Something from FCA concerning the lag - Page 11

Something from FCA concerning the lag

This is a discussion on Something from FCA concerning the lag within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Lesson in life : never assume that any vehicule will always do what you command it to do . live long enough and you will ...

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Something from FCA concerning the lag

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Lesson in life : never assume that any vehicule will always do what you command it to do .
    live long enough and you will see a moment where the brake pedal goes to the floor with

I lived that one in 1973. Owned an old raggedy Wills Jeep 4 speed, and geared so low, wide open you were doing 50MPH on the interstate. Between Orlando and Daytona heading back to Daytona and school after a weekend of partying in Tampa. My foot went to the floor, gas pedal and not brake. Engine running just fine, just no gas. Crawling underneath, the drive shaft was split down the middle and resting on the highway. Now to add insult to injury, a state trooper arrested us for hitchhiking on the interstate, a no no. he expected us to walk 20+ miles to town in July weather. I don't guess having long hair helped much.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Limited ecodiesel
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    I think all the driving with the drivers door open has a negative effect on fuel economy.
    This driver's door lockout is a real pain/change. I am sure I will adapt, but when you tow a bunch and just want to move the truck a foot or two to get the ball mount out of the receiver... ugh! The frustration is outrageous. I thought I broke something the first time it locked up the transmission. I have not dared to open my door while moving -- it might be like throwing the transmission in park while the truck is rolling. NOT A GOOD THING.

I had to test it a few times to figure out what was going on. Sure enough, it is like a sidestand interlock system on a motorcycle that will not let you start it unless you put the stand up or are in neutral... if the stand is down with the bike running in neutral, it kills it automatically if you put it in gear.

And to keep this post related to the original topic, I have to agree that after the first 300 miles or so is when I first noticed the problem with the 2nd gear to 3rd gear lag. It might be something that could be dangerous, but it is something that you can adapt understand. This issue is not there if you put your foot to the floor (in my experience). Rather it is during normal driving scenarios. I also do not believe it is limited to under 150 degrees. I was towing tonight and truck was definitely over 180 degrees and it did it with the tow/haul mode on. It will act differently if you are starting from a full stop. It acts differently when you turn from when you take off straight. It is very unnerving. However, when I put my foot down, the truck does respond. Is there a lag, yes, but that is to be expected in any case. What I do not understand is the text describing that all 17-18's are all this way. No they are not. I test drove several 2018's before buying my pre-owned 2015. Never did this dead-pedal feeling occur on those test drives and all of my test drives were from cold starts.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1435 times
    Deward , order yourself a few of these , around a dollar each , shipped to your house ,
    thanks to John Jensen for the link , I ordered 3 of those August 3rd , got them August 15th .
    clip it in , open your door and do what you want without the transmission going into Park.
    the hole in the clip is not the same shape as our truck's seat belt clip , but it worked perfect
    in my truck .
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/223515558906
    Havanajoe likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Lol. So it’s driven by the seatbelt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    shawclan5 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Havanajoe View Post
    Lol. So it’s driven by the seatbelt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guess they figured if you still have your seat belt on , you can open the door to move the truck ,
    without getting crushed by the vehicule , like that young Star Trek guy who got killed getting his mail
    while his grand Cherokee was not in Park .
    it is the run-around to this new security feature .
    Havanajoe likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    I find all of this uproar about lag to be interesting. I have had the AEM for about 10 days now. When I drove home, I was convinced that the performance had suffered, but thought that perhaps the computer had not yet adapted to my driving. I now have about 150 miles on the truck since the AEM and am convinced that the performance is better than before, perhaps only because it holds gears longer. But, I have no complaint about how it runs. On the other hand, it's too early to tell, but the mileage seems to have suffered and it will take a while to sort that out.

BTW, I have driven performance cars all my life and I don't have a numb foot. I would notice small changes in performance, if in fact there was one.
    The above describes my experience. I ran the stock ECM for several weeks after the AEM. My wife even took it on a long road trip with the kids. She's the world's most impatient person, so I would have heard about it if there was a horrible lag problem. That said, I've preached to her from day one to make sure the truck gets warmed up before driving normally, so maybe the fact she never complained shows she does take it easy like I do when it's cold. I sure hope so! She's on a another trip with the kids now in the truck, this time with the GDE tuned ECM. I'm just home working and making money - so she can take more trips - LOL.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    I guess they figured if you still have your seat belt on , you can open the door to move the truck ,
    without getting crushed by the vehicule , like that young Star Trek guy who got killed getting his mail
    while his grand Cherokee was not in Park .
    it is the run-around to this new security feature .
    I can not stand backing a trailer with my seatbelt on. I like looking over my shoulders.

Will order that un-safety latch. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Havanajoe View Post
    I can not stand backing a trailer with my seatbelt on. I like looking over my shoulders.

Will order that un-safety latch. Lol

Why not just buckle the seat belt behind you. Aka, get out, buckle the seat belt, and then get back in (sitting on/leaning on the seat belt). I see the car wash guys do that all the time so they don’t have to listen to the ding ding ding while they dry/detail the car after running it thru....
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel w/Ramboxes, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, Amp Research BedStep, Block heater grill plug, Custom Jumper cable grill plug, Mopar OEM running lights, Custom LED bed lights, Custom Rambox organizers, Putco Element chrome window visors, Recon LED tailgate light bar

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Machria View Post
    Why not just buckle the seat belt behind you. Aka, get out, buckle the seat belt, and then get back in (sitting on/leaning on the seat belt). I see the car wash guys do that all the time so they don’t have to listen to the ding ding ding while they dry/detail the car after running it thru....
    To many steps.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    420 times
    The lag is not specific to our 1500s.
    My neighbor replaced his 2006 3500 Cummins with a new 3500 crew cab, with the new carbon block Cummins and Aisin tranny.
    When I asked him how he liked it he said, Great! It's a much improved truck but I have to retrain myself driving it. I asked what he meant as he is a long time Cummins driver. He said it has this "lag", if I drive like I drove the old truck it has a couple of seconds lag. But if I roll in to it there is no lag and it performs beautifully.
    I found that interesting
    97hmcs likes this.
    ------------------ I hate politically correct ---------------- Tell it like it is ---------------- Be truthful ------------------
    2016, Ram 1500 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4x4, EcoDiesel, 3.55 Axle, Leer 100XR Shell on 5.7 bed
    2006, Ford F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0 Diesel, 3.73 Axle, Leer 180 Shell on 8' bed
    2005, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4x4, 4.0 Inline 6, Rock Crawler
    Dealer of ARCHOIL and PRI-D & PRI-G oil & fuel additive products

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links