Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled

This is a discussion on Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Hi everyone, I bought my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn as the original owner. I buy cars for life. My garage has a '56 VW ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Need advice: Non-mechanical woman who loved her truck, now its spoiled

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    34 times

Hi everyone,

I bought my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn as the original owner. I buy cars for life. My garage has a '56 VW and a 2004 MiniCooper. I put a lot of thought into this purchase and traveled to Wyoming from California to get exactly what I wanted. It wasn't cheap. I am one year from paying it off. I wanted something nice to keep forever.

I come from a ranch background and have been around trucks a lot but I am somewhat "green" in my thinking and wanted something with decent mileage that could also tow well. I have loved this truck since the day I bought it. I used my private funds from an inheritance. I recently went through a tough divorce lasting 3 years and have been working multiple jobs to survive and be able to keep the truck, make the payments. When I climbed in the truck, it was my happy spot in a sea of stress.

I didn't focus on special tuning, any type of mods. I was happy with it as it was built. I have maintained it exactly as recommended at the local dealer.

I stupidly agreed to have the AEM update two weeks ago. I hadn't followed the threads or the issue. There was a big representation that performance and mileage wouldn't be affected.

My beautiful truck and happy spot are gone. The performance is dismal. I am a creature of habit that does the same 80 mile commute daily. I go up the same hill out of my driveway daily. I gas up at the same gas station every two weeks or so. Nothing is the same now.

The truck used to fly up the hill cold or warm barely pressing on the gas. Now it barely chugs along, stops in mid hill and even flooring it, there is uncertainty about getting up the hill. I can only imagine what would be happening if I was towing a trailer. There is a constant lag hot or cold going from stopped. It is dangerously slow. I am afraid to pass cars on a two lane road.

The mileage has decreased about 25% and dropping fast. When I filled up before my range was always 660 miles. Now it is in the low 500's and still declining. It is particularly bad if I am not on the freeway. I can practically see the needle dropping driving in town.

My computer is completely messed up in terms of mileage and range. When I start out it is at one number and then the range usually increases about 20-30 miles as I drive for 30 minutes, then it drops suddenly 40 miles, then it creeps back up again. I turn it off. When I turn it back on the number is 30 miles less than when I turned it off.

I have a bad feeling that whatever they did is not good for the engine and other parts. It ran so nicely before. The sounds are different. It feels like anything can happen now. I used to drive with complete confidence in the truck. No longer.

So, I feel my truck is ruined and four years of struggle to pay off something that I love is wasted. I gave up a lot in the divorce to keep the truck. The whole thing feels horrible.

Both the dealer and the corporate office are not encouraging. Well... maybe there might be a fix... we know some people are having issues... really?

If anyone can advise me if there are any fixes that I might pursue. I would like to return to the original software, forget the settlement check. I just want my truck back. I am not far from Nevada and wonder if going out of California to remedy this might be possible in some way.

This is not ok. I probably can't afford to drive the truck now. My green sensibilities are no longer happy. I can't imagine this is better for the air when I am burning more than 25% more gas to go the same distance.

I'm headed back to the dealer. I am a lawyer and may pursue legal recourse but am sick of legal battles. I just want my truck back. It was the bright light.

D
    Last edited by Lovelybrook; 06-10-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 2WD Big Horn Ecodiesel
    Liked
    19 times
    A GDE tune would solve your problems but GDE won't sell to California residents anymore due to legal challenges. It's a total bummer. I have GDE in mine since I purchased before they pulled out of California. After reading your post I am extremely reluctant to have that AEM done to my truck regardless of how much $ they offer. My truck runs so good right now and I don't want to screw it up. Perhaps I'll wait until I'm ready for a new vehicle. Anyways good luck. I say collect your money and then seek a good tune from a reputable engine tuner.
    Lovelybrook likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    GDE won't sell to anyone with a CA shipping or billing address. If you have the ability to purchase and have it shipped out of state that's your best bet.
    Lovelybrook likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    34 times
    I was looking at their website. I'm pretty dumb about this but it seems you can buy a fresh "board," have them program it with the proper "tune," and then install it. I would have one board with the AEM software and switch it for the GDE board? I can have it shipped out of state. Who would make sense to install it? Thanks for your help.

Does GDE totally void your warranty? I read it is basically illegal to be driving a CA vehicle with mods like this so there is that... thanks.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie longhorn (sold) 2019 RAM 1500 (current)
    Liked
    153 times
    Lovely brook,

Here is my 2 cents: Sell it. Don’t fall in love with a truck....they are tools to get you a specific job done. Whether it’s from point A to point B or personal use.......they don’t reciprocate emotions, you think your truck woke up and said I feel sorry for brook after this fix was installed?

Save your emotions for people, animals, hobbies.

Not trying to be a *mule* but why waste time....we never get time back! Go dump the truck and get something else. Get a used truck if you can’t afford a new one.

Sorry to be blunt.....but you said you can’t afford to drive the truck any longer....cut your losses and move on.

Member #
    Liked
    523 times
    Recommend that the California folks buy their EDs out of state with GDE already installed. And, keep a spare ECU.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    34 times
    Lovely brook,

Here is my 2 cents: Sell it. Don’t fall in love with a truck....they are tools to get you a specific job done. Whether it’s from point A to point B or personal use.......they don’t reciprocate emotions, you think your truck woke up and said I feel sorry for brook after this fix was installed?

Not trying to be a *mule* but why waste time....we never get time back! Go dump the truck and get something else. Get a used truck if you can’t afford a new one.

Sorry to be blunt.....but you said you can’t afford to drive the truck any longer....cut your losses and move on.

************************************************** ************************************************** *************

Thank you for your lack of support and lack of understanding of my situation.

Keeping a car for life is not stupid when you know exactly what that car has gone through, what has been done to it, and you have a mechanic you trust;. I have saved tens of thousands of dollars doing this for decades. I am not selling the truck. I am going to fight to get it returned to its original condition. This is BS. No one can unilaterally ruin my truck and cost me thousands of dollars.

Of course the truck is not real. But the truck gave me a sense of security and long-term utility and it plugged a necessary hole. I want those things back.

Thank you for reminding me why I got divorced.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselfever View Post
    Recommend that the California folks buy their EDs out of state with GDE already installed. And, keep a spare ECU.
    Thanks for this. Would I be asking a lot for an out of state mechanic to put in a GDE ED if (s)he knew I lived in California? Not sure if they would balk at that...

D

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    679 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Omarf4 View Post
    Lovely brook,

Say what? I think she's way too early in this process to come to that conclusion. For one, I'd try a different dealer just to make sure that something else is not causing this issue. I'd also wait a bit to see if RAM comes out with a fix for this. First versions of almost any software are buggy and there have been enough complaints about lag that I would not be surprised to see RAM come out with an update. She also mentioned that she lived close to Nevada. Possibly a GDE tune could be purchased for her via a friend in Nevada? Those are just a couple thoughts. Way to early to cut your losses in my opinion. These are wonderful trucks and I'd exhaust all options before getting rid of it.
    Lovelybrook likes this.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I COMPLETELY understand it being the place you feel most comfortable in. I drive my truck at least 60,000 miles a year. I'm literally in it more than I'm in my own bed. I spend the week in hotels and the weekend in my truck. It has everything I need and has taken me all across the country. It has been a very reliable truck, now reaching 222,000 miles. It was broken into last year Memorial Day weekend and I just felt angry, the one spot that has been all mine had been violated. I can't help you on the topic you asked about because I will not being doing the AEM due to it already being tuned and deleted but I can totally relate on a much more personal level as to how important these "tools" are to my livelihood and sanity. I'd hate to lose that sense of security as you did.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links