Very interesting AEM dealership experience

This is a discussion on Very interesting AEM dealership experience within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; I don't mean for the title to be clickbait, but I had an experience at the dealership last week and I found it to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Very interesting AEM dealership experience

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    2 times

I don't mean for the title to be clickbait, but I had an experience at the dealership last week and I found it to be quite interesting and haven't read about anyone else with this experience.

I had the aem installed back in may, and I submitted my paperwork via snail mail. About two weeks ago, the dealer started calling me two to three times a day. I didnt answer because the only time I had been to that dealer was for the aem, and they didnt leave any message if i missed the call. I assumed they wanted to offer me a trade on a new truck, and I have no intention of selling.

On wednesday last week, I received a call from an fca district manager, named Robert, from a Florida number, and he told me that I would need to come into the dealership so they can download my ecu and send the data to headquarters, and I would have to do this before i could finalize my settlement. Now, i did have gde when i got the aem, and i did have it again when i went back in. I chose not to keep my ecu, figuring it was all done. I can confirm they did not reinstall the aem. They had my truck for an hour and the trip meter showed they had the ignition on for 40 minutes, but again, no new software. I also looked on torque and saw they did not do a regen either. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen too?? I understand that what they downloaded was the gde tune, and I probably would be ineligible for both the check and the warranty if they actually did what they said they would. I never mentioned the tune and they never asked. No words spoken on the subject at all. What do y'all think?
    2015 Laramie 4x4, GDE hot tune, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Weathertech mud flaps, 3.92 limited slip rear end, Delmonico red over silver, black leather interior, Laramie Limited steering wheel, alfaobd roll down windows from key fob, alfaobd led daytime running lights, glow plug port in rear bumper, Dee zee tailgate damper, under the bed rail LEDs activated by a tilt sensor in the tailgate, factory spray in bedliner, Continental tires, purchased used 04/17

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Keep us posted. That is very strange but since you let them they could very easily create Algorithms and compare millions of lines of code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I had a similar experience with my dealer. Had the AEM done on the 24th of May and kept waiting for the recall to show complete on the Mopar website. It never did, so after three weeks I started asking the dealership why they hadn't submitted. On the 1st of July they called and said they needed to rescan my truck to record the current software number. There is a requirement in the recall for the dealership to record the before and after software numbers and take a picture of the new sticker that they applied in order for them to properly submit and get paid for the recall. Took another two weeks before it showed as complete on the Mopar website.
    If you want to see the actual dealership recall instructions, go here; http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/rc_v0819.pdf.
    Kazimodo, John Jensen and Merlin30 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 Ecodiesel Laramie
    Liked
    13 times
    This also happened to me. mind you, I did not have GDE tune at the time. It was about 5 days in-between the initial update and the call back to bring the truck back in. I don't know what they did, they were not very clear, and I didn't push the issue They gave me a loner both times. Shortly after that my status changed to Complete. This was all in May. I have gotten the check since then.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raz175 View Post
    If you want to see the actual dealership recall instructions, go here; http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/rc_v0819.pdf.
    good stuff in there , but I did not see where the dealer is suppose to download your tune , for them to look over , prior to applying the AEM .

N 48° 38.680, W 080° 40.837 (Northern Ontario)
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 SLT, QC, Ram Box, Black Forest Green, Canyon Brown
    Liked
    351 times
    I sense from this thread that some are worried about FCA accessing the GDE tune software? Or, do I have that wrong?

I am pretty sure that FCA buys the latest version of every tune on the market, every time they update and researches them exhaustively, so I wouldn't worry about being the source. The only thing I'd worry about is if they know conclusively that you were running a tune of some kind, they might invalidate your new extended warranty when you need it, given that having the AEM tune done was a pre-requisite for receiving the new extended warranty?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1441 times
    I have read that before in here :
    post # 11 , by Perrysburg Dodgeboy in this thread :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...nt-dealer.html

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raz175 View Post
    I had a similar experience with my dealer. Had the AEM done on the 24th of May and kept waiting for the recall to show complete on the Mopar website. It never did, so after three weeks I started asking the dealership why they hadn't submitted. On the 1st of July they called and said they needed to rescan my truck to record the current software number. There is a requirement in the recall for the dealership to record the before and after software numbers and take a picture of the new sticker that they applied in order for them to properly submit and get paid for the recall. Took another two weeks before it showed as complete on the Mopar website.
    If this is the case, as long as gde used the current software number, which I believe they always do, we should have nothing to worry about. I don't believe fca is ignorant of gde, and I think as long as the aem is performed, they satisfy epa and carb agreements. They cannot control what the end user does afterwards. It would be an enormous expense for them to try to find everyone with any deviation from stock, and there's a chance they wouldn't find much. And look at it this way, I wont be complaining about lag anytime in the near future. It might be best to let folks like us quietly go our way. Could you imagine if carb and epa decided that all vehicles had to be brought back to the dealer to see if anything had changed? The world as we know it would end!

The dealer did put a new calibration sticker under my hood.
    2015 Laramie 4x4, GDE hot tune, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Weathertech mud flaps, 3.92 limited slip rear end, Delmonico red over silver, black leather interior, Laramie Limited steering wheel, alfaobd roll down windows from key fob, alfaobd led daytime running lights, glow plug port in rear bumper, Dee zee tailgate damper, under the bed rail LEDs activated by a tilt sensor in the tailgate, factory spray in bedliner, Continental tires, purchased used 04/17

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    good stuff in there , but I did not see where the dealer is suppose to download your tune , for them to look over , prior to applying the AEM .
    They don't download your tune, only the calibration numbers.

This is found under claim requirements on page 2;

You must take a clear, legible photo of the installed Recall label on the vehicle and download two Vehicle Scan Reports, one that displays the PCM and TCM calibration levels before completing the Recall, and another that displays the PCM and TCM calibrations levels after completing the Recall. For Warranty reimbursement, attach the photo and the two Vehicle Scan Reports to the claim and submit via RA to the Warranty Contact Center.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6865 times
    Believe I "read into the lines" and came to the conclusion that FCA has done some consulting with GDE on the tune issue.

Probably not anything either would admit but might deny. Just have gotten that impression from some reading by those corresponding with or about GDE. Have never heard of any issues related to that. May you NOT be the first.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links