Polaris Introduces Military-Grade Consumer Work Vehicle

This is a discussion on Polaris Introduces Military-Grade Consumer Work Vehicle within the Motorcycle/ATV/Powersport Forums forums, part of the Off Topic Lounge category; New Sportsman WV850 H.O. All-Terrain Vehicle Features Terrain Armor Non-Pneumatic Tires- US MSRP $14,999 Polaris® Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII), the leading manufacturer of off-road vehicles, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NickJ
  • 1 Post By Captainmal
  • 1 Post By sledogmilionair

Thread: Polaris Introduces Military-Grade Consumer Work Vehicle

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

New Sportsman WV850 H.O. All-Terrain Vehicle Features Terrain Armor Non-Pneumatic Tires- US MSRP $14,999

Polaris® Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII), the leading manufacturer of off-road vehicles, today announced the company is launching a new military-grade all-terrain vehicle (ATV) featuring Terrain Armor™ Non-Pneumatic Tires (NPT). The new Sportsman® WV850 H.O. with Terrain Armor will be available to consumers looking for a true work vehicle, in December 2013, in very limited quantities.

“In early, 2013, Polaris announced we’d launch the NPT technology on an off-road vehicle built for consumers,” said David Longren, vice president of Polaris’ Off-Road Division. “We have seen great success with NPTs in military and disaster relief scenarios and are excited to bring this technology to the consumer market for extreme work applications.”

Earlier this year, Polaris Defense started offering NPT tires as an option for its military vehicles. The technology is beneficial for military work due to the fact the tires never go flat. Polaris has tested NPTs under several extreme situations, including logging more than 350 miles/563 kilometers after receiving fire from a 50-cal round, and driving 1,000 miles/1609 kilometers with a 3 in/7.6 cm railroad spike in the tread and webbing. These tests lead to a confidence-building consumer vehicle, both in terms of durability and reliability, and ensure a highly-capable work and hunting partner. Beyond having no flats, consumers will appreciate the other benefits TerrainArmor tires offer including a better center-of-gravity, improved cornering due to less pushing and the capability for the tires to be designed for a diverse range of applications.

To complement the NPTs and ensure the Sportsman WV850 H.O. is a highly-capable work partner that performs under the most demanding environments, the vehicle includes:
    A military-grade fully automatic single-speed transmission including forward and reverse gears
    An upgraded shock package that offers superior handling under heavy load or while traversing rugged landscape
    An increased cooling capacity for long days and high temperatures
    Steel racks capable of carrying 600 lbs/272 kgs of cargo
    A 2 in/5.1 cm receiver hitch that can tow 1,500 lbs/680 kgs
    A standard 3,500 lb winch for confidence in extreme settings

More information, photos and specs about the Sportsman WV850 H.O. can be found over at PolarisATVForums.com.
    4Nines likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    That's bad arse! Those NPT's look pretty awesome on it.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Wicked! Looks like those NPT tires are one step closer to being available for private purchase. Next stop, automobiles

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6519 times
    Oh my!

That's like buying three of my Yamaha Kodiak 400's. Let's see...I have one. How many sets of tires can I get for the difference?

I do like those Polaris 3-wheel motorcycles (or trikes or whatever they are) . Whole lot better handling with real brakes compared to the three-wheeler I ride.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    What's the scoop on your three-wheeler? It looks really nice!

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6519 times
    No "scoop". Just one of my bikes. It started life in 1944 as a Greensburg, Pa. police bike. I still have the blue radio rack for the rear fender and the original siren that was on the front wheel. When it was made there was NO civilian production of motorcycles so I guess that makes it unusual.

It's a "U" Model - low compression 74 CI (now bored 60 over) that is typical 3 speed forward with reverse. I rode it solo for a couple decades and just in the late 90's finished the restoration on the sidecar. It's not original and not a show bike. It is fun to ride and I sometimes take it to local, Florida bars for bike nights, or days as the headlight sucks.

My right leg and knee no longer likes to start this bike. Poor leg got messed up thanks to BSA over the years. Think I might sell it soon because of that. 18K if you want it. Only one BSA left and it has a compression release. Bought it new so there's more sentiment than on the old Harley. Only kept the old Harley because we share the same birthday.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    What model BSA do you have? I have a 1950 B33.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4 EcoDiesel(on order as of 08/01/2014)
    Liked
    59 times
    Im gonna need another trailer...
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Ram-Related" Inventory History:

2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab 4x4 White 2-tone (on order as of 01/08/2014)
    -Security Group
    -3.92 F/D
    -Trailer Brake Controller
    -Carpet Delete
    -Outdoorsman Decal Delete(on rear of box, but badge on tailgate I left)
    -Leer 100XQ (ordered 02/12/2014)

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6519 times
    Had lots, both twins and singles. Only one left is my BSA 441 Victor Special. Bought it new and it still looks the same.
    4Nines likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4
    Liked
    62 times
    im gunna need a set of those tires in 35"x12" for the truck
    4Nines likes this.
    2014 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 / 3.92 LSD / 44-45 TC / BFG KO2 / Truxedo Lo Pro QT / Deleted badges and B pillar decal

Sponsored Links