Why should I do the AEM?

Why should I do the AEM?

This is a discussion on Why should I do the AEM? within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; I bought a used 2015 Ecodiesel this spring so I get no money and I bought an extended warranty which will last as long as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why should I do the AEM?

Member #

Why should I do the AEM?

I bought a used 2015 Ecodiesel this spring so I get no money and I bought an extended warranty which will last as long as the AEM extended warranty will. So my question is what would be the benefit of doing the AEM? Would appear that the BEST out come would be for the truck to run as good as it does now.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    From the conversation that I had with the service writer at my dealer, they are legally bound to honor the recall and apply the update, no matter what. If that is truly the case, and you don't want the update, don't bring it into a dealer. Participation in the settlement is what's voluntary.

Mind you, I don't know how true the "legally bound" part is, but at least be aware that some dealer may just automatically apply the update.
    VernDiesel likes this.

N 48° 38.680, W 080° 40.837 (Northern Ontario)
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 SLT, QC, Ram Box, Black Forest Green, Canyon Brown
    Liked
    280 times
    There seem to be differing opinions about what the dealers are "bound" to do. Mine gave me the option of doing it or not doing it. I did it and so far haven't noticed any difference in my truck.

As to "why"? No comment .... it's your truck ... I seem to be in the minority as far as results from this AEM. Mine and apparently a few others also are fine with no adverse effects from the update.

The update I did turn down was the auto-park update, and that one was also optional according to my dealer.
    jetlag likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Big Horn ED
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdome View Post
    I bought a used 2015 Ecodiesel this spring so I get no money and I bought an extended warranty which will last as long as the AEM extended warranty will. So my question is what would be the benefit of doing the AEM? Would appear that the BEST out come would be for the truck to run as good as it does now.
    Why do you think you get no money? If the original owner does not make a claim you get the full amount, if the original owner does make a claim you get a reduced amount, don't remember the number but it is around 2300-2400.
    Current Ram:
    2018 (White) EcoDiesel, Big Horn, 4x2, Quad Cab, 6'4" Bed, GDE Tune @1247 Miles

Previous Rams:
    2002 (Blue) 3.6L V6, 4x2, 8' bed, Regular Cab, 120k miles (loved this truck)
    2013 (White) 3.6L V6, 4x4, 8' bed, Regular Cab, Tradesman (Cracked Oil Filter Housing, no oil, dealer said no engine damage, traded for 2015)
    2015 (Black) 3.0L V6, 4x4 EcoDiesel, 6'4" Bed, Quad Cab, Big Horn, 69k Miles, (loved this truck too)

Profile Photo-2015 Black and 2018 White on day of trade.

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    Yep, as the current owner you will receive $2460 I believe. So, apply for the settlement refund via ecodieselsettlement.com. The take some of that money and obtain the aftermarket items that counteract the crappy AEM.

kcZ
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie 3D
    Liked
    29 times
    Only do the AEM if you get money for it. It is not worth having done for any other reason.
    Kazimodo and Captainmal like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    215 times
    I have a 2015 and if I were to do things over again I would not do the update. Not worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3612 times
    Only do the update if you are going to take some of the money to get both the engine & transmission tunes. Pocket the rest and have a better cleaner stronger more efficient and more reliable truck than what left than factory.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    538 times
    I have heard someone say that dealers have to check for updates whenever they work on the trucks. If the truck has not been updated to current EPA guidelines they have to update it before they can work on it.

Some have suggested that if it has not been updated within the deadline date that the owner may have to pay to have it done before the dealer will work on it.

Of course this is a non issue if you never plan to bring it to the dealer to have work done.

This also may be a bunch of BS, have not seen any proof that this is true.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram1 View Post
    I have heard someone say that dealers have to check for updates whenever they work on the trucks. If the truck has not been updated to current EPA guidelines they have to update it before they can work on it.

Some have suggested that if it has not been updated within the deadline date that the owner may have to pay to have it done before the dealer will work on it.

Of course this is a non issue if you never plan to bring it to the dealer to have work done.

This also may be a bunch of BS, have not seen any proof that this is true.
    I would love to know the answer to this. I still have some oil changes at the dealer "in the bank" but I don't want them touching my tuning. They updated it but I don't want them messing with it now, if you know what I mean...

I may need to find an independent mechanic. Have many of you found someone you trust? Or do as much of your own work as possible?

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel crew cab, longer bed, original owner, recovering after AEM update
    2004 Mini Cooper S, British Racing Green, excellent condition, original owner
    1956 VW Bug, light blue, second owner since 1970, under restoration from the ground up (wheels are done!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links