicle
    '17 Pearl White Laramie
    Liked
    26 times
    It seems like those that haven't completed the AEM update, but still intend to do so, may want to wait until later in the allotted time window, after the problems have surfaced and solutions are available.
    redsunBC likes this.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •