Any reason not to wait on AEM?

This is a discussion on Any reason not to wait on AEM? within the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) forums, part of the FCA/EPA 3.0L Diesel Settlement and AEM category; Hi folks. Great community you have here. I bought a cherry 2016 Laramie with 30k miles a few months back. I absolutely love the truck ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jsmo
  • 1 Post By GlockandRoll

Thread: Any reason not to wait on AEM?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hi folks. Great community you have here. I bought a cherry 2016 Laramie with 30k miles a few months back. I absolutely love the truck and would like to keep it until it dies. I have the AEM scheduled for Wednesday and am considering canceling the appointment. Being my mileage is so low, 34k, I’m thinking I should wait as long as possible to perform the AEM. Is my logic sound? Negatives?

Additionally, am I understanding correctly that the AEM can be undone with a GDE tune of engine and trans? As in no possible negative effects from AEM? Will that be an issue with emissions testing for inspection sticker? Or void the warranty?

I know the answers can be found in this forum but I’m on Information overload reading the posts. It would be a great benefit to hear what steps some the eco-deisel educated people would take in my shoes.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1708 times
    My recommendation, order the GDE hot tune and trans tune, have them waiting at home for install as soon as possible after the AEM is completed. Also send in the paperwork required for the settlement money.

Any tune can void your warranty, but the GDE tunes are not being detected. Either the dealers aren't looking, or they're not readily visible, or both. Mine haven't been detected in the 85k I've been tuned.

The tunes will transform your truck from what you currently know. Makes it so much more drive-able.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey, thanks for taking the time Bounty. It’s greatly appreciated. After your words and a bit more research, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.
    Bounty Hunter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    423 times
    "I’m thinking I should wait as long as possible to perform the AEM. Is my logic sound? Negatives?"

Your logic is sound. My Service Manager suggests waiting as long as possible. Primarily because there are strong rumors that FCA will be changing the AEM update. The only negative is you don't get your check until you do the AEM upgrade, etc.

On the other hand if you are going to tune right after the AEM update go ahead and get it done. The sooner the AEM the sooner you collect, if you are eligible.

Unless you've already decided on the GDE tune you should look at the SFT tunes as well.
    Here is a comparison of the two:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ------------------ I hate politically correct ---------------- Tell it like it is ---------------- Be truthful ------------------
    2016, Ram 1500 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4x4, EcoDiesel, 3.55 Axle, Leer 100XR Shell on 5.7 bed
    2006, Ford F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0 Diesel, 3.73 Axle, Leer 180 Shell on 8' bed
    2005, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4x4, 4.0 Inline 6, Rock Crawler
    Dealer of ARCHOIL and PRI-D & PRI-G oil & fuel additive products

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3757 times
    I second that get both tunes in hand then go get the AEM. To me the sooner the better because its better to get the EGR turned off sooner as well as pilot & post injection and better regen management. If you tow you might additionally consider the turbo brake, thermostat, lol Timbergrove axle to frame bags Andersen WDH hahaha well fix you up. .

Especially tuned we love our Ecodiesels too. Welcome to the forum. These things need a lil help & understanding to become a great truck and ownership experience. If not the government mandated emissions system can sink them. I too hope to get a lot of miles out of mine. Invite a fellow ED enthusiast.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jensen View Post
    "I’m thinking I should wait as long as possible to perform the AEM. Is my logic sound? Negatives?"

Your logic is sound. My Service Manager suggests waiting as long as possible. Primarily because there are strong rumors that FCA will be changing the AEM update. The only negative is you don't get your check until you do the AEM upgrade, etc.

On the other hand if you are going to tune right after the AEM update go ahead and get it done. The sooner the AEM the sooner you collect, if you are eligible.

Unless you've already decided on the GDE tune you should look at the SFT tunes as well.
    Here is a comparison of the two:

My thoughts exactly, and this is what not 1 but 2 different service advisors told me!
    John Jensen likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Eco
    Liked
    75 times
    I had the recall done on Monday. Dropped it off before work and picked it up on my way home. I did order GDE engine and transmission tunes last week. They have not arrived yet. However, after picking it up and driving it home I noticed the lag that everyone is talking about, but it only happened ONCE. I can honestly say that right now my truck is running/driving better than it ever has. I only have a few miles on it but watching the instant MPG, it seems to have gone up 1 or 2 mpg on my normal route to work. I'm really happy with the tune (well, at least I'm not disappointed with it). I'll be super happy if GDE out performs what I have now. My normal instant MPG on the way to work is 21. That's flat ground, CC on at 73 for about 10 miles on the freeway. Today it was bouncing around 22-23 mpg. Sure hope it will go up some more as this truck as always been well under the normal MPG.

In short, if your truck was anything like mine, do it right away.

Sponsored Links