New owner of 2016 1500 Longhorn

New owner of 2016 1500 Longhorn

This is a discussion on New owner of 2016 1500 Longhorn within the Introductions forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel category; Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and my journey to finally getting the truck i wanted. I live in PA, coming from an 08' F150 ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Jcc39
  • 1 Post By dieseldoya
  • 1 Post By VernDiesel
  • 2 Post By andymax

Thread: New owner of 2016 1500 Longhorn

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and my journey to finally getting the truck i wanted. I live in PA, coming from an 08' F150 FX4, supercab, 5.4L, great truck and sold it with 152k mi. I've been looking at the ecodiesel for over 2yrs now and been on these forums for the past 1.5yrs learning and educating myself on the truck.

I narrowed down my needs to a crew cab, ram boxes, air suspension, 5'7" bed, front/rear parking sensors, under 60k mi, under $35k, usa truck and clear title.
    There werent many trucks that matched my criteria locally. I tried making offers on trucks in AR, IA, IN, VA, NJ but was always a day late, salespeople weren't responsive or they werent willing to ship.

I finally found one in MI that had everything i was looking for and more, under budget, 46k mi, new tires. Salesperson sent everything i requested including detailed underbody, engine pics, and entire service history since it was dealer maintained. Was also CPO and with the extended emmisions related warranty i pulled the trigger.

It was delivered on a trailer last week and I've put about 250 miles on it so far. It's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. Interior is immaculate, location and function of most of the buttons and controls are well thought out.

One big negative is the the truck received the AEM update as part of the CPO certification and i must say it has problems accelerating from a cold start if you don't let it warm up properly. It's like massive turbo lag and just wont go even though it's in 1st or 2nd gear, i almost got hit twice coming out of my neighborhood already because of this. I dont know if it's because of the aem or is just like that stock but it's very concerning. Im preparing to purchase a gde tune and possibly the gde transmission update that will hopefully resolve that acceleration issue.

Anyway thanks for reading, glad to finally join the forum and hope to be able to contribute in return from everything ive learned from you all on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New owner of 2016 1500 Longhorn-20190531_094042_1559959164067.jpg   New owner of 2016 1500 Longhorn-20190531_094032_1559959224893.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    502 times
    Welcome and Congratulations!
    It's about bloody time you pulled the trigger!

Now, go get the GDE Tune and forget about your woes. All will be well soon brother. That new rewrite is a POS and we all know it...
    Last edited by dieseldoya; 06-07-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammar
    Captainmal likes this.
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3588 times
    Welcome & congrats! Sharp truck. Lag sounds classic AEM.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    534 times
    Welcome to the forum. Nice truck.

Some people have said that if you do the procedure that GDE does after their install it helps with the throttle response issue. Don't remember what it is, something like pressing the throttle 6 times, key on , blink your eyes twice , yada yada....

Good luck with your new ride, still love my truck going into my 3rd year.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    You may want to check with GDE to see if they have the VIN on file...meaning the previous owner had the GDE tune. (obviously it is now overwritten by the AEM) If so, I think they'd only charge you the $50 for the re-tune. Doubtful, but worth a shot. Congrats on the new truck.
    Captainmal and Whammo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    554 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcc39 View Post
    Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and my journey to finally getting the truck i wanted. I live in PA, coming from an 08' F150 FX4, supercab, 5.4L, great truck and sold it with 152k mi. I've been looking at the ecodiesel for over 2yrs now and been on these forums for the past 1.5yrs learning and educating myself on the truck.

I narrowed down my needs to a crew cab, ram boxes, air suspension, 5'7" bed, front/rear parking sensors, under 60k mi, under $35k, usa truck and clear title.
    There werent many trucks that matched my criteria locally. I tried making offers on trucks in AR, IA, IN, VA, NJ but was always a day late, salespeople weren't responsive or they werent willing to ship.

I finally found one in MI that had everything i was looking for and more, under budget, 46k mi, new tires. Salesperson sent everything i requested including detailed underbody, engine pics, and entire service history since it was dealer maintained. Was also CPO and with the extended emmisions related warranty i pulled the trigger.

It was delivered on a trailer last week and I've put about 250 miles on it so far. It's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. Interior is immaculate, location and function of most of the buttons and controls are well thought out.

One big negative is the the truck received the AEM update as part of the CPO certification and i must say it has problems accelerating from a cold start if you don't let it warm up properly. It's like massive turbo lag and just wont go even though it's in 1st or 2nd gear, i almost got hit twice coming out of my neighborhood already because of this. I dont know if it's because of the aem or is just like that stock but it's very concerning. Im preparing to purchase a gde tune and possibly the gde transmission update that will hopefully resolve that acceleration issue.

Anyway thanks for reading, glad to finally join the forum and hope to be able to contribute in return from everything ive learned from you all on here.
    Have a black version of same truck. You will love it...my suggestions either 'Pedal Commander' (100% refundable) or GDE (much better/more expensive option). I added GDE at 50k and PC at 90k utilizing both simultaneously. Will roll 188,000 miles next week with over 4,450 hours. GDE 'electronically' shut off EGR saving your engine from breathing 'second hand soot' while maintaining clean exhaust integrity.

Thus far ZERO mechanical issues...congratulations and the forum has excellent, experienced members who enjoy helping others.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 282k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 189k / 4.480 hrs and counting

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6409 times
    Welcome to a newer truck and member of the forum.

As stated above, contact GDE with your VIN#. You just might bet lucky and if not, getting something like that would be a good idea for you and anyone else with an Ecodiesel.

I recently had the AEM. The dealer overwrote my GDE. GDE sent me another engine control module programmed like my old one. Sent my old one back in an exchange costing me little more than $50 plus postage. Now I did not feel the AEM caused operational trouble I could detect in the short ride home. Never rode it after that because of the EGR issue sooting up the engine. You are sooted up right now. Stop that with GDE and enjoy the ride.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Sponsored Links