Military service thread

Military service thread

This is a discussion on Military service thread within the Military Services & Veterans forums, part of the Off Topic Section category; Joined the Marines in '82 while I was in college. Bounced between active and reserve organizations while trying to finish school. Was damned impressed with ...

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Military service thread

Member #
    Vehicle
    '88 BMW 535is, Ram 1500 Laramie
    Liked
    338 times

Military service thread

Joined the Marines in '82 while I was in college. Bounced between active and reserve organizations while trying to finish school. Was damned impressed with the Marine officers I'd worked with, so a couple months before graduation I went to see the Marine recruiter re. going to OCS. To my surprise OCS was full so I'd have to wait a year. Didn't want to flip burgers for a year. Happened to notice a big US Army Ranger poster at the Army recruiter's office next door. Went in and said "so tell me about these Army Rangers." A couple months later, Fall88, I went from SGT Gress, USMC, to Officer Candidate Gress, US Army.

Left active duty in '98 and joined the Guard/Reserves. Retired in '05 with 23yrs.

I should have gotten out when I was younger. I stayed in too long. Being a young Marine was a blast. Being an Infantry Lt was a blast. But it was all downhill from there. Being a CPT sucked and being a Major was a horror. I had thought that when I became more senior I'd be able to do all sort of good shit. I'd be able to plan, resource and execute kick-ass training that would really do some good. But the reality was that I was in a system that largely prevented anything useful from happening. Scheduling range time and ammo had to be done 18months out. I was spending all my time with briefing slides, "safety checks" of personally owned vehicles, dental statistics, inventorying equipment, sensitivity training, never-ending run arounds re. the 5% that needed to be kicked out and the list of silly time-wasters was infinite. It was so bad that several times I bought ammo, used my own rifles, and took soldiers to a civilian range so they could do some reasonably realistic live fire drills. Pretty much the only time I could really do whatever I training I wanted was during morning PT. I was driving my bosses crazy, I was driving my peers crazy, it was time to get out.
    Last edited by RangerGress; 03-12-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Sasquatchilly and JohnnyMac like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Thank you for your service. I just hit 16 years active myself. Cheers.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4 EcoDiesel(on order as of 08/01/2014)
    Liked
    59 times
    My marine cousin is the black sheep of the family, literally. Except the sheep part I guess. He's the only black member of the family(and our parents had 13 siblings so its a big family), and was born on Canadian soil to mixed-nationality parents(Canada/US) so he got dual-citizenship. He lived in Niagara Falls and eventually stayed in the U.S. and went marine. He has a thick Canadian accent/vocabulary so he'd be instantly sticking out with his fellow marines the way he stick out in our family photos lol...Love the guy and he's off in Korea or something which is shifty as hell so I pray he comes back to run a few miles on the farm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    AF EOD here. Lived in UT for a while running around on the Utah Test and Training Range blowing up dud bombs/submunitions/etc and absolutely loving the high desert mountain life. Was non-volunteered to be an instructor in FL and my 4 year prison sentence is almost up. I'm pretty excited to go back to doing the job instead of talking about it, but this last part (area of instruction) has been a hell of a lot of fun. Will be California bound before the end of the year so back to mountains and dry air for me (I loathe humidity).
    JohnnyMac likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StraydogEOD View Post
    AF EOD here. Lived in UT for a while running around on the Utah Test and Training Range blowing up dud bombs/submunitions/etc and absolutely loving the high desert mountain life. Was non-volunteered to be an instructor in FL and my 4 year prison sentence is almost up. I'm pretty excited to go back to doing the job instead of talking about it, but this last part (area of instruction) has been a hell of a lot of fun. Will be California bound before the end of the year so back to mountains and dry air for me (I loathe humidity).
    Cool, I'm a TACP. What part of Florida? My tech school was at hurbie.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    tazman665 and JohnnyMac like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Right next door at Eglin. I've run into a bunch of you guys in AFG, met some real good dudes on the trip to KAF but I can't quite remember the names as it's been about 4 years since I was last allowed to actually do stuff (plus I know there is more than a dozen of you so chances are you might not know them regardless, you know the same ole "Hey, I know Amn/Sgt/Pvt Salty Nuts, do you know him since you are in the military?").
    JohnnyMac likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    US Army 1966-1969
    14th ACR Fulda
    11th ACR Vietnam 1968-1969
    11E40 MOS
    separated SSG E-6

Thanks to all that wear/ wore the uniform.

Some gave all
    All gave some

Old fart
    Last edited by OldMiner; 03-12-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2007 yukon 1500 xl denali
    Liked
    8 times
    I just hit 15 years of service.
    6 years as a army vehicle tech.
    9 years as a airforce firefighter.
    2004 bosnia
    2009 afghanistan
    Thanks for all who serve and support our troops.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 6'4" Granite Crystal ED
    Liked
    17 times
    US Army 1975-77
    1st/38th A co.
    2nd Inf. Div.
    Korea

Thanks to all my brothers & sisters who served!
    tazman665 and JohnnyMac like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    72 times
    I did 6 years in military intelligence (oxy moron). I had the hard duty assignments of Hawaii and Miami, FL. Got out 1 1/2 years before 9/11 and for the last 14 years I have been walking the toughest blocks around ie in prison but I get to leave every day.
    Firemut30 likes this.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links