Hey everyone an intro with a question - Page 2

Hey everyone an intro with a question

This is a discussion on Hey everyone an intro with a question within the Introductions forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel category; Yes I’ve done that over a number of tries, the last time I worked it, it felt as if there is so much buildup on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hey everyone an intro with a question

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yes I’ve done that over a number of tries, the last time I worked it, it felt as if there is so much buildup on the the tip of the plug that it can’t back out. Since time is no longer a luxury with the emissions test coming up its time to bite the bullet unfortunately

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just wanted to provide a quick update on this...torn down to the timing chains, the aftermarket cam tools I purchased did not align properly so I'm waiting on tools from Mopar Essentials before I can proceed. I have about 10-12 hours into it so far which includes figuring out certain tools needed, and I'm working on the write-up to this point since I've got some down time. More updates coming soon!
    TwoBobs and Kazimodo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by techtoME View Post
    Just wanted to provide a quick update on this...torn down to the timing chains, the aftermarket cam tools I purchased did not align properly so I'm waiting on tools from Mopar Essentials before I can proceed. I have about 10-12 hours into it so far which includes figuring out certain tools needed, and I'm working on the write-up to this point since I've got some down time. More updates coming soon!
    Looking forward to your write up! I don't have a need to replace any injectors at the moment but I appreciate the time, effort and frustrations with projects like this - I've done write ups with pictures and instructions for engine swaps, suspension upgrades and drivetrain R&R's and understand the extra time it takes to document the entire process.

Thanks again!

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6635 times
    Quote Originally Posted by techtoME View Post
    So regarding the GDE...Iíve had it for a couple years now. Aside from the more aggressive tow mode that I paid the extra for and the lower cruise set speed Iíve seen zero changes with that ECM. No increase in fuel or DEF efficiency, no noticeable acceleration or lag changes. I read so many glowing reviews about it I expected significant changes but not for me.

I reached out to them, admittedly too long after install my fault not theirs, just to see what help they could offer. I wasnít looking for a refund, I was just asking if I could send it back to them to have it checked for whatever might be wrong after explaining that Iíve seen no results; Iím a mechanic but no programmer so I donít know if itís possible for a tune to be written incompletely or something and I paid a lot of money for no results so was just looking for some customer support. They told me ďif the cruise sets below 20 then the tune is presentĒ. They did offer without me asking to give a 50% refund in exchange for a stock ECM but I decided on keeping it because I did appreciate the tow mode, but damn that was an expensive tow mode modification.
    You are essentially missing the main reason for GDE. It is NOT a performance modification. No NO NO.What it is a modification to turn off the EGR system, quiet down the DEF sensors and make your engine run clean without as many CEL issues. It is a very successful modification that many feel is essential to longevity and clean operation. You obviously are intelligent but seemed to have missed the entire point of GDE.

Tried to explain it to you. Sometimes people struggle to understand.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    You are essentially missing the main reason for GDE. It is NOT a performance modification. No NO NO.What it is a modification to turn off the EGR system, quiet down the DEF sensors and make your engine run clean without as many CEL issues. It is a very successful modification that many feel is essential to longevity and clean operation. You obviously are intelligent but seemed to have missed the entire point of GDE.

Tried to explain it to you. Sometimes people struggle to understand.
    You are correct, I did not acknowledge the fact that this ECM modifies the EGR system and contributes to a cleaner engine. The EGR tube and intake manifold from my engine do look pretty good for over 140K miles so the tune seems to be doing its job in that regard. That said, I don't think it's a fair criticism to say that I missed the point of the tune. It is heavily advertised by them that it will contribute to greater fuel economy and improved drivability and performance, even showing dyno readings that display significant improvement. Couple this with the high number of very positive reviews that revolve around performance and economy gains, is it crazy to think that I would have expected some noticeable changes? All this said I'm not looking to reach a resolution with GDE on this, it's been a long time and the tune will soon be erased anyways once I complete the settlement modification.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links