Any new class action being discussed.

This is a discussion on Any new class action being discussed. within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; The way I see this whole AEM mess is like this: I (we) bought a truck that is supposed to be: Environmentally friendly (whatever that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Any new class action being discussed.

Member #

The way I see this whole AEM mess is like this:

I (we) bought a truck that is supposed to be:

• Environmentally friendly (whatever that means)
    • Fuel efficient (like it was before the AEM)
    • Powerful (enough power to make it a good tow vehicle and, ultimately as powerful as it was when I test drove it)
    • Safe to drive (no lag)

Ram KNOWINGLY committed fraud when it sold us vehicles with rigged computers. They gave us the economy, power and safety we expected but not the "eco friendly" bit.

When they got caught, we were told by Ram that they could fix the eco friendly bit without harming fuel efficiency, power and safety. This was also a lie.

The "repair" got the eco bit right at the expense of fuel efficiency and safety. And, as far as I'm concerned, the lag on my truck is a safety issue.

That's not what I bought. That's not what I want. And Ram cannot offer a workable solution to give me what they claimed I was buying.

Now, I could yank out all the emissions stuff. But that would be illegal and void every last bit of warranty I have, not to mention destroy what little resale value is left after this mess they have made. That's not an acceptable option.

I could also (apparently) spend a bunch of money on a tune. That's not something I know a lot about. And what little I do know is that, by restoring the fuel efficiency, power and safety by sacrificing the "eco friendly" nature of the vehicle I was supposedly buying. Might this still be the best real-world solution? Perhaps. But why/how is this OK?

It seems to me that if Ram cannot provide me (us) with the vehicle it purported to sell me, then they should have no choice but to allow the sale to be undone. This is what happened when VW pulled the same stunt and seems like the only correct solution.

I'm going to pursue FCA along these lines and take it as far as I can go with it, but I'm afraid that isn't very far since most companies only care about doing the right thing if they are compelled to do so.

In the meantime, has anyone heard of any other class action activity along these lines? It seems at the very least, making our vehicles unsafe and offering no solution is a completely different kettle of fish than just lying to us about emissions and compensating us for the trouble.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Are you a lawyer ?
    Your gonna go broke and exhausted fighting this long before the FCA. There's not a big enough group of people with post AEM problems for lawyers to make enough easy money off of to care. Even if they get enough people to peak a ambulance chasers interest the odds are it will be years down the road before it's settled. The odds of owning the truck still are slim. Unless your in California why not just tune it and keep all the emissions stuff intact along with the warranty. They already gave owners 3 grand with extended warranty. To me seems like they did their best to make it right and no matter the outcome your not gonna be happy about it anyway. That 3 grand pays for a GDE tune multiple times and more. The warranty covers most of the stuff that's spendy to replace. Life's to short to me. Ether tune it or sell it and move on. This is coming from a guy that experienced the AEM problems. My egr cooler went out they replaced it free. Had sensors in the emission system go out they fixed it free. The lag issues I had them. So ya know what I did I spent 850$ plus 500$ to keep my stock ecu that you don't have to and I bought a tune and moved on.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    Well I agree there's some additional lag when cold. I'm not buying the big decrease in fuel economy though. To say it's unsafe is a far stretch of the imagination.
    MAS, Dieselfever, Anomaly and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1561 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Well I agree there's some additional lag when cold. I'm not buying the big decrease in fuel economy though. To say it's unsafe is a far stretch of the imagination.
    I like this statement so much I had to quote it too!

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1561 times
    The safe to drive statement is 100% pure BS.
    97hmcs and Anomaly like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2440 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eljugador View Post
    The way I see this whole AEM mess is like this:

I (we) bought a truck that is supposed to be:

• Environmentally friendly (whatever that means)
    • Fuel efficient (like it was before the AEM)
    • Powerful (enough power to make it a good tow vehicle and, ultimately as powerful as it was when I test drove it)
    • Safe to drive (no lag)

Ram KNOWINGLY committed fraud when it sold us vehicles with rigged computers. They gave us the economy, power and safety we expected but not the "eco friendly" bit.

When they got caught, we were told by Ram that they could fix the eco friendly bit without harming fuel efficiency, power and safety. This was also a lie.

The "repair" got the eco bit right at the expense of fuel efficiency and safety. And, as far as I'm concerned, the lag on my truck is a safety issue.

That's not what I bought. That's not what I want. And Ram cannot offer a workable solution to give me what they claimed I was buying.

Now, I could yank out all the emissions stuff. But that would be illegal and void every last bit of warranty I have, not to mention destroy what little resale value is left after this mess they have made. That's not an acceptable option.

I could also (apparently) spend a bunch of money on a tune. That's not something I know a lot about. And what little I do know is that, by restoring the fuel efficiency, power and safety by sacrificing the "eco friendly" nature of the vehicle I was supposedly buying. Might this still be the best real-world solution? Perhaps. But why/how is this OK?

It seems to me that if Ram cannot provide me (us) with the vehicle it purported to sell me, then they should have no choice but to allow the sale to be undone. This is what happened when VW pulled the same stunt and seems like the only correct solution.

I'm going to pursue FCA along these lines and take it as far as I can go with it, but I'm afraid that isn't very far since most companies only care about doing the right thing if they are compelled to do so.

In the meantime, has anyone heard of any other class action activity along these lines? It seems at the very least, making our vehicles unsafe and offering no solution is a completely different kettle of fish than just lying to us about emissions and compensating us for the trouble.
    It’s been real quiet around here about class action lawsuits, maybe you should look into getting one started ....
    Last edited by Haul N Grass; 09-04-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    MAS and GRIFF4 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    It’s been real quiet around here about class action suits, maybe you should look into getting one started ....
    I did hear mention of going with a business suit instead of a casual suit.
    3DHawkeye, Thermorex and GRIFF4 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    A big drop in mpg I couldn't say I didn't have the AEM tune in long enough to know lol.
    I am sure some people may see it. I am not sure so I won't say it's rubbish. The being completely shocked the first time pulling into traffic and it falling on its face leaving the dealer definitely happened. Did I see god and have him wink at me ? No I didn't. Did I change how I drove it until I tuned It ? You bet your ass lol. Could i have gotten used to driving it that way ? Probably but why GDE makes a tune for it lol.
    Kazimodo and 97hmcs like this.

Member #
    I experienced a 3-4 mpg drop in fuel economy. That's nearly 20%. I consider that a problem. As for the safety aspect of the lag, I shall remember the wise and learned opinion of a few random guys on the Internet the next time I'm in the middle of a traffic circle wondering if the truck will start to move before the guy heading right for me hits me and remind myself that my feeling if imminent danger is a stretch.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eljugador View Post
    I experienced a 3-4 mpg drop in fuel economy. That's nearly 20%. I consider that a problem. As for the safety aspect of the lag, I shall remember the wise and learned opinion of a few random guys on the Internet the next time I'm in the middle of a traffic circle wondering if the truck will start to move before the guy heading right for me hits me and remind myself that my feeling if imminent danger is a stretch.
    Seriously?
    MAS likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links