EcoDiesel has ED - Page 2

EcoDiesel has ED

This is a discussion on EcoDiesel has ED within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Originally Posted by VernDiesel OP for how you drive and that you liked the truck I would take some of that settlement money and invest ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: EcoDiesel has ED

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 RAM 1500 Lone Star CC
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    OP for how you drive and that you liked the truck I would take some of that settlement money and invest in both tunes since the AEM messes up both the ECM & TCM tunes. You will like the truck better than ever before. Better mileage more power clean oil less check engine lights etc etc etc. Even with 3.92s I can run 80 mph all day and average 23 sometimes 24 mpg. Hot Texas temps and longer drive times I wouldnít be worried about intake soot but maybe thatís just me.

I donít know what mileage you have but I had about 350,000 on mine before I started having issues. Then again I had it tuned at 30k and have long hot duty cycle or run times towing TTs etc.
    And there is a key concept . . . "hot Texas temps and longer drive times I wouldn't be worried about intake soot . . ."

July 2 we bought our used 2018 ED with 21,602 n the OD at the time. Having studied up on potential issues by reading this forum I carefully watched how the truck behaved when test driving. All good. And since the purchase we have continued to enjoy good experiences. I've been watching various engine temps and regen cycles with our Scanguage - and obviously using the truck's available gauges, also.

Based on our location in the far suburbs of Houston, just about anywhere we drive for anything gets our temps up for oil, coolant and above mentioned others. We are getting 26-28 mpg (hand calculated) for most of our driving. Towing our 4,700+ lb travel trailer returned 14.1 in rolling hills in east Texas. We have an upcoming 3,000 mile towing trip in the fall.

All good so far. But, I'm very aware of the ticking time bomb references other drivers have reported. Given that our 2018 is outside of the whole cash settlement deal, we are still running stock for now. For lots of reasons, any tune will not occur until next year. Meanwhile, are our driving habits/experiences likely to prevent/mitigate/postpone (insert your preferred qualifier here!) getting this engine choked down?

I know there is no way to know for sure, but are there any metrics anywhere that display a correlation between driving habits and these engines developing problems?

We love this truck so far, and we want to keep it for a while as our tow vehicle and the truck for running around the Houston metro area (think gobs of freeway driving).

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EcoDiesel has ED-img_6996.jpg
    TwoBobs and SlowrTrfcKeepRght like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    191 times
    Do yourself a favour and get GDE as soon as possible. In the mean time clean your MAP sensor. There is complete info on the procedure in the Maintenance area of the forum. Search is your friend. Don't be too shocked by what you see or you will want GDE sooner than later as after GDE you will not see this again.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1413 times

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    I understand the ED because I am old. What I do not understand is people who have been on this forum, read about GDE, learn the benefits and do nothing.

If you waited this long, sooted your motor to choking death, got the AEM and still did nothing, sell it and get something else. I have GDE and a pill that works for ED. I'm ugly, not stupid.
    Ha ha. So glad you're still on this forum, Captain, because you didn't bite on that Cummins with the manual transmission a while back.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6813 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeson View Post
    Ha ha. So glad you're still on this forum, Captain, because you didn't bite on that Cummins with the manual transmission a while back.
    You were reading before you joined. That's cheating. Glad you joined 'cause in this world there are no free rides.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    214 times
    Last Train...

If you really want your truck to last you need to get rid of that EGR, either by a physical delete or by electronically turning it off, ie; GDE tune.

No amount of "correct" driving will stop the engine from breathing its own waste which fouls the intake, the sensors and ultimately your oil and bearings.
    Last Train likes this.

RAM Jr Member SlowrTrfcKeepRght's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel 4x4
    Liked
    17 times
    Thanks for the update, it now makes sense. I take like the exchange of opinions and ideas.

My truck has just less than 130k on it. I'll look at pulling the EGR and MAP checking the soot.

Over the last 20 months, as I stated driving 150 miles plus to work and back and in Dallas heat. I've used Hotshot diesel extreme, which I'll say I like. I'm not easily swayed. Anyway...

I get what you are saying about soot build up. However, I can't see it being as drastic as you mentioned. Ticking Time Bomb...

You make it sound that if early on no performance tune the truck begins early on its way to death. I don't know about EcoDiesel longevity, diesels have been known for lasting millions of miles... All before any major time or clean up.

I can't really see any poor performance from the truck. It's only that Ram just like Volkswagen lied, cheating the system. My issue is that and now my truck doesn't run like it did before the recall.

I think once I see the $$ from the settlement, I'll buy the complete GDE engine and transmission tunes. I like trucks to work for their keep. I'm disappointed that I need the aftermarket upgrade.

Thanks to everyone!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    214 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowrTrfcKeepRght View Post

I get what you are saying about soot build up. However, I can't see it being as drastic as you mentioned. Ticking Time Bomb...

You make it sound that if early on no performance tune the truck begins early on its way to death. I don't know about EcoDiesel longevity, diesels have been known for lasting millions of miles... All before any major time or clean up.

I can't really see any poor performance from the truck. It's only that Ram just like Volkswagen lied, cheating the system. My issue is that and now my truck doesn't run like it did before the recall.
    I don't intend to be an alarmist, but after going through the issues that I had with my truck, it became quickly apparent that the EcoDiesel was going to be different than most other diesels. It is true that diesels last a long time. I grew up on a large farm and that is all we had. I also drive semi part time for my brother's farm and the truck I drive has somewhere in the neighborhood of 800,000 miles on it. Runs great.

The difference is that none of those diesels have an EGR that feeds the exhaust back into the intake. This ED does just that, and the soot ends up in the intake, around the swirl valves, around the intake valves and ultimately in the cylinders and their liners. Every mile that one drives their ED without a tune, those deposits are building up and they are very difficult if not impossible to remove. I am not trying to use it as a scare tactic or anything of the sort, but this EGR situation is nothing but BAD for this little motor.

Attached are some pictures of my intake at 83,000 miles before a tune. The dealer ended up installing a new intake for me on their dime.

EcoDiesel has ED-20180712_111255-small-.jpg
    EcoDiesel has ED-20180712_111300-small-.jpg
    EcoDiesel has ED-20180712_111308-small.jpg

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    237 times
    And it's not just Ram who has these issues with the EGR and soot buildup. All the other manufacturers have been forced to use an EGR in their diesels - that includes Ram and the VM Motori Ecodiesel, Cummins in the HD trucks, all GM diesels including the new baby Duramax, and all the Powerstrokes from Ford including the new 3.0 baby Powerstroke.

The EPA is working overtime to destroy the diesel market...

Bob
    Kazimodo likes this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 ECO Diesel
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the same problem, I drive about 200 miles each weekend. I use to get 24 to 26 mpg on the highway and 22 to 24 in town, after the recall the truck canít get out of itís own way and the mileage is down 2 to 3 mpg. Very disappointing, not the truck I purchased.
    SlowrTrfcKeepRght likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links