Wierd problem when on cruise control

This is a discussion on Wierd problem when on cruise control within the Introductions forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel category; Hi, have a 2015 Ecodiesel Limited with about 40k miles. A couple times while on highway with cruise activated it was if the brakes were ...

Member #

Hi, have a 2015 Ecodiesel Limited with about 40k miles. A couple times while on highway with cruise activated it was if the brakes were applied briefly (but pretty hard) and the cruise disabled. Really bizarre and disquieting while otherwise enjoying a nice drive.

Anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    523 times
    Welcome to the forum.
    Haven't heard that one yet. Are you saying that the brakes are actually being applied without touching them? I don't believe that these trucks have automatic forward braking sensors.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4x4
    Liked
    12 times
    Being a Limited, does it have adaptive cruise control? Maybe it is sensing something in front of you and slowing you down? Not sure how that works, never had it on anything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    520 times
    These trucks dont have adaptive cruise control but the traction control and stability control are still active when using cruise control. If you hit a puddle of water or took a corner to fast that could cause it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6376 times
    Welcome - First post.

As you read above, you may have a unique situation. Never had an issue with mine but I rarely use cruise control. I'm a bit leery of these computer control features. You figure something out, report back.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Laramie Longhorn CC 4x2
    Liked
    8 times
    I have had this happen multiple times while on the freeway. Most of them at the almost exact same location on the way into the office. By time I look at the screen, I will catch a glimpse of the cruise control deactivated message.
    The first time it happened I panicked and stopped at the dealer, which I drive past on the way into the office everyday. They ran a diagnostic but did not find any codes. I was at maybe 10,000 miles at the time.
    It was the third time it happened that it dawned on me that it's happening in the same spot where there is a dip in the freeway causing some float coming out of it and a slight right curve.
    It has happened a couple other times, other than that spot, with similar conditions. An overpass on the freeway with a hard dip/bump causing float coming out of, or into, it with the cruise set at 72-74mph.
    Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it always throws a jolt in me that something just went really wrong. Especially how hard it shuts it down. Yes, almost like the brakes were slammed on for a second.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC Bighorn EcoDiesel 2WD
    Liked
    130 times
    Have not had this happen in my Ram, but my Tahoe would do it like @hawgwildinLB mentioned every time I went thru a particular dip on the highway at 80. If I was in left lane nothing, in right lane cruise would turn off. Decel was rather abrupt, I imagine it would be worse in an EcoD
    2015 Bighorn CC 2WD short bed Granite Crystal
    AMP power steps, Extang Encore bed cover, Timbergrove airbags, Hellwig rear sway bar

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Have not had this happen in my Ram, but my Tahoe would do it like @hawgwildinLB mentioned every time I went thru a particular dip on the highway at 80. If I was in left lane nothing, in right lane cruise would turn off. Decel was rather abrupt, I imagine it would be worse in an EcoD
    Oh my. Daughter just bought a new Tahoe this past week. Will ask if she has a similar experience. Never heard of anything like that on any vehicle.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IHAWK View Post
    Hi, have a 2015 Ecodiesel Limited with about 40k miles. A couple times while on highway with cruise activated it was if the brakes were applied briefly (but pretty hard) and the cruise disabled. Really bizarre and disquieting while otherwise enjoying a nice drive.

Anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing?
    I have the same truck with similar mileage.
    Never experienced this and I use cruise always.
    Must have been a fluke. The truck does not know how to stop on its own.
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2282 times
    It is possible that a scenario similar to what @hawgwildinLB described where the vehicle stability control causes the cruise to disengage/brakes applied. If the vehicle has had any front end work or feels like it pulls/handles funny there could be an issue with the steering angle sensor. The steering sensor works in conjunction with vehicle speed and accelerometers to determine corrective action by the VSC.
    @IHAWK see if you can pick up a pattern or location that it happens, might give the dealer an idea where to look.

Sponsored Links