AEM, WOT, Pedal to the metal, Floorboarding

This is a discussion on AEM, WOT, Pedal to the metal, Floorboarding within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; I've had the AEM done. It's been years since I was an aggressive driver. My current ED has had the throttle wide open on just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: AEM, WOT, Pedal to the metal, Floorboarding

N 48° 38.680, W 080° 40.837 (Northern Ontario)
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 SLT, QC, Ram Box, Black Forest Green, Canyon Brown
    Liked
    317 times

I've had the AEM done. It's been years since I was an aggressive driver. My current ED has had the throttle wide open on just one occasion, during an intake icing event that resulted in a derated turbo and a CEL. I learned then that part throttle and working with the load would overcome the derated turbo and allow better engine operation.

My truck has always had cold lag....always. Since the AEM update it is not better. There it is ... I have it and it's the same is it has always been.

I have always driven by rolling in on the throttle. Even cold, if I tap the throttle to get the engine moving, then roll in on the throttle as load builds, I can get into traffic and stay ahead of it with no trouble. Climbing hills ... tap it and then back off .... the engine will build the rpm and stay there if as long as I am not trying to mash the pedal down thru' the floorboards.

I have not found that this diesel engine runs like my gassers ... the gassers like lots of air and lots of fuel right off idle. They love big fat accelerator pumps and throttle valve plates parallel to the air flow. This truck doesn't. It likes to build and maintain load steadily.

For those who wonder about city driving ... yes, I live in the boonies, but I regularly visit my Mom in a city of about a million people with eight lane freeways and the usual on/off ramps etc ..... the truck runs fine, as long as I work with the load and don't try to bully it by tramping the pedal down.

That's my experience .... yours may vary.
    97hmcs and John Jensen like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 tradesman qc ed 4x4
    Liked
    23 times
    I agree. Roll in the throttle and it will go on demand hot or cold.
    97hmcs likes this.
    2016 TRADESMAN QUAD CAB, ED, 4X4, 6' 4" BED, 3.0 WITH CD, VENT SHADES, ALUM FUEL CAP, DEE ZEE LOW PROFILE TOOL BOX, SPRAY IN BED LINER, CROME BUMPERS AND STEPS

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn CrewCab 4x4 ED
    Liked
    5 times
    Same experience here. Since new, flooring it does nothing. It just stares at you for a second then goes.

I was taught to drive smoothly. Roll on the throttle, brake gently, set the vehicle before you go into a corner and gently accelerate out. Everything smooth.

I'm two weeks in with the AEM. The truck drives exactly the same, no difference other than it likes 7th gear over 8th more than before. My average mileage is exactly the same, 21.5 in Seattle traffic.

GDE tune arrives Monday
    97hmcs and Mopar73340 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    230 times
    John, I'm the same type of driver as you and that's how I have always driven this truck. Unfortunately the AEM has drastically changed that for some of us. We're talking about no acceleration for up to hundreds of feet before the engine surges...doesn't matter whether you're rolling on the throttle or not.

Count yourselves lucky...or us unlucky.
    TexasRam and tollmtn like this.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    John, I'm the same type of driver as you and that's how I have always driven this truck. Unfortunately the AEM has drastically changed that for some of us. We're talking about no acceleration for up to hundreds of feet before the engine surges...doesn't matter whether you're rolling on the throttle or not.

Count yourselves lucky...or us unlucky.
    You have my sympathy, and I assure you that my post is not meant as a criticism in any way of those who are reporting issues (I know you didn't suggest that either, but I want to be clear). It was to give another point of view, so that people who read these forums will know that not ALL of you are having problems. Both sides deserve to be heard. I wish you the best in your repair adventure. If a GDE tune can solve other people's problems, then that's the way to go. GDE seems to have a rock solid reputation to back up their product. Myself .... I'll wait for now and use up a couple of more years of my seven years of warranty

cheers
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn CrewCab 4x4 ED
    Liked
    5 times
    Something is definitely fishy with the AEM, such drastic differences in what owners are experiencing after the update. I was expecting the worst and came out smelling like a rose.

Is it related to vehicle mileage? Soot build up? My truck is at 32,000 miles, majority of the miles are on the highway. Does that produce less build up on the EGR tube?
    Last edited by eggwhyte; Yesterday at 01:56 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6635 times
    Many will profit from your throttle tip. Good.

Only thing about driving with the EGR working is ... the EGR is working. That is trouble for your engine and not easily cleaned and delt with. Hope yours can handle the next couple of years.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eggwhyte View Post
    Something is definitely fishy with the AEM, such drastic differences in what owners are experiencing after the update. I was expecting the worst and came out smelling like a rose.

Is it related to vehicle mileage? Soot build up? My truck is at 32,000 miles, majority of the miles are on the highway. Does that produce less build up on the EGR tube?
    I would guess that 75% or more of my driving is highway at 50 - 60 mph. My truck almost always runs long enough to get to full operating temperature and stay there for at least 10 or 15 minutes, usually longer. At least every two months it goes on a 500 mile (one way, so 1000 miles total) highway trip with cruise on at 60mph. My tailpipe is almost soot free.

I agree ... the disparity between AEM results is pretty screwy.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2371 times
    I have the same experience as OP

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eggwhyte View Post

Most of my miles are highway, local 2 lane roads here are mostly 70 MPH freeway 80 MPH, I drive the speed limit. When I pulled my EGR tube at 25,000 miles the soot on the end of the EGR tube was approximately 3/16" thick. My assumption, everything I couldn't see likely looks the same. GDE and delete now so hopefully it is stable from here on out.
    Last edited by tollmtn; Today at 07:36 AM.
    97hmcs likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links