New Thread - Class Action Attorney Asking for Hard Evidence of AEM Problems

This is a discussion on New Thread - Class Action Attorney Asking for Hard Evidence of AEM Problems within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Hi, I just spoke with one of the class action attorneys who is following up on the AEM complaints. The attorneys WILL take this issue ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Lovelybrook
  • 1 Post By HollyWoodGriz
  • 2 Post By phprof
  • 1 Post By HollyWoodGriz
  • 2 Post By [email protected]

Thread: New Thread - Class Action Attorney Asking for Hard Evidence of AEM Problems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    16 times

Hi,

I just spoke with one of the class action attorneys who is following up on the AEM complaints. The attorneys WILL take this issue to the Department of Justice, the government body that negotiated the settlement with FCA to complain that the guarantees to the consumer have not held up in terms of mpg, power, drive-ability, etc. if there is critical mass and documentation. It won't be quick but they will advocate for consumers even at this point in the process if we truly have been harmed by the fix.

They need hard evidence in terms of written statements from service managers, dealers, etc. They need numbers showing what has been lost.

I have more than a few verbal admissions that my truck is not ok from the dealer. I hope it will be memorialized in writing somehow through the tests, the star case, etc.

If you truly feel impacted by the AEM and you can describe the difference in your truck in a convincing way that can probably be documented somehow, I urge you to call the attorneys and leave a message. It will help everyone.

415-956-1000 - ask for the attorneys handling the class action settlement. You will probably get voicemail but I had a nice attorney call me back within a day or two. He was kind and reasonable, took notes and was interested in what I had to say.

Thanks
    Last edited by Lovelybrook; Today at 05:30 PM.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, currently disabled due to AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Thanks for posting, I would encourage all that are encountering this issue of poor throttle response and any other issues to please contact the number above. I will be working to gather any documentation that supports my contention that my vehicles drive-ability has been significantly impacted, which goes against what FCA stated would happen.
    Lovelybrook likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    265 times
    Tell him to come drive my POS for a day or so. Then drive one that has the stock tune. Then drive one with a GDE tune.

Oh, wait, they probably only drive the cars with the three pointed stars.

Okay, okay. I'll be reasonable.

They need to have a qualified dyno testing lab do a torque/horsepower measurement on a truck before and after the AEM. Perhaps several trucks. It's important that it is done a few miles/days after the initial flash. There is going to be the hard facts. The rest is all seat-of-the-pants guesswork.

Some tests on flat tracks of 0-60mph times both unloaded, loaded, and loaded with trailer.

I'm suspicious that FCA is boxed into a corner and this was the settlement that was agreed to instead of a full buy back. Especially since the trucks don't violate the emissions as badly as the VW's did and a re-tune of the engine could be made to get it at least close. The payout I took as that we are accepting that our trucks may not be the same performance wise as it was before the AEM and the money is to compensate for fuel mileage changes, DEF consumption, and loss of performance. The wavier we all signed to get this payout will probably prevent us from receiving any further compensation.

Edit: More information on my end. I know the torque and thus turbo boost is down. I can show that on my torque pro data I collected. Especially on the very low end. The numbers aren't perfect so not really usable for an action. I also know the torque is down from a simple test. I stopped at a light tonight. Left foot on the brake, right on the throttle. Just before the light went green I throttled up against the torque converter (about 1200 rpms). On green I dropped the brake and put the throttle to 100%. It would not spin the tires. A nice smooth (powerful and smooth) transition but it would not peel rubber. Before the tune I would have squealed it like a stuck pig.

I'm not suggesting people try this. It can be very hard on the drive train and will get you a ticket if an officer of the law sees it. However, my point is this truck won't do it. It can't do it. They have throttle back the fuel input and turned back the variable geometry turbo to build power more gradually. Perhaps the truck will last longer. Heck, I'd last longer if I change my oil more often and didn't squeal more tires.

If I get some "data" assembled I'll send it along.
    Last edited by phprof; Today at 05:07 PM. Reason: more thoughts than a squirrel at a carnival
    HollyWoodGriz and Lovelybrook like this.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phprof View Post
    Tell him to come drive my POS for a day or so. Then drive one that has the stock tune. Then drive one with a GDE tune.

They need to have a qualified dyno testing lab do a torque/horsepower measurement on a truck before and after the AEM. Perhaps several trucks. It's important that it is done a few miles/days after the initial flash. There is going to be the hard facts. The rest is all seat-of-the-pants guesswork.

In speaking with my service manager at the dealer, he conceded that they've received numerous complaints around poor throttle response. I asked if he'd be willing to share his thoughts in writing and he was very leary...bottom line, he believes there are issues with the AEM but doesn't want to rock the boat with the Dealership & FCA...

Phprof has the right idea, we need qualified Dyno-Testing and documentation...Given my experience with the dealer, I do not see many service managers or tech's being willing to go on the record...

On another note, I'm hoping GDE will share what changes they've seen done with the ECM in hopes of shedding light on what FCA did....
    Lovelybrook likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you for sharing this information. I just left my info with the attorney's office.
    HollyWoodGriz and Lovelybrook like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phprof View Post

Some tests on flat tracks of 0-60mph times both unloaded, loaded, and loaded with trailer.

I'm suspicious that FCA is boxed into a corner and this was the settlement that was agreed to instead of a full buy back. Especially since the trucks don't violate the emissions as badly as the VW's did and a re-tune of the engine could be made to get it at least close. The payout I took as that we are accepting that our trucks may not be the same performance wise as it was before the AEM and the money is to compensate for fuel mileage changes, DEF consumption, and loss of performance. The wavier we all signed to get this payout will probably prevent us from receiving any further compensation.
    The attorney did say there is a buyback option if your car is stuck at the dealer's for 30 days addressing problems. I haven't checked this or read the fine print. I don't want to sell my truck. I want it back how it was. I think that the more we decrease emotion and go for cold hard facts, the better chance we have of coming out of this intact.

I'm not smart about car-testing. So I defer to you all who know the numbers and might have creative ideas of how to do before and after, document mileage, etc.

The $$ SHOULD NOT be to pay for loss of performance and more gas because they were very clear in representing that those things were not part of the deal. Even the settlement site's (not attorneys) phone recording states no appreciable changes in mpg, power, etc.

I hope we can just keep marching forward with the smart people here and give them the hard facts they need to get us back to where we were...

The attorney said that many of them are actually driving these trucks before and after and reporting symptoms themselves. The lag is well-known. MPG changes less. My crazy computer readings for ranges is the first time he heard that. Keep your eyes on your range readings and see if they work without jumping all over. He was interested in that finding. It is easy to verify.

Thanks.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, currently disabled due to AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)

Sponsored Links