Truck still in shop over 3 weeks after failed AEM

This is a discussion on Truck still in shop over 3 weeks after failed AEM within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; So this has been fun. I bought my 2014 EcoDiesel just over 3 weeks ago. I drove home from the dealership (3 hour trip) and ...

Member #

So this has been fun. I bought my 2014 EcoDiesel just over 3 weeks ago. I drove home from the dealership (3 hour trip) and when I got into town I got a check engine light. I ran by Auto Zone real quick to see if they could give me the code, which they did... P0428 Catalyst Temperature Sensor High Input (Bank 1), along with P1D30 (which had no description). . The next morning I got up and started up the truck and it was in limp mode, saying the exhaust filter was 100% full, which is impossible because I had just finished a 3 hour trip on the freeway. A couple days later I was able to get it into the local Dodge dealer to do the AEM, as well as fix whatever put it into limp mode. They attempted to do the AEM but the update completely crashed and ruined the PCM. They ordered a new PCM and threw it in, and they still can't do the AEM, nor can they figure out what's causing the truck to stay in limp mode. Long story short, here we are over 3 weeks later and my truck is still in the shop. No AEM and they still can't figure out what's wrong with the truck, despite being in touch with the Dodge corporate guys. The latest I heard was that they think there may be a bad sensor that's giving a false indicator that makes it look like a different sensor is bad. They're replacing that sensor to see if it fixes the problem. Needless to say, I'm beyond frustrated. I had my "new" truck for a few hours before it crapped out, and now it's been in the shop for 3 weeks with no apparent end in sight. I have a camping trip coming up in 1 week with my 30 foot travel trailer and I'll be pretty pissed if I don't have my truck. That camping trip will mark one month that my truck has been in the shop if it's not fixed by then.

Phil

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2357 times
    I’d have the dealership pull up previous warranty issues, Then I’d look for a EGR replacement , maybe previous owner had it replaced and the leaking EGR compromised the dpf causing excessive back pressures or possibly the EGR is leaking internally now into the exhaust system.. Was the coolant bottle low ?

Anyhow I’m only guessing at the symptoms, Good Luck and please let the forum know your final outcome and solution...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 4x4 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    Liked
    191 times
    Ask for another truck (loaner) for your trip and hopefully they'll "understand" the circumstances.

Sponsored Links