Thoughts

Thoughts

This is a discussion on Thoughts within the Green Diesel Engineering forums, part of the Vendors category; GDE, I'm wondering about your thoughts on the following statement from another thread concerning dealer detection of swapping an ECM. Thanks in advance. Don't believe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thoughts

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4379 times

Thoughts

GDE, I'm wondering about your thoughts on the following statement from another thread concerning dealer detection of swapping an ECM. Thanks in advance.

Don't believe what you read, data is stored in many places on the vehicle, Swapping ECM/ECU/PCM will not changed it ,Ram will know the data is not matching, Busted, Your much better off sending Your unit to GDE and reinstalling, let them (Dealer /Ram) flash right over the GDE tune and pay the $50.00 later, that way the data will always match. The only way to get around this is the Jail Break and its NOT available at this time and seems like it will be 3+ years before its released.

Original thread: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...ove-ecm-4.html

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I used to have my challenger tuned and use to flash it back to the stock any time i took it in for service. My service manager pulled me aside one day and let me know that he knew, and that it would cause issues if there were a major warranty claim. The ECU is not the only computer one board these trucks. No a days, it is almost impossible to to fool the dealers, and even more FCA. These companies are smart enough to figure out when they are loosing money. \

With that being said, it is also up to the dealer to prove that any mod is the cause for the malfunction. they cannot say, well you tuned it so thats why your wheel fell off. There has to be proof that it caused the error. A blown motor is a pretty easy jump from tuning though. Just know you have to pay to play.!!!

Member #
    Vehicle
    '17 3500 Laramie DRW C/C CTD
    Liked
    721 times
    With a GDE tune the dealer and FCA is not loosing money. They are probably making money by not paying out on warrantee issues like they would without the tune.
    ram2 likes this.
    2017 3500 Laramie CTD dually 4WD 68RFE 4.10's

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by schmeg View Post
    With a GDE tune the dealer and FCA is not loosing money. They are probably making money by not paying out on warrantee issues like they would without the tune.
    If corporations followed your logic, there'd be no legal defense in place for them in the event they did find out.

Member #
    Vehicle
    14. ECD QC Tradesman
    Liked
    1026 times
    Not knowing where the falls in this....that's why I have chosen to not do any " internal" mods until after the warranty expires. I can survive without a tune.
    14 ECD QC Tradesman 4x4, anti - spin, full tow pkg, Dee-Zee running boards , Jeraco fiberglass topper.

Retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer . Penndot 3rd Party CDL Driver Examiner.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '17 3500 Laramie DRW C/C CTD
    Liked
    721 times
    A tune is not an "internal mod" but I get your point. It's a catch 22 situation. Without a tune you stand a fair chance of using your warrentee. With a tune you stand much less of a chance in the first place. I went with the tune because I didn't want to see what the inside of my engine looked like at 100k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 3500 Laramie CTD dually 4WD 68RFE 4.10's

GDE
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel 3.92axle 4x4
    Liked
    2560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    GDE, I'm wondering about your thoughts on the following statement from another thread concerning dealer detection of swapping an ECM. Thanks in advance.

Don't believe what you read, data is stored in many places on the vehicle, Swapping ECM/ECU/PCM will not changed it ,Ram will know the data is not matching, Busted, Your much better off sending Your unit to GDE and reinstalling, let them (Dealer /Ram) flash right over the GDE tune and pay the $50.00 later, that way the data will always match. The only way to get around this is the Jail Break and its NOT available at this time and seems like it will be 3+ years before its released.

Original thread: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...ove-ecm-4.html
    Whether you use the stock ecm for tuning or a clone, the data will be the same inside the ecm. ECMs do have serial numbers, but we have never seen a Chrysler dealer check this on an ecodiesel. Even if they start, just tell the dealer you had an ecm failure and had to replace it. I guess ft it is a show stopper, just wait until the warranty period is over before tuning.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Tradesman Reg Cab 4x4
    Liked
    24 times
    If someone sends their ECM in to be tuned, GDE will send back their exact ECM? So that would alleviate the serial number concern.

Someone also brought up a while back key count info being stored somewhere as well that got reset when an ECM was reflashed and was a red flag to dealers on older Cummins trucks. Is that a potential issue here as well?

Guess it would be hard to tell what would happen until someone actually goes in for a major warranty claim with a tuned ECM. And even that may vary dealer to dealer and situation to situation.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie QC 4X4 Granite Crystal 3.55
    Liked
    230 times
    with as many of our trucks that are tuned... it probably is worth mentioning that not a lot of GDE trucks that are having to have major engine work completed...
    2015 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Quad Cab 4x4 Granite Crystal with Black Leather interior. Edge CTS gauges, GDE Tuned, 20% tint. Plasti Dipped Emblems, LED CARGO, LED LICENSE,
    Former truck: 2007 3500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4 SRW 6 speed manual.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Tradesman Reg Cab 4x4
    Liked
    24 times
    What does a GDE tune do to increase reliability and decrease likelihood of a warranty claim aside from a carbon build up issue by turning off EGR? I am sold on the EGR part - but I don't believe that the tune will have an affect one way or the other if there is some internal defect waiting to rear it's ugly head... other than to provide a reason for FCA to deny your warranty claim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links