Post-AEM Performance issues now being reported by The Fast Late Truck (TFL) - Page 2

Post-AEM Performance issues now being reported by The Fast Late Truck (TFL)

This is a discussion on Post-AEM Performance issues now being reported by The Fast Late Truck (TFL) within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Originally Posted by 97hmcs Basically it's side steps running the length of the wheelbase that help smooth out underbody turbulence, and a tri-fold tonneau cover ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Post-AEM Performance issues now being reported by The Fast Late Truck (TFL)

  1. #11
    RAM Sr Member pizza442's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dana Point, CA
    Posts
    193
    Member #
    6987
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Basically it's side steps running the length of the wheelbase that help smooth out underbody turbulence, and a tri-fold tonneau cover cleans up airflow out back and a badge.
    Since I have an HFE, yes, it has the full-length running boards and according to the window sticker, etc. it is supposed to have a hard, tri-fold tonneau but they ended up using the one-piece vinyl stretched over 'ribs' frame. Kinda like what they put in the Lightning pu if I remember correctly. Possibly the SRT/10, too.
    Also, it is based on the Express to get the more aero front end. And 2 wheel drive. All this bumped it up one more mpg to 29 hwy. on the sticker. (21/29 with 24 listed as Avg.) Hitch delete (for weight? or part of the Express pkg in the first place?)
    Otherwise, same ECM/PCM
    2015 1500 Ecodiesel HFE

  2. #12
    RAM Sr Member GRIFF4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    218
    Member #
    40656
    Liked
    82 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    This one is comical:

    "Edgar writes: Agree with the assessments that the vehicle changed drastically. I have to enter a busy street every time I leave home. First few days I almost was hit every time I went out there. Now I figured a way to merge into traffic. I press on the brake hard, rev the engine above 2300 rpm and then let go of the brake. It gets me across the street the way the Ram used to be. I’ll be selling it as soon as I get my 3K. I don’t like my wife driving it. Too dangerous. The benefits of the diesel have been ruined."

    Total BS as this will trigger a CEL unless tuned.
    As a guy who had some issues with the AEM update. It's unfortunate that I am starting to see stuff that seems clearly made up because it takes away from people with real issues after the AEM update. Some of what I've been reading seems over the top or clearly a lie. My issues where lag and poor performance as a lot of people are stating. I due feel like the number of good reports far out way the bad. I am not sure what the deal is. I do know if it's possible for you to tune it do it and be happy again. The settlement money is more then fair enough with extended warranty and enough money to pay for the tune and pocket the rest. If ya can't do it I understand your frustration.

  3. #13
    RAM Jr Member vettelover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    75
    Member #
    40784
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    How does the HFE badge change the AEM?
    The HFE isn't simply a badge, they are tuned differently. They also have stop/start and active grill shutters that change the airflow into the radiator.

    https://www.greencarreports.com/news...iciency-rating

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    RAM Professional Dieselfever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    567
    Member #
    7134
    Liked
    533 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    You can all thank the EPA if you're not happy with the AEM. Perhaps it's time for a class action lawsuit against the EPA.
    Now there is a thought. Sue the EPA for the millions they got from FCA.
    GRIFF4 and DJL_57 like this.

  6. #15
    RAM Sr Member cajunhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    151
    Member #
    36226
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    This one is comical:

    "Edgar writes: Agree with the assessments that the vehicle changed drastically. I have to enter a busy street every time I leave home. First few days I almost was hit every time I went out there. Now I figured a way to merge into traffic. I press on the brake hard, rev the engine above 2300 rpm and then let go of the brake. It gets me across the street the way the Ram used to be. I’ll be selling it as soon as I get my 3K. I don’t like my wife driving it. Too dangerous. The benefits of the diesel have been ruined."

    Total BS as this will trigger a CEL unless tuned.
    I feel the same way as the guy who posted that. Truck ****ing sucks ass now.

  7. #16
    RAM Wizard Brokedownbutgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Hermiston, Oregon
    Posts
    1,320
    Member #
    15458
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vettelover View Post
    The HFE isn't simply a badge, they are tuned differently. They also have stop/start and active grill shutters that change the airflow into the radiator.

    https://www.greencarreports.com/news...iciency-rating
    There is some inaccuracies in that article the ecodiesel has never had start stop and the hfe model in only available in the quad cab. They have the same tuning as all other models and all models have active grill shutters.
    97hmcs likes this.

  8. #17
    RAM Jr Member vettelover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    75
    Member #
    40784
    Liked
    15 times
    Ecodiesel Cherokee owners are also having problems.

    https://www.tflcar.com/2019/08/jeep-...-software-fix/

  9. #18
    Administrator 97hmcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Location: Location, Location
    Posts
    7,864
    Member #
    1428
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vettelover View Post
    The HFE isn't simply a badge, they are tuned differently. They also have stop/start and active grill shutters that change the airflow into the radiator.

    https://www.greencarreports.com/news...iciency-rating
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...llsize-pickup/

  10. #19
    RAM Rookie ECOBRAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    14
    Member #
    38474
    Liked
    9 times
    Hey all, I am the one with the HFE that commented to TFL. I just finished my first towing trip with the AEM. Still haven't noticed any differences in driveability, and just set a personal best MPG while towing. I do NOT believe the AEM increased my fuel mileage, but I am positive that it did not decrease it. Check out the video below.

    Sucks that some people are having issues, very unusual that it doesn't seem to be consistent. As some have mentioned, is it possibly just a coincidence of age of the truck versus when the AEM was released? My truck has 32k miles on it, so it is a bit premature for any carbon, soot, or EGR buildup to cause problems. Is that why I am not having issues but others are? Curious.

    EDIT: my truck does not have start/stop (I am one of the few that wishes it did, the technology exists for a reason). I also do not believe it has active grill shutters? On my 2016, I think all the HFE model included was: most aerodynamic layout (quad cab 6ft bed), aerodynamic running boards, tonneau cover, less electronics inside the cab, and of course a cool HFE badge

    97hmcs and ajb3015 like this.

  11. #20
    Administrator 97hmcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Location: Location, Location
    Posts
    7,864
    Member #
    1428
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ECOBRAP View Post
    Hey all, I am the one with the HFE that commented to TFL. I just finished my first towing trip with the AEM. Still haven't noticed any differences in driveability, and just set a personal best MPG while towing. I do NOT believe the AEM increased my fuel mileage, but I am positive that it did not decrease it. Check out the video below.

    Sucks that some people are having issues, very unusual that it doesn't seem to be consistent. As some have mentioned, is it possibly just a coincidence of age of the truck versus when the AEM was released? My truck has 32k miles on it, so it is a bit premature for any carbon, soot, or EGR buildup to cause problems. Is that why I am not having issues but others are? Curious.

    EDIT: my truck does not have start/stop (I am one of the few that wishes it did, the technology exists for a reason). I also do not believe it has active grill shutters? On my 2016, I think all the HFE model included was: most aerodynamic layout (quad cab 6ft bed), aerodynamic running boards, tonneau cover, less electronics inside the cab, and of course a cool HFE badge
    And let's not rule out human perception. I tried the AEM and definitely noticed some lag until temps were up a bit to maybe 140 degrees. I didn't notice a decrease in fuel economy except the average was down a little due to the regen the dealer did. They basically rev the engine to 2500 RPM for 10 minutes or more.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •