Did a Recall Ruin the 2016 Ram EcoDiesel? We Drive One and Find Out! - Page 4

Did a Recall Ruin the 2016 Ram EcoDiesel? We Drive One and Find Out!

This is a discussion on Did a Recall Ruin the 2016 Ram EcoDiesel? We Drive One and Find Out! within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Originally Posted by MAS Odd you report a louder engine/knock on the stock tune while almost every other user reports the truck is louder with ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Did a Recall Ruin the 2016 Ram EcoDiesel? We Drive One and Find Out!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Odd you report a louder engine/knock on the stock tune while almost every other user reports the truck is louder with GDE, me included.
    to be more specific, only at first start up and not in cold (winter temps). It seemed to me that maybe it took longer for the oil to circulate through the motor causing the more rattle sound like the older diesels??? I have the cold weather idle in my GDE tune, and in the winter, because it idles higher, it does tend to be noisier as it tries to warm up the engine faster. I was referencing right when I start it for about the first 30secs. it seems like post AEM before GDE put back in it sounded like it rattled more at first start.

The other thing I definitely noticed "different" between the GDE and post AEM is the turbo sound was different. With the stock AEM tune it sounded like the turbo "howled" more where with the GDE tune it's more of a "whistle" sound.....obviously not a scientific difference noted by some device, but just a different sound noted with the windows rolled down in the summer weather.
    2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel, towing package, convenience package, cold weather package, spray bed liner, side steps, NAV, ARE Fiberglass Topper (for the dogs), Weatherguard custom floormats

Member #
    Liked
    161 times
    There seems to be an abundant number of ED owners in the youtube comment section acknowledging the owner's experience.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSky View Post
    There seems to be an abundant number of ED owners in the youtube comment section acknowledging the owner's experience.
    I don't question his experience with the lag in the video. My truck had horrible lag after the AEM. My questions about this video is without a test video of the trucks pre AEM performance it's not really a comparison. My biggest gripe is the owner bought the truck with the AEM update already installed in the truck. So if you test drove the truck you'd know about the lag issue before purchasing it. So why buy it then complain about it after you purchased the truck. I can understand being upset if you owned the truck without AEM drove it without issues. Then turned around had the AEM update and got the truck back with lag and performance issues.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

TLR
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Laramie
    I am new to the forum. Own a 15 Ram 1500 Laramie. I have also been experiencing severe turbo lag/unresponsive acceleration since have the AEM performed at my local dealer in May. This occurs when the engine is cold and in my opinion creates a very real safety hazard. Once the engine is warm It’s not nearly as severe. When I reported this to the service department at my dealer I was told the following

“That’s just the way it is”
    “There is no fix”
    “You shouldn’t have had the AEM done”

I am beyond frustrated. For what it’s worth I reported this to Ram Customer Care (as I’m sure many others have) with no solution from them.

I’m not a mechanic but have seen post referencing a GED tune up? Don’t know if this would fix this problem.

Not sure if waiting for FIAT to address it is an option. It appears plenty of RAM owners are experiencing the same issue.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4682 times
    Yes GDE tune and the truck will be better than ever!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My 2015 has 135k miles. It's a total dog after the AEM update, like the first half of pedal travel is non-existent. It sucks to get left dangling halfway getting into traffic, and then have to floor it. I did it to get the new extended warranty and settlement money.

I've already made the call and help is on the way...

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    They can come and test drive mine and they can keep on going

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Why did they choose this truck? The owner has no experience with it prior to the AEM being installed so doesn't know if it's behaving the same. Also his estimate of lag time is overstated
    not over stated in the least... very much understated.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Yes GDE tune and the truck will be better than ever!
    Actually, do we have any/a few confirmations by folks who's truck was broke after the AEM that GDE fixed all the issues? I'm not talking about folks who immediately re-installed GDE, but folks who decided to order GDE after experiencing the poor performance.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4682 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
    Actually, do we have any/a few confirmations by folks who's truck was broke after the AEM that GDE fixed all the issues? I'm not talking about folks who immediately re-installed GDE, but folks who decided to order GDE after experiencing the poor performance.
    Bill, I haven't heard any complaints from those who went with GDE for the first time after the AEM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links