OBD Flash Tool for engine...interest?

This is a discussion on OBD Flash Tool for engine...interest? within the Green Diesel Engineering forums, part of the Vendors category; We wanted to gauge the interest for having an OBD flash tool for the engine on the ecodiesel. Several companies have come out with OBD ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: OBD Flash Tool for engine...interest?

GDE
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel 3.92axle 4x4
    Liked
    2527 times

We wanted to gauge the interest for having an OBD flash tool for the engine on the ecodiesel. Several companies have come out with OBD flash tools in the last couple months. We use Alientech PG3+ tool on the transmission now.

This last week we got our tool to read/write engine tunes. The protocols are still being finalized, but technically we could already be selling them. The tool is $195.

Downsides
    1. added cost
    2. the tool can only do one module, so two tools would be needed for engine and trans.
    3. upcoming recall will be new engine and trans software coding. Could be new encryption from FCA and tools may no longer work, this is an unknown.
    4. requires a pc running windows and some computer skills

Upsides
    1. no shipping ecms, cuts shipping cost
    2. Can have multiple tunes and switch as desired.
    3. Opens up new tuning options as we will be developing on the fly switches for engine brake, possibly overboost or high idle switch, etc.

We are working with Alientech to see if they can modify the tool software to allow for tuning two modules with one tool. This would be a game changer and cost saver.

Let us know your thoughts. Thanks GDE
    Ransom, Ram1, ehart814 and 6 others like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    859 times
    Would definitely be interested if one tool could do both jobs. Still would be interested for the engine tune but Will have to wait until the upcoming recall to see what develops. No point in buying now only to have it no longer work after the recall.
    Sasquatchilly likes this.
    2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    521 times
    Tweaking the current tool would be awesome even if it requires a fee to do so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    RAM 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 Ecodiesel 2015
    Liked
    75 times
    It would be nice to go from stock to the GDE tune and back to stock for dealership visit. A lot better than buying an extra ECU and swapping it. It would definitely be better if it can do two modules.
    Jinx, cobrajr, HYDREX and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am in as soon as it’s available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    The biggest problem I have with getting the Ecodiesel Hot Tune which I need ASAP is the down time I live in Canada in the Vancouver area so I'm looking at riding a bike around for 2 weeks if everything works out the way it is supposed to otherwise longer. I would love to be able to install the Hot tune myself and add various upgrades as they become available via e-mail so put me on your list and if you need a Rep. up this way let me know.

GDE
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel 3.92axle 4x4
    Liked
    2527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat Koce View Post
    It would be nice to go from stock to the GDE tune and back to stock for dealership visit. A lot better than buying an extra ECU and swapping it. It would definitely be better if it can do two modules.
    The flash tool leaves a footprint via flash counter, this could be an issue with warranty if dealer checks it. That is a benefit for bench flashing ecms, not change in flash counter.

dub
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Big Horn, CC, 6'4"bed
    Liked
    272 times
    Yes. Interest.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Eco Diesel, Tradesman, Crew Cab, 4x4
    Liked
    93 times
    Would this change the price of the base tune because you wouldn't have the manpower invested in receiving, handling, tracking and shipping ECMs? Or would those costs be transferred to setting up the tool for a specific customer? What is the anticipated pricing structure, e.g., basic tune + any add-ons + the tool + shipping?

All said and done, it's a very attractive proposition and I could be interested.
    Jinx and Sasquatchilly like this.
    2015 ED Tradesman 4x4, 3.92 limited slip diff, trailer brake module, trailer tow mirrors, running boards, roll up tonneau cover, Air Lift 1000 rear coil spring air bags, spray in bed liner. Original owner 32,000+ miles.
    20 foot Dune Sport custom toy hauler @ about 4,560 lbs empty, with WD hitch and sway bar.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1061 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GDE View Post
    The flash tool leaves a footprint via flash counter, this could be an issue with warranty if dealer checks it. That is a benefit for bench flashing ecms, not change in flash counter.
    I have separate ecms... One stock, one gde.. I am definitely interested... Depends on details.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links