New 2015 SLT Owner

New 2015 SLT Owner

This is a discussion on New 2015 SLT Owner within the Introductions forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel category; Just picked up my new used 2015 SLT crew cab. Drove it up from Miami to VA last week. Loved it. Smooth ride, plenty of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bounty Hunter

Thread: New 2015 SLT Owner

Member #

Exclamation New 2015 SLT Owner

Just picked up my new used 2015 SLT crew cab. Drove it up from Miami to VA last week. Loved it. Smooth ride, plenty of acceleration, and avg 26 MPG. Not bad. While in Savannah I used the e-brake for the first time. In the morning when I released the brake I noticed the cable hanging down, a lot. I took it to NOB Norfolk Auto Skills shop. Lifted it and removed the rotors from the back tires. I then soaked the e-brake mechanism with Blaster penetrant. I could not get the actuator arms to move at all. I am taking it to a shop today unless I hear of a different fix. I tried for about 2 hours to get the actuators to move freely. No luck.

Then yesterday I went to put on seat covers for the back bench seat but couldn't get them to fold down. The strap to actuate the release would not budge. I went on line and found all these different fixes, ( add spacers and lift the seat, grind down the latch catch in the back of the seat). It seemed like a common problem with the 1500 crewcab. So my question is am I doing something wrong or are the back seats defective? If so, is there a better fix than what I read on line. And why hasn't there been a recall to fix this problem if it seems so common?

I know, lots of questions for a new user of the site. Thanks for any responses.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4369 times
    Welcome to the forum.

The back seats do not fold down from the factory. There are modifications like those you found that will allow the seat backs to fold.

Are the e-brakes stuck on? The cable does typically hang down quite a bit,

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

The back seats do not fold down from the factory. There are modifications like those you found that will allow the seat backs to fold.

Are the e-brakes stuck on? The cable does typically hang down quite a bit,
    Oh. That's funny. The 1500 I bought came down from Quebec, CA. The owner's manual was in French so I couldn't read it. That would have saved me a bunch of time and cussing had I know the seats didn't fold down. Now I do. Thanks! But why are there those 2 straps behind the seats?

The brakes don't engage with the e-brake pedal pushed all the way to the floor. So they must be stuck in the off position.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4369 times
    I believe the straps are to fasten a car seat and yes sounds like an issue wit the e-brake.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    438 times
    As for your e-brakes being stuck, doing an annual brake service and clean up may be worth the money, $100 for front, $100 for back. If you have the tools, you can do it yourself. There's lots of on line videos to show you how.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    Ebrakes often fail if you don't use them. Years ago, Ford pickups typically would stick on when you tried to use. Salt related. I know, my dad and brother would never use the Ebrakes in their Fords. Congrats on the new/used Ram.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1553 times
    Some Ram1500 owners have had to tap the e-brake lever at the backing plate with a hammer for it to release. Only a temp fix.
    Patroller8D likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    438 times
    By all rights, the mechanism should be the same as on a 2500 for the e-brake. 2 spots they get hung up on are the pivot point that the brake cable attaches to and rust between the pivot arm and backing plate. Been there, done that. What Hydrex said above is true, you have to use them to keep stuff moving and crud/rust from building up.

Sponsored Links